• You cannot reply to this topic

Would You Please Stop? by Ursula K. Le Guin

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

http://blog.bookview...e-fucking-stop/

Would You Please Fucking Stop?

I keep reading books and seeing movies where nobody can fucking say anything except fuck, unless they say shit. I mean they don’t seem to have any adjective to describe fucking except fucking even when they’re fucking fucking. And shit is what they say when they’re fucked. When shit happens, they say shit, or oh shit, or oh shit we’re fucked. The imagination involved is staggering. I mean, literally.

There was one novel I read where the novelist didn’t only make all the fucking characters say fuck and shit all the time but she got into the fucking act herself for shit sake. So it was full of deeply moving shit like, “The sunset was just too fucking beautiful to fucking believe.”

I guess what’s happened is that what used to be a shockword has become a noise that’s supposed to intensify the emotion in what you’re saying. Or maybe it occurs just to bridge the gap between words, so that actual words become the shit that happens in between saying fucking?

Swearwords and shockwords used to mostly come out of religion. Damn, damn it, hell, God, God-damned, God damn it to hell, Jesus, Christ, Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ Almighty, etc. etc. A few of them appeared, rarely, in nineteenth-century novels, usually as “——” or more bravely as “By G—!” or “d—n!” (Archaic or dialect oaths such as swounds, egad, gorblimey were printed out in full.) With the twentieth century the religious-blasphemy oaths began to creep, and then swarm, into print. Censorship of words perceived as “sexually explicit” was active far longer. Lewis Gannett, the book reviewer for the old NY Tribune, had a top-secret list of words the publisher had had to eliminate from The Grapes of Wrath before they could print it; after dinner one night Lewis read the list out loud to his family and mine with great relish. It couldn’t have shocked me much, because I recall only a boring litany of boring words, mostly spoken by the Joads no doubt, on the general shock level of “titty.”

I remember my brothers coming home on leave in the second world war and never once swearing in front of us homebodies: a remarkable achievement. Only later, when I was helping my brother Karl clean out the spring, in which a dead skunk had languished all winter, did I learn my first real cusswords, seven or eight of them in one magnificent, unforgettable lesson. Soldiers and sailors have always cursed, what else can they do? But Norman Mailer in The Naked and the Dead was forced to use the euphemistic invention “fugging,” giving Dorothy Parker the chance, which naturally she didn’t miss, of cooing at him, “Oh, are you the young man who doesn’t know how to spell ‘fuck?’”

And then came the Sixties, when a whole lot of people started saying shit, even if they hadn’t had lessons from their brother. And before long all the shits and fucks were bounding forth in print. And finally we began to hear them from the lips of the stars of Hollywood. So now the only place to get away from them is movies before 1990 or books before 1970 or way, way out in the wilderness. But make sure there aren’t any hunters out in the wilderness about to come up to your bleeding body and say Aw, shit, man, I thought you was a fucking moose.

I remember when swearing, though tame by modern standards, was quite varied and often highly characteristic. There were people who swore as an art form – performing a dazzling juncture of the inordinate and the unexpected. It seems weird to me that only two words are now used as cusswords, and by many people used so constantly that they can’t talk or even write without them.

Of our two swearwords, one has to do with elimination, the other (apparently) with sex. Both are sanctioned domains, areas like religion where there are rigid limits and things may be absolutely off-limits except at certain specific times or places.

So little kids shout caca and doo-doo, and big ones shout shit. Put the feces where they don’t belong!

This principle, getting it out of place, off limits, the basic principle of swearing, I understand and approve. And though I really would like to stop saying Oh shit when annoyed, having got on fine without it till I was 35 or so, I’m not yet having much success in regressing to Oh hell or Damn it. There is something about the shh beginning, and the explosive t! ending, and that quick little ih sound in between….

But fuck and fucking? I don’t know. Oh, they sound good as curses, too. It’s really hard to make the word fuck sound pleasant or kindly. But what is it saying?

I don’t think there are meaningless swearwords; they wouldn’t work if they were meaningless. Does fuck have to do with sex primarily? Or sex as male aggression? Or just aggression?

Until maybe 25 or 30 years ago, as far as I know, fucking only meant one kind of sex: what the man does to the woman, with or without consent. Now, both men and women use it to mean coitus, and it’s become (as it were) ungendered, so that a woman can talk about fucking her boyfriend. So the strong connotations of penetration and of rape should have fallen away from it. But they haven’t. Not to my ear, anyhow. Fuck is an aggressive word, a domineering word. When the guy in the Porsche shouts Fuck you, asshole! he isn’t inviting you to an evening at his flat. When people say Oh shit, we’re fucked! they don’t mean they’re having a consensual good time. The word has huge overtones of dominance, of abuse, of contempt, of hatred.

So God is dead, at least as a swearword; but hate and feces keep going strong. Le roi est mort, vive le fucking roi.

– UKL

#2 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

For an alternative perspective, see Stephen Fry on the joys of swearing: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=s_osQvkeNRM
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

The fuck's her problem?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

Just one of those things. I bet she read an article in the 1940's written by a novelist from the 1880's who wrote "Damn and Blast, would you bloody well stop?"

I DO however think that when it is overused that "fuck" becomes rather tawdry and lazy...BUT I don't think I ever equated it to mean aggressive male sex...maybe that's cause I'm not as old as LeGuin, I dunno.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

Gender politics aside, it is lazy writing if used gratuitously. A little in dialogue adds spice and can reveal character. But in narration, even first-person? Lack of imagination and skill on the part of the author.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 12 August 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Gender politics aside, it is lazy writing if used gratuitously. A little in dialogue adds spice and can reveal character. But in narration, even first-person? Lack of imagination and skill on the part of the author.

Indeed, this is why I like that Harry Dresden only trots our the F-word once every few books and normally only uses it once in situations when Harry is really mad. Butcher knows how to use it and when.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

When I saw what the article was about, and that UKL wrote it, I basically rolled my eyes. But I was pleasantly surprised by the article itself, which was well-written and enjoyable, even if it was a little overlong for its point. Mostly I agree with her, even I, who count Matthew Stover among my favorite authors and Caine among my favorite characters.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

Other than the title and the last two paragraphs, it is pretty much just describing the current and historical trends of swearing, so I agreed up until that point...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

This is appropriate use

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:02 AM

Someone send her Stover's Caine books imfuckingmediately.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

Have to admit, I felt a bit disappointed when Steve started using "fuck" more than halfway through the Malazan series after five (six?) books of creative made-up swears. Felt a bit lazy and unnecessary.

#12 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard
  • Interests:Photography, Art, History, Reading, Wildlife, Hiking, Camping, Fishing

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

I'm not a fan of the word, especially because it is so commonly used now for no actual reason. It can be a noun, a verb, or an entire sentence by itself. It really is ridiculous.
"Ignoring him, she stepped back out of the ellipse and began singing in the Woman's Language, which was, of course, unintelligible to Iskaral's ears. Just as the Man's Language-which Mongora called gibberish-was beyond her ability to understand. The reason for that, Iskaral Pust knew, was that the Man's Language was gibberish, designed specifically to confound women."

-The Bonehunters-

"What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, 'Don't ask.' Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished"

-The Bonehunters-

#13 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

It's also one of the few words in English that can be used as an infix, which makes it really cool.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#14 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 17 August 2011 - 02:21 PM, said:

Have to admit, I felt a bit disappointed when Steve started using "fuck" more than halfway through the Malazan series after five (six?) books of creative made-up swears. Felt a bit lazy and unnecessary.
Yes, whilst I have no problem with 'fuck' and other such language, their use in the later Malazan books never raised such joyous sentiments within me as Gral-Fiddler's "Anal Crust of Dysenteried Goats" did in DG.
I am the Onyx Wizards

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users