Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:31 PM

Here
Oh, me and my endless folly!

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:59 AM

is it uncouth to admit i'm kind of drooling over this book?

i've just finished way of kings for the first time too, and i'm pretty much locked in for the rest of the stormlight archive after that beauty. right here and now i'm going to say, the stormlight archive will rival the MBotF. there's no way it can't. BS is just too brilliant. the amount of thought that he's invested in his cosmere certainly rivals what SE and ICE have put into the malaverse.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 16 June 2011 - 06:59 AM, said:

i've just finished way of kings for the first time too, and i'm pretty much locked in for the rest of the stormlight archive after that beauty. right here and now i'm going to say, the stormlight archive will rival the MBotF. there's no way it can't. BS is just too brilliant. the amount of thought that he's invested in his cosmere certainly rivals what SE and ICE have put into the malaverse.

Yeah, agreed. I want to hold off on reading this excerpt because it's likely only going to make me salivate more and I don't think I can handle the wait for this one already. LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 June 2011 - 02:16 PM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 16 June 2011 - 06:59 AM, said:

Yeah, agreed. I want to hold off on reading this excerpt because it's likely only going to make me salivate more and I don't think I can handle the wait for this one already. LOL

I'm not sold on Sanderson... yet. Actually, at the moment I'm kinda torn about him. I'm lukewarm about Mistborn, but I like his WOT novels. I've heard Stormlight Archive is more like WOT than Mistborn, so I intend to cross my fingers and give book one try. I have to say though, Stormlight would have to be absolutely dragonfucknuts awesome to rival Malazan for me. I MUCH prefer Erikson's writing and narrative style over Sanderson's.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

View PostFuture Warrior, on 16 June 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

I have to say though, Stormlight would have to be absolutely dragonfucknuts awesome to rival Malazan for me.

I prefer Erikson too...but Stormlight (so far) IS damn good. At least to me, even one book in and I'm already blown away impressed and hooked for the forthcoming 9 books.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

i wouldn't say that the SA is really that much like WoT... i mean, there are well defined nations and cultures, but that's as far as i would compare them. everything else is incredibly original and compelling, and we've only just scratched the surface.

who thinks szeth could take dassem? :apt2:

- Oscar Levant

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 16 June 2011 - 06:15 PM, said:

i wouldn't say that the SA is really that much like WoT... i mean, there are well defined nations and cultures, but that's as far as i would compare them. everything else is incredibly original and compelling, and we've only just scratched the surface.

who thinks szeth could take dassem? :apt2:

I think a Szeth VS Dassem fight would be significantly epic.

#8 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:50 PM

As awesome as Szeth is, I have a feeling we're not even close to seeing the full potential of badassery yet. I think as more and more magic systems come into play, characters will get more and more powerful. I think Szeth is impressing everyone now with his power level of over 9,000, but by the end of the series the average fighter will be up in the several millions.

#9 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:36 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 16 June 2011 - 06:50 PM, said:

As awesome as Szeth is, I have a feeling we're not even close to seeing the full potential of badassery yet. I think as more and more magic systems come into play, characters will get more and more powerful. I think Szeth is impressing everyone now with his power level of over 9,000, but by the end of the series the average fighter will be up in the several millions.

So it goes.

#10 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:31 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 16 June 2011 - 06:50 PM, said:

and that's some of what i'm so excited about. right now, the only radiant powers we've seen are windrunning and soulcasting, and there's eight more? lemme at em!

back to alloy of law, there's gotta be some really sweet allomantic and feruchemical twinborn he's thought up. imagine pairing a Tin-Eye with a feruchemist who can increase his senses(can't remember that metal)? freaking x-ray vision! or a thug with gold feruchemical powers? invicibility???

- Oscar Levant

#11 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:48 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 16 June 2011 - 06:15 PM, said:

Well, so long as it's not like Mistborn...

#12 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Chapter two is up now as well. i think it will be an enjoyable read but Im getting, I dont know what to call it, a childish vibe from the book so far. Also Aluminium the most common metallic ellement on our world is worth more than gold or silver in theirs? I understand its a different world but out of every metal he could have chosen to be awesome, aluminium!?

#13 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

View PostCause, on 01 July 2011 - 10:58 AM, said:

Chapter two is up now as well. i think it will be an enjoyable read but Im getting, I dont know what to call it, a childish vibe from the book so far. Also Aluminium the most common metallic ellement on our world is worth more than gold or silver in theirs? I understand its a different world but out of every metal he could have chosen to be awesome, aluminium!?

Actually, for a few years after aluminum was discovered (up until around 1880), it was in fact more expensive than gold. Clearly Sanderson has done historical research.

Anyway, I finished the book today and liked it. Now, although it is advertised as a 'standalone' novel, does anyone who has read it NOT think there's going to be a sequel?

#14 User is offline   Held 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Epic world building fantasy...SE the best.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

Sanderson has said that there will be a sequel. He plans to write a couple novelettes between the 1st Mistborn trilogy and the second Mistoborn trilogy. I enjoyed this book. It was a fun and quick read. Lots of frenectic action and some mind boggling magic scenes. Wax & Wayne played off each other well and their banter was funny most of the time. Felt sorry for Miles at the end and was surprised to find a kandra in the story and Wax talking to Harmony. Steris is a wierd bird and I expect to see more of Marisal with Wax in the future. Thought Mr. Suit was suitably mysterious and we still don't know what his grand plan is. I'd recommend this for a read especially if you have read Mistborn or have invested in Sanderson's cosmere that all of his books tell a part of the story of this mysterious cosmere.

“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” --Paul Sweeney

#15 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:45 AM

I would totally cast Michael Fassbender as Wax <_<
*casting the shaved knuckle*

#16 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:46 AM

I have to be the discordant note here, but Sanderson is not on a similar level with Erikson. They work in different fields and to me, Sanderson is more of an industrial corn farmer than the independent and willfully experimental farmer that Erikson is.

I'll give an example: In Alloy, Sanderson has Marasi parrot the Broken Windows theory, which is something that's highly controversial and probably a near-absurdist reduction of the true causes. Erikson would have jumped into this even further, given us about five different perspectives on it that confirmed and/or cast doubt upon the theory and left us the better for having considered the idea. Sanderson just uses it as a quick quotable to show how smart Marasi is.

I didn't like the book once I was finished with it. Sanderson is readable, but he has problems with making anything truly memorable or unique. We're given a hero, a damsel in distress, a clear-cut bad guy, a shadowy figure who is the set-up for future books and so on. This isn't a stunning book by any stretch of the imagination. This book is basically mashed potatoes and a pork chop that's competently done and served to a hungry audience. Those who want more out of their actual food and literary food should look elsewhere.

I'll also refer to my criticisms of Sanderson's Mormon background and code of morality futzing with the presentation of his characters and storylines. Those can be found elsewhere.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#17 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

Got it, read it and want more.... Good thing he is writing more in this settign as there were a load of questions left to be asked..... such as was Spook really the only Mistborn after Sazed ascended? If so he must have been a busy boy sowing his wild oats ;o)

One section that made me wonder was
Spoiler

Now what odds that there is essentially a full mistborn/feruchemist twin born somewhere .....

#18 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

View Postamphibian, on 06 December 2011 - 03:46 AM, said:

I have to be the discordant note here, but Sanderson is not on a similar level with Erikson. They work in different fields and to me, Sanderson is more of an industrial corn farmer than the independent and willfully experimental farmer that Erikson is.

I'll give an example: In Alloy, Sanderson has Marasi parrot the Broken Windows theory, which is something that's highly controversial and probably a near-absurdist reduction of the true causes. Erikson would have jumped into this even further, given us about five different perspectives on it that confirmed and/or cast doubt upon the theory and left us the better for having considered the idea. Sanderson just uses it as a quick quotable to show how smart Marasi is.

I didn't like the book once I was finished with it. Sanderson is readable, but he has problems with making anything truly memorable or unique. We're given a hero, a damsel in distress, a clear-cut bad guy, a shadowy figure who is the set-up for future books and so on. This isn't a stunning book by any stretch of the imagination. This book is basically mashed potatoes and a pork chop that's competently done and served to a hungry audience. Those who want more out of their actual food and literary food should look elsewhere.

Given that description, I have to give credit to BS for producing exactly what he said he would; and further kudos for realising, as many authors would not, that in the midst of writing AMoL and book 2 of the Way of Kings, he simply can't write the Mistborn book he really wants to, but still wants to give his fans something in the universe.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#19 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

View PostHeld, on 03 December 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

and was surprised to find a kandra in the story

Where was that again?

#20 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:20 AM

there was a throw away mention of them by one of the characters in refernce to the roughs.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users