• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME Art-Off Darrell K. Sweet vs. tons of new artists

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

Part 1.

I was rather surprised Sweet came out as well as he did in this. From the first seven books, I rated Sweet as ahead with 3 covers, but the new Tor ebook covers trounced him with 4. And with some of Sweet's worst covers (and some of the worst covers in the history of the genre) coming up, I suspect the Tor ebooks will walk it. But Sweet surprisingly not going down without a fight.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

you know in all fairness sweet had a better sense of the story than most of the new artists. I really appreciate how one artist re-imagined book two, trollocs and all. That felt right. A bit embarassing for Sweet but good for the story.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#3 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

I'd have to agree with the commenters about the eBook cover for ACoS -- one of my favourite moments from the entire series, it totally deserved recognition on a cover.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#4 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

Part 2.

Sweet gets curb-stomped here ;)

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

Nice Wert, I agree with every single one of your choices.

#6 User is offline   Nuto 

• Recruit

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

The new covers are cool, but nothing compared to the German covers ;)

http://www.radderzei...hp?action=books
When the rabbit of chaos is pursued by the ferret of disorder through the fields of anarchy, it is time to hang your pants on the hook of darkness. Whether they're clean or not.

#7 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

View PostNuto, on 19 July 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

The new covers are cool, but nothing compared to the German covers ;)

http://www.radderzei...hp?action=books

Hah, I love the way the German publisher has basically agreed with Wert's picks of the best Sweet covers, and stuck two fingers up at the rest, even though they needed 3 or four covers for each single volume. (Why split it so much? Is German book-binding technology that bad?)
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#8 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 20 July 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

Hah, I love the way the German publisher has basically agreed with Wert's picks of the best Sweet covers, and stuck two fingers up at the rest, even though they needed 3 or four covers for each single volume. (Why split it so much? Is German book-binding technology that bad?)

German is apparently one of the most word-inefficient languages around (I've been told by actual German-speakers). If you take an English novel and translate it into German, its length will rocket up by quite a lot, hence the need to split the books.

#9 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

I've seen (and coded) German translations. It normally expands the word count by approx 30%. They turned The Shadow Rising into 4 books!
-- Oscar Wilde

#10 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

I agree with almost all your choices. I prefer the new ACoS cover. Nyneave over coming her block is a huge development IMO.

I also get a kick out of APoD's new cover featuring Jean Grey, Ilyana Rasputin, and Kitty Pryde Elyane, Nyneave, and Avi.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#11 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

the new perrin on the crossroads of twilight and the tower of midnight covers are stunning. Wow.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#12 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:58 PM

I also like many of the new covers way more. Some of the old ones were embarrassingly bad.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#13 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

View PostWerthead, on 20 July 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

German is apparently one of the most word-inefficient languages around (I've been told by actual German-speakers). If you take an English novel and translate it into German, its length will rocket up by quite a lot, hence the need to split the books.

And its also just typical for the european publishers, particularly those that publish translated novels, to publish more, smaller books. Novels of WoT/MBotF/aSoIaF size are split in two or three in French, Dutch, Polish, German, Russian and plenty of other translations, for example.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#14 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

View PostD, on 23 July 2011 - 06:11 PM, said:

And its also just typical for the european publishers, particularly those that publish translated novels, to publish more, smaller books. Novels of WoT/MBotF/aSoIaF size are split in two or three in French, Dutch, Polish, German, Russian and plenty of other translations, for example.

I've heard this but never really knew why it was done so often. Any reason it's so typical?

I agree with most of Wert's choices as well. Honestly, I'm surprised at how good some of the new covers are.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#15 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:00 AM

I prefer almost all of the new covers. Something about Sweet's style really rubs me the wrong way - maybe it's because all of the characters' eyes point in different directions.
*casting the shaved knuckle*

#16 User is offline   Leanoric 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

View Postansible, on 23 July 2011 - 09:58 PM, said:

View PostD, on 23 July 2011 - 06:11 PM, said:

I've heard this but never really knew why it was done so often. Any reason it's so typical?

I agree with most of Wert's choices as well. Honestly, I'm surprised at how good some of the new covers are.

I believe one reason they split the books up is the time it takes to translate them. Translating a 900 page book satisfactorily takes a while. If you can do the first 300 pages and release the book, then people can be reading it while you translate the rest.

#17 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen,
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:35 AM

i prefer much the orbit UK ones, i have those editions from book 1-9, then i have 2 awful ones, COT and new spring,
it's a rather simple rendition of the wheel, serpent eating/biting its own tail,
maybe 1 of the reasons i haven't picked up, KOD, TGS and TOM,
hence may also be the reason orbit chose not to print those covers, but in consolation, a part of the original cover can be seen at the back,

This post has been edited by yuna_anomander25: 10 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan
'Ippen shinde miru (want to try dying this once) ?' - Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

#18 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

out of all those new covers, i like the KOD 1, love Min in that one,
and it's done by Komarck, whose work i really like in the SP edition of the GOTM,
It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan

#19 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostWerthead, on 19 July 2011 - 01:34 PM, said:

Part 2.

Sweet gets curb-stomped here :harhar:

i haven't noticed for such a long time that Tuon was part of the cover of COT, as i only have the mmpb one, she's covered with the title on the side of the book, WOW,
KOD cover, has all the things i like, Komarck's art, Rand w/ Min and one of my favorite Forsaken Semirhage,
that image of Perrin w/ his hammer in TOM, would put Thor's hammer to shame, if only he could be as bad-ass in the books that is,
NS cover has an anime-feel to it,

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users