Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Cosmere Conundurum Spoilers for ALL BS books till tWoK

#1 User is offline   Aooga 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Without having looked very carefully I could not spot any thread topic discussing the overall universe of Brandon Sanderson aka the cosmere.
So decided to create this thread to hopefully get answers to my own n00b questions and may be enlighten others.

#####SPOILERS for all the following books: Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker and The Way of Kings###
BIG TITTIED SPOILERS WITH SPOILERS IMPLANTS!!

ok you've been warned

So it's no secret that BS is planning some overarching plot to connect all his various novels written to date (not including WoT (yet) or those kid books). What we know so far is that at least one character makes an appearance in all the books, namely Hoid. Who or what he is is anyone's guess. What's clear is that he's some kind of planet hopper. I think that's all that's really clear. Ok we also know about the shards but....what do we know about the shards really? A shard is weapon, an entity, an elemental being what exactly? There are plenty of discussions on other boards where the speculation goes completely over my head as I just don't have a clear idea of all the reference points.

So, I guess what I'd first like to ask of those fans with very strong quote fu are book and page references for:

- all mentions of Hoid in Elantris, Warbreaker and Mistborn.
- all mentions of the cosmere and these so called 'shards' in all the books. Some of these are pretty obscure. e.g. one of those chapter headers in tWoK makes mention of a name that just happens to be the same as the being Ruin in Mistborn (apparently it was his original name.

aaaaaand..go!

This post has been edited by Aooga: 17 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

#2 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

What was said above for me to....

I can't remeber Hoid from any of the books ;)

#3 User is offline   RolandDeschain 

• Corporal

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

I remember Hoid from Elantris and Warbreaker, but wasn't he also in The Way of Kings? Its been a while since I read TWoK but wasn't Hoid a character that had a conversation with Kaladin before or after a battle. I remember Kaladin sitting down with this person and talking, cant remember what?? I though that was Hoid.

TWoK was my first Brandon Sanderson book, I knew nothing of Hoid or the Cosmere back then. Only after reading the book that I learned about Hoid and then noticed him in Elantris and Warbreaker.

This post has been edited by RolandDeschain: 29 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

"Go then, there are other worlds than these."

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

So far, Hoid has been in each of brandon's series'.

in Mistborn, he's an informant that Vin ends up not talking to for no reason other than her 'instincts'. though i'm inclined to believe that was ruin's influence talking, as hoid obviously knows a lot about him

in elantris and warbreaker he's a storyteller, yes? i haven't read those for a while.

in WoK he is the King's Wit, and apparently one of the books in tSA will feature his POV, which should kick ass

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 29 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, I also remember Hoid from Mistborn, but I missed him in Elantris (as that was my first Sanderson and I wasn't looking for him yet), and Warbreaker, but I think he's most present and clear in TWOK when he has his convo with Kaladin on the Shattered Plains especially.

The Shards are interesting, in fact there is a whole website called the http://www.17thshard.com/ where they discuss the cosmere at length. I seem to recall something about Preservation and Ruin in Mistborn are shards. Basically the idea being that all the magics from the different worlds would have their beginnings with the Shards which is why I think that Stormlight will probably shed the most light on them...but I could be wrong. Seeing as it's Sanderson's lifelong epic series baby though it seems plausible we'll get much more with the next installment in the SLA.

that's all I've got.

EDIT: Here's a link with some info put together on the Cosmere.

http://www.17thshard...91-cosmere-101/

This post has been edited by King Kazma: 29 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, Hoid has been in every one of Sanderson's adult fantasy novels. WoT is not part of it and never will be, since Sanderson is doing work for hire on that series and it would not be appropriate to link it in with Jordan's work. Alcatraz is also not part of it.

Something very interesting that Sanderson said a long time ago:

Spoiler

According to Sanderson his books are a bit like Stephen King's multiverse: stand-alone, readable series in their own right, but there will (eventually) be a book or series of books explaining all the links, fulfilling the function that THE DARK TOWER does in King's mythology (so you can read THE STAND and EYE OF THE DRAGON as individual novels, but then DARK TOWER shows how Randall Flagg links the two books together and furthers Flagg's story in THE DARK TOWER itself). At different times he's said the DRAGONSTEEL series (seven books, which he probably won't work on until after STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE, so maybe still a decade off in the future) or a single novel called just HOID will explain everything.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 31 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#7 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

I love it when authors do this stuff.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#8 User is offline   Dravon 

• Sergeant

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

While I only learned about the Cosmere a few weeks ago. This does explain (something which I had thought to be just his writing style)why the Lashings of tWoK felt so very similar to the pushing and pulling of metalurgy of Mistborn. I should of given him more credit as a writer, then to have just assumed. I wonder if we will see kaladin beginning to subtley effect the emotions of those around him?

#9 User is offline   Held 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Epic world building fantasy...SE the best.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:12 AM

View PostDravon, on 03 August 2011 - 05:12 AM, said:

While I only learned about the Cosmere a few weeks ago. This does explain (something which I had thought to be just his writing style)why the Lashings of tWoK felt so very similar to the pushing and pulling of metalurgy of Mistborn. I should of given him more credit as a writer, then to have just assumed. I wonder if we will see kaladin beginning to subtley effect the emotions of those around him?

I like this idea because I think he already is unknowingly effecting the emotions of those around him. If he figures out that he can do this, wow.

“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” --Paul Sweeney

#10 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:25 AM

View PostHeld, on 25 August 2011 - 04:12 AM, said:

View PostDravon, on 03 August 2011 - 05:12 AM, said:

I like this idea because I think he already is unknowingly effecting the emotions of those around him. If he figures out that he can do this, wow.

if this does happen, i think it would be a more indirect effect of his radiant powers. there's a possibility that there are powers in roshar that can directly affect emotions, but from what info we have after WoK, i'm not prepared to accept that kaladin has those powers. his force of personality, his generosity as well as his superhuman abilities are what combine to affect his companions.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#11 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostWerthead, on 31 July 2011 - 08:45 PM, said:

Spoiler

Been reading Warbreaker and I found a couple of bits on Hoid in there that seemed very important.

Spoiler

#12 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

Last bit of that spoiler sounds like it could describe the start of stormlight

#13 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

I was searching for Hoid in ALLOY OF LAW and didn't spot him (but that means nothing, as I also missed him in the second MISTBORN book). Then I read the appendix and laughed my head off, as the appendix is written by Hoid and even compares Scadrial's magic system to that of the planet ELANTRIS takes place on (Sel). Nicely done by Sanderson.

EDIT: Ah, Hoid does put in an appearance:

Spoiler

EDIT2: Oh, interesting. Apparently there's several other characters who cross over between worlds:

Spoiler

EDIT3: Oh yes, there's also a letter in WAY OF KINGS which mentions Ati/Ruin (from MISTBORN) and events on Sel (from ELANTRIS' backstory) and seems to indicate the central conflict of STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE will have huge ramifications for the entire Cosmere, not just Roshar.

Some additional clarification on future plans:

After finishing AMoL, Sanderson will get straight into STORMLIGHT #2. He'll then write STORMLIGHT #3-5, but interspersed with one or two more short Wax/Wane MISTBORN side-books. He will then write the second MISTBORN trilogy in its entirety, and then STORMLIGHT #6-10, interspersed with either other short side-books or maybe WARBREAKER II, which he'll write gradually and post online as a work in progress, like he did with WB1. After STORMLIGHT is concluded, he will then write the third and final MISTBORN trilogy, which will apparently feature Hoid more heavily (based on WAY OF KINGS Hoid and the Cosmere setting will play a larger role in the rest of STORMLIGHT anyway). The MISTBORN III trilogy will apparently focus on magic-generated FTL travel, which may have time-distortion effects and explain how characters can cross between worlds and apparently not age.

There will also be a seven-book series called DRAGONSTEEL to come after STORMLIGHT and MISTBORN III which sounds like it will go right back to the start of the Cosmere and feature the shattering of Adonalsium as a major plot point. This is way, way off, however (we are talking maybe 2027-28 :Oops: before Brandon puts out the first book, assuming he keeps to one book a year and is not delayed by any further projects).

EDIT4: Apparently Sanderson evisages 36 books for the Cosmere setting. We are currently 6 books into that, so lots more to come.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 18 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#14 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Amontillado Tofu.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Clever bastard! *grumble* Now I may have to read beyond his Mistborn trilogy *grumble*

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

I've only caught Hoid in first reads of STORMLIGHT (obviously), and WARBREAKER and utterly missed him in the other material...and when I keep reading about these hints it always makes me want to do a re-read with the cosmere in mind as I do.

One day. Possibly before the next STORMLIGHT book comes out.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#16 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hoid is also a fairly important character in The Emperor's Soul though he doesn't appear on screen.

#17 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

Ok, Spoilers for Words of Radiance

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Possibly Brent Weeks: 06 March 2014 - 06:10 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#18 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:39 AM

Is Steeheart also part of the interconnected universe Sanderson is creating? Did Hoid or anyone else show up in that book in any form? Also, Sanderson is a writing machine, creating books left and right. I do believe that his plans to write the next 43 books will probably happen.
No Touchy.

#19 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

No. Steelheart and its sequels, Legion, the Alcatraz books and WoT (clearly) are all outside the Cosmere universe, as are the other YA series he has planned.

As for how WoR fits into the Cosmere, I think we have a better idea at the end of the book (I'm on page 900, so still not done yet).

Spoiler

The odd thing is that, according to Sanderson, the Stormlight Archive series is set in the Cosmere but should still be treating all the Cosmere stuff like Easter Eggs. But in the two books so far, it appears to be far more closely connected than that, especially with:

Spoiler

I wonder if Sanderson is considering making STORMLIGHT, which is going to be the longest series set in the Cosmere, more central than he previously thought.

#20 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:56 PM

This image gallery is the best summary I've seen of the different shards. Major spoilers: https://imgur.com/gallery/jaJX7KC

Highly recommended for anyone interested in this kind of thing.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 13 May 2020 - 12:56 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users