Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Corlo Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ammanas 

• UberSchemer
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:33 AM

Does anyone have even a marginally plausible explanation why Jemain cut off Corlo's leg at the knee?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

It had been damaged? It's not like they have time to perform surgery or waste denul healers on a prisoner when the biggest Stormrider attack in history is taking place.

EDIT: Corlo isn't an Avowed if that is what you're wondering. He couldn't just heal up like a super soldier.

This post has been edited by Pennyapt: 15 June 2011 - 03:46 AM

#3 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:10 AM

corlo's going in and out of consciousness at the time, but i seem to remember him noticing that a beam had crushed his leg, or something of that nature.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:33 AM

They didn't have 127 hours to waste.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:23 AM

jemain wanted a souvenir of when he and corlo "stood" the wall
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

Corlo's leg was pinned and crushed. It was cut it or leave him there with the Stormwall falling down around them.

Jemain knew nothing about the other Avowed, so getting one of them to lift the beam wasn't an option, and if the leg was crushed, wouldn't have made a difference, even assuming there was enough time before the whole thing fell.

Also, I suppose thematically, Corlo had to suffer for lying to Bars.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 June 2011 - 02:06 PM, said:

Corlo's leg was pinned and crushed. It was cut it or leave him there with the Stormwall falling down around them.

Jemain knew nothing about the other Avowed, so getting one of them to lift the beam wasn't an option, and if the leg was crushed, wouldn't have made a difference, even assuming there was enough time before the whole thing fell.

I still don't understand that whole 'lying' part of Corlo though... I mean, sure, at some point Corlo tells Bars there are others still on the wall, but when he said that, he had seen one other (forgot his name, though later on he appeared to have died shortly after). So in my book it wasn't really lying... Corlo had seen other avowed alive, he told Bars. Bars got hope again.
I'm probably seeing this completely wrong, but whatever :apt2:

What I also considered pretty strange... Sure, Corlo's leg was stuck and shit, but Jemain was busy cutting off the leg? Why not the otataral necklace? Maybe Corlo could've used his magic to get free? I suppose Jemain just didn't have the strength to pull it loose... Or, you know... it 'slipped' his mind :apt2:
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

I had that same feeling. Corlo lied about the specific number, I think, which is what got him feeling so guilty. But for the same reason you mention, I didn't feel the lie was even necessary. He could have told the truth and got the same reaction from Iron Bars, I think, avoiding the whole issue of lying. I dunno, I'd like clarity on that too.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

It also bothered me that none of the Avowed seemed particularly interested in busting collars off each other. I suppose they never ran into Corlo. But yeah, otataral deadens magic but it is not adamantium or some crazy-hard metal (per se) so efforts to remove it - ESPECIALLY with Corlo being a Meanas mage - would seem more pressing.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#10 User is offline   Seatiger 

• Soletaken

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

Ive got a theory Jemain was crazy about how the crimson gardsman got him landed in the hands of the stormgaurd and to exact his revenge he kept an eye on where everyone was and picked them off 1 at a time and Corlo was next on his list starting with his leg..
Take me as a knife and I will turn in your hand. I swear it.

#11 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:43 PM

View PostMcflury, on 16 June 2011 - 08:03 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 15 June 2011 - 02:06 PM, said:

I still don't understand that whole 'lying' part of Corlo though... I mean, sure, at some point Corlo tells Bars there are others still on the wall, but when he said that, he had seen one other (forgot his name, though later on he appeared to have died shortly after). So in my book it wasn't really lying... Corlo had seen other avowed alive, he told Bars. Bars got hope again.
I'm probably seeing this completely wrong, but whatever ;)

What I also considered pretty strange... Sure, Corlo's leg was stuck and shit, but Jemain was busy cutting off the leg? Why not the otataral necklace? Maybe Corlo could've used his magic to get free? I suppose Jemain just didn't have the strength to pull it loose... Or, you know... it 'slipped' his mind ;)

The collars are made of metal, and locked.

Not something that they can just easily bust out of without the tools to do so.

This post has been edited by Kanese S's: 28 September 2011 - 11:46 PM

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#12 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

not that theres much point in removing them, as the lady wasnt exactly going to just let them use there warrens
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users