Malazan Empire: ASoIaF recap posts - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

ASoIaF recap posts For those who don't want to reread the series before ADWD Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

The first (probably of three) 'Story So Far' pieces for those who don't want to reread the books before ADWD comes out.

The first section deals with the mythical pre-history of the series leading up to the Targaryen invasion. Part 2 will deal with the Targaryen dynasty and hopefully will get into the books themselves.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:00 AM

View PostWerthead, on 19 June 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

The first (probably of three) 'Story So Far' pieces for those who don't want to reread the books before ADWD comes out.

The first section deals with the mythical pre-history of the series leading up to the Targaryen invasion. Part 2 will deal with the Targaryen dynasty and hopefully will get into the books themselves.

Wert, for this, you shall be boiled in AWESOMESAUCE.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

Nice job Wert, very helpful for those of us who don't have time for a reread.
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#4 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

Part 2.

This one got a bit out of control and ended up being far more detailed than I planned. Unfortunately, it's unclear what parts of the backstory will be essential in ADWD and which are just fluff and flavour, so I had no choice but to put in everything and the kitchen sink in.

The good news is that brings up up to the books, so the next part will hopefully be able to summarise the existing books more concisely (though it may take two to do them justice).

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:15 PM

#3 covering bks 1 and 2 was excellent.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

It was indeed, I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment. Now I know what I'm doing with myself I can go ahead and order the new book.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#7 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

Part 4 of the recap. Job done ;)

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

View PostWerthead, on 30 June 2011 - 03:06 PM, said:

Thanks for doing these man, I just really didn't want to re-read AFFC before ADWD.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 June 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

Thanks for doing these man, I just really didn't want to re-read AFFC before ADWD.

Agreed, I'm about 1/4 way through ASoS and don't know if I can finish it and AFfC before Dance comes out.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#10 User is offline   Dag 

• Burninating poodles since 1996

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

I finished the re-read 2 weeks ago, but these summaries were really a pleasure to read, Wert! Especially the first one, with all the background history. Thanks! ;)
The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

#11 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

It's amazing to me that there's stuff in those recaps that I've never caught on 3 series rereads. And it's almost always stuff that is right out there, that I smack myself for missing. Posted ImageThat's just how GRRM rolls, I guess... In particular, the Alleras/Sarella connection, HOW DID I NOT CATCH THAT?!

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#12 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

Wert, thanks are not enough. You need a...medal, or something, for this.

Super job.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 30 June 2011 - 06:16 PM, said:

It's amazing to me that there's stuff in those recaps that I've never caught on 3 series rereads. And it's almost always stuff that is right out there, that I smack myself for missing. Posted ImageThat's just how GRRM rolls, I guess... In particular, the Alleras/Sarella connection, HOW DID I NOT CATCH THAT?!

I'm in the boat that didn't catch that either. LOL!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#14 User is offline   Held 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Epic world building fantasy...SE the best.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

Big thanks for these recaps. Excellent!

“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” --Paul Sweeney

#15 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

Wert you can tell how good a job you did on these, by the fact that I want to reread the series again now.

#16 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

Nice.

I do wonder how they intend to do Harrenhal, and if it'll have the right feeling of being way too big, ruined and haunted.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#17 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

View PostGothos, on 01 July 2011 - 09:39 AM, said:

Nice.

I do wonder how they intend to do Harrenhal, and if it'll have the right feeling of being way too big, ruined and haunted.

It always makes me think of Gormenghast. The TV mini-series does a pretty respectable job of showing that, so maybe they'll look to that.

I would be surprised if the inspiration for Harrenhal wasn't Gormenghast.

#18 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

I think Winterfell is much more overtly based on Gormenghast. The crumbling ruins, the old, abandoned halls and half-collapsing towers. Harrenhal is huge but it's also very simple: five massive drum towers and a couple of smaller buildings in the courtyard, then an internal space so huge you could probably land a jumbo jet in there. Winterfell rambles on in all directions for several acres.

#19 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

Good work Wert. You should really put that out as a pocket handbook and get your a$$ sued!

;D
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#20 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

I just wanted to plug these recaps again for anyone who hasn't checked them out. And even for anyone who has. Not only because they are awesome and fun to read and full of great info, but because I'm coming up on page 500 of DANCE, and there are some pretty crucial plot threads I would be very, very hazy on if not for Wert's recaps.

This isn't a spoiler, but it's about the general structure of the novel and it HINTS in the VAGUEST WAY POSSIBLE at some general content that crops up in DANCE, so if you are a 100% purist (no impressions, no reviews, no NOTHING before a release), don't click into it.

Spoiler

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users