• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Re-read Chapter 2

#1 User is offline   ajsr1982 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

It's me again!

Ok, Chapter two is down. Not so mind-boggling this time. In a lot of ways I think that's a shame, because we get introduced to a fair number of pivotal characters here, and it's just like - Bam! There you go! - there's a lot to take in, in a very short space of time. But reading through again, all the classic character traits are there early on. The quiet reassuring presence of Kalam, the jumpy, yet mysteriously powerful Quick Ben, the foreboding sense of overwhelming power that Rake possesses.

A good chapter though, with lots going on. Reading this again though, and knowing what the rest of the books are like, I find myself looking for twists and plots within plots that perhaps aren't really there!

So what do we find out here? Well, Tattersail and Hairlock aren't the best of friends. Saying that, it would appear that Hairlock isn't anybody's friend - an excellently written character, almost instantly hateable! We get much of this chapter from Tattersail's point of view, and I have to say, I think she shows her naivety throughout. The battle, for example. She was clearly concentrating on her own survival, and during the numb aftermath, she is easily led to believe that Tayschrenn had turned against the rest of the mages, and a mighty grudge forms. I don't remember the rest of the book too clearly at this point, but it seems a little naive to me.

The deal that was struck between Hairlock and The Bridgeburners is intriguing. For a number of reasons.

1. Hairlock must have had some forewarning of what was about to happen - indeed, he was taunting Tayschrenn that he knew which other mages were about to appear.
2. It must have been a two-ended deal, so QB must get something from his side of the bargain - more on that later I guess.
3. By all accounts, The Bridgeburners were in the tunnels - what made Hairlock so sure that they would make it out?

Sorry's presence is an interesting one here as well. Of course, we know enough about Sorry to know why Tattersail, and particularly Quick Ben are so cautious of her. They know something is going on there though. I find it odd that Sorry drops hints that would potentially give the game away though, by letting Quick Ben know that she felt him blocking her, for example. Also interesting that Tattersail knows that Quick Ben 'Isn't the name he was born with'. A vague sense of familiarity perhaps? Does Tattersail know more about him than she's letting on? She does concede that 'That sort of power gets noticed'.

There are various theories flying round here that someone at the top wants The Bridgeburners dead. And indeed following the battle, it would seem as though that has been pretty much achieved. But they have a plan!

I also wonder to what extent Rake exerted himself here. He clearly responds to the Malazan onslaught, but the details here are a bit sketchy. We get a point of view that Rake wasn't specifically aiming at anything in particular, which gives the impression that Rake was just doing enough to avert disaster for himself, but he wasn't over-troubled. Again, more on this later I guess.

And finally we see the Deck reading from Tattersail. The presence of Rake isn't too surprising, and I love the line 'You never give up the truth so easily' - an excellent building block. We don't know anything about Oponn at this point, but we are informed that they are the gods of chance, and Tattersail seems to be heartened by this, not that I really understand why. It adds to my sense of her being somewhat naive to be honest!

Anyway, lots going on here! As ever, comments welcome.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

Quick question about the reading, and if I'm wrong about which reading that is I don't think it'll spoil your reread at all: I vaguely remember that at one point Tattersail might have been heartened because the Oponn card landed so that the sister (pull) was on top and the brother (push) below so it was a good omen. Or am I remember it wrong?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   ajsr1982 

• Recruit

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

Yes, I believe you're right. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see what this signifies (to Tattersail at least).

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

Well, it's naturally pretty vague stuff, but the pull is generally good luck and the push is bad luck.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   ajsr1982 

• Recruit

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

Thanks, makes more sense knowing that. I both love and hate these kind of subtleties in this series!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users