Nightmares and Dreamscapes Sometimes the best short story is other's insanity

#1 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:56 AM

As usual, I was perusing the old threads and stumbled upon yet another Apt inspired topic: http://forum.malazan...showtopic=14352

I have always enjoyed listening to people's dreams and nightmares, even considered the merits of psychedelic drugs (though, not tried any yet; I'm scared of flashbacks). I wish to provide two of my dreams for your reading pleasure, and if that is where it ends, well, I won't loose any sleep over that...

Around age 7, I had a dream that I was waiting for my mom to finish putting my sister to bed so I could ask a question. In the meantime, I wandered to the den, which strangely enough was covered in water like a lake with the furniture (couches, speakers, chairs, tv) lining the walls as usual. Hopping from piece to piece of furniture were three copies of my striped gray and white tabby Sylvester. Distressed, I keep vacillating between waiting for my mom and watching the evil cats.

I did say evil. The cats hopped into the hallway and began chasing me toward my sister's room. I tried pounding on her door to get my mom's attention, but I turned into a brown, stereotypical teddybear whereupon I was torn to shreds by my cat's copies.

The other childhood dream that clings to memory was a short dream of playing chess with an unseen person across the board. I somehow won, and furious, the unseen person began yelling at me. Not that interesting until I woke up and could still hear him shouting for the next few minutes as I cried in my mom's arms.

So yeah, dark start to this thread I know but any dream will do, whether it be buffalos charging out of the walls during a fever dream or the results of falling asleep in class as your waking dream merges with the lecture on cell biology.

I look forward to all participants!!! BEGIN!!! Posted Image
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#2 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:13 AM

My subconscious is ridiculous. Caffeine + Nyquil doesn't help.

I should have get some kind of rant composed of all the ridiculous dreams I've had.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#3 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:44 AM

I had a lot of nightmares as a child. One involved Megatron. This isn't it:

I'm 5 years old. I'm in a local supermarket with my grandfather and brother. We're chatting as we shop. I'm happy, secure. People in surgical scrubs begin to pass by, in increasingly greater numbers. It makes no sense. Is something wrong? I start to worry, but my grandfather is unperturbed. Does he notice? Shelves are taken away and beds wheeled in. Withered, sickly looking people are brought in to fill them. I stop a nurse, ask her what's going on. A plague has broken out. Those infected rapidly deteriorate and die within hours. There is no cure. The first symptom is a dark, spidery, angry red mark on the back of the hand. I look at my brother. I look at his hand. He has the mark. A nurse notices, and takes him away. I'm told I can't follow. I know I'll never see him again. I tell my grandfather we have to go, it's not safe. He has no awareness of the emergency, wants to continue shopping. I glimpse his hand, the mark is visible. I wake up screaming.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:11 AM

I had suppressed that "Anomander Rake" dream until now.

#5 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:46 AM

I remember a dream I had once of going to my home village to visit my grandmothers grave.
haven't visited and its 10 years now since she died. The thing is I was there when she
died, that completely creeped me out so anyway back to the dream.

I go to the village, ask after her grave only to hear they never buried her. I search franticly
for her and walk into a house, dark and shadowy with my grandmothers chair in the middle of the room.
Theres absolutely nothing else in the room but I get a strong impression of a person in the chair
with a look, the exact same look she gave me when she passed, a mixture of pain and anger well
up inside me and I wake up with my fists clenched over my chest. hate that dream -_- .
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#6 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

When I was 7 I had a horrible nightmare about our planet being taken over by these weird-ass humanoids with two sets of teeth. Their leader took the form of my Grade Three teacher and delighted in ripping out throats. For some reason, I screamed at them that they weren't happy and they needed to stop killing people. Then it kind of faded, and all of a sudden I was hiding on a hill, and it was snowing. Some Hagrid look-a-like with a gun was forcing lots of little kids to chop firewood for the big castle down in a valley, and he killed a fair few that wouldn't obey. For a little kid, it was terrifying.

Another one would be of me entering a park, completely empty on a beautiful summers day. There was a small oval, a park with play equipment, and so on. I just walked in through the gate, which abruptly closed behind me. Then it all disappeared, except for an object which grew closer and closer, though I wasn't moving. It was a bloodstained wooden sign, and it said quite clearly, "DIE." Then it transformed into a gallows with a rotting corpse hanging from it.

An awesome dream of mine....well, considering my age, anything to do with teh sexytimez. And there have been PLENTY of those -_-
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#7 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

View PostDolmen, on 13 June 2011 - 09:46 AM, said:

I remember a dream I had once of going to my home village to visit my grandmothers grave.
haven't visited and its 10 years now since she died. The thing is I was there when she
died, that completely creeped me out so anyway back to the dream.

I go to the village, ask after her grave only to hear they never buried her. I search franticly
for her and walk into a house, dark and shadowy with my grandmothers chair in the middle of the room.
Theres absolutely nothing else in the room but I get a strong impression of a person in the chair
with a look, the exact same look she gave me when she passed, a mixture of pain and anger well
up inside me and I wake up with my fists clenched over my chest. hate that dream -_- .

My sympathies Dolmen. My mother passed away, oh what was it, 4 years ago. Every so often I have a dream with her in it and all the while I am thinking in the dream "wait, she's alive." Then I wake up.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#8 User is offline   Mott 

• High Marshall, Dinosaur Hunter, Lunapict
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 13 June 2011 - 02:56 AM, said:

So yeah, dark start to this thread I know but any dream will do, whether it be buffalos charging out of the walls during a fever dream or the results of falling asleep in class as your waking dream merges with the lecture on cell biology.

This exact thing happened to me multiple times in my first year of uni. I once fell asleep in the library on top of a book from the reserved section which I was allowed out for three hours, I had an awesome dream about being an enzyme and then I woke up, took the book back and ended up getting fined for bringing it back late because I managed to sleep for over three hours.

I remember having a dream when I was a kid and in it I was a toddler and in a buggy. My mum was beside me and we were greeting people at the door because it was my birthday. When all the guest arrive mum out the hall light off and they left me in the dark in the hallway. One of captain hooks pirates came in and was being nice but then set my hair on fire and I ran through to my mum hysterical and my uncle patted my hand and said, calm down you'll be fine while my hair was still on fire. My mum was washing it the next day and captain hook made his pirates come to my house to apologise for me and they gave me a sword as a birthday present. It was strange.

A few years back I has quite bad sleep paralysis, hands down the most terrifying experience i've ever had, it fel like there was someone beyond my sight in the room with me but I couldn't turn my head to see, it would last a few minutes and then kind of slip away. Ended up having bad insomnia for a while because of it but eventually I got used to it and then it went away when moved my bed.
Mottfather, who art in chat, hallowed be thy name, thy empire come, thy magic be done, on wu as it is in warren. give us this day our daily cahpters, and forgive us our timeline, as we forgive yours, lead us not into goodkind, but deliver us from ayn rand, for thine is the series, the epic, the glory, I<3WJ ~ Obdi and GH

#9 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:35 PM

Three night ago I had a dream in which I was engaged in a very heated debate with Carl Sagan.
I do not remember what we arguing about (though I suspect it may have something to do with Atomic Robo). I just felt bad waking up realizing I had just yelled at Carl Sagan and called him an idiot.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#10 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:27 AM

View PostMott, on 13 June 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

A few years back I has quite bad sleep paralysis, hands down the most terrifying experience i've ever had, it fel like there was someone beyond my sight in the room with me but I couldn't turn my head to see, it would last a few minutes and then kind of slip away. Ended up having bad insomnia for a while because of it but eventually I got used to it and then it went away when moved my bed.

Argh this! Except I could almost see a vague shadowy shape standing at the end of my bed just watching me.
I started sleeping with curtains open so the room would be too light for nonexistent shadow people to lurk at me.
*Men's Frights Activist*

#11 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:36 AM

View PostKing Lear, on 14 June 2011 - 02:27 AM, said:

View PostMott, on 13 June 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

Argh this! Except I could almost see a vague shadowy shape standing at the end of my bed just watching me.
I started sleeping with curtains open so the room would be too light for nonexistent shadow people to lurk at me.

Yeah, it caused me to keep the tv on with the volume all the way down so that I could at least see something other than sheer pitch black.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:44 AM

Alright, so here's three of my weirdest dreams in recent record.

The first, the oldest, and so the poorest recalled:

I remember being a vassal of some king, and swearing to bring the rampant brigand problem under control. Except everyone in the court, and apparently the whole dream, were named after and represented thermodynamic functions of various kinds. And the brigands were things like laplace's demon and brownian ratchets that were destroying thermodynamics as we know it. And there was a mastermind behind it all and juuust before I figured out who (what) it was, I woke up.

The second was a more mundane dream, but I was (for some fucking reason) attending a boarding school in jolly old England, and was studying in, imagine that, someone's study (a professor or something), when a few guys, and a pretty girl, insist that I go with them to raid the headmaster's cider stash, and get sloshed. We have a roaring good time, and I even get a kiss from the lass, and I realize with great horror THAT I'VE GOT A 50 PAGE PAPER ON 17th CENTURY BRITISH PARLIAMENTARY POLITICS TO WRITE, DUE TOMORROW. I don't know jack shit about british history. I wake up.

The LAST one is waay more weird. Zombie apocalypse. Except instead of my friends, I'm joined in the apocalypse by a smattering of anime characters. The cast of Cowboy Bebop, K-On, and some others. In the end, all of the actually capable people get killed off, and it leaves me and Mio from K-on to repopulate the world with bizarre half-white-half-anime progeny. About to get some, I wake up.

This post has been edited by adjutant stormy: 14 June 2011 - 03:45 AM

<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#13 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:03 AM

Attached File  49843.jpg (37.35K)
Number of downloads: 2

#14 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:14 AM

HELL YES.

bla bla bla

#15 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:46 AM

My one recurring nightmare (have had it since I was around seven or so) is me running over a rubix cube landscape being chased by a Roger Rabbit-like figure twenty times my size, while short round fat people elongate to tall skinny people and then pop back to their round fat shape all around me.
The dream ends when I fall of the side of the cube.

That, and vivid dreams where my teeth rot and fall out of my mouth (which is weird as I've never even had need for a single filling) - I wake up from those. Apparently, it is a fear of aging.

Other than that, I have this awesome dream of sitting on the deck of a boat, sun is shining, clear blue sky, drinks are within reach, I'm wearing something suitably hawaii and there are other people there, but they are a blur - it looks a lot like the boat scene at the end of Things to do in Denver when you're dead.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#16 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

Had a dream I was driving my truck drunk in the winter around a gravel quarry last night. There were all these sketchy ice bridges that I had to creep across super slow and then I'd plunge down the steep slopes or crawl slowly up others in 4 wheel drive.

Fucking awesome dream.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#17 User is offline   Ilona 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

That dream featuring Rake sounded awesome. Also, sounded like something my subconscious might put together. Apt... Are you sure we're not related?

Anyway, I used to have a recurring dream when I was a kid, can't remember how young but pretty young for sure, 7-9 years of age I think... I'm walking in a forest, sometimes alone, sometimes with my grandmother. It's a sunny autumn day, trees are all yellow-leaved and stuff. Then suddenly I see the moon in the sky... and it's coming closer. In fact it comes so close that I can see clouds surrounding it, and through those clouds I see small villages on the moon's surface. Tiny cartooney buildings and trees and stuff, all in bright cartooney colours. I'm fascinated and want to see it more clearly, but the moon keeps moving away and back again so that I have to keep following it around. Until at some point I notice a dark tower in the distance - on earth, that is, not in the moon. I instantly know that the tower is very evil, and that the moon is being controlled by the tower (or someone in the tower; no distinction in the dream). I'm super scared and usually, at this point, I woke up. Except the very last time I had that dream. That time, I walked right up to the tower and discovered that it was just a lego house build by my dad and covered with a black cloth.

Some of the more recent products of my sleeping brain involve signing up for Amazing Race teamed up with Phileas Fogg (the Around the World in 80 Days dude, in case someone didn't know). Oh, yeah, and witnessing the betrayal of Silchas Ruin... except that in the dream it was Tulas Shorn backstabbing him, not Scabandari, and Silchas seemed as confused by this turn of events as I was.
It was ever thus.

#18 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

I had a nightmare when I was seven about the world ending. Some sort of alien entity possessed the sun, turning it green and harmful to the Earth. The world slowly started to decay. Trees withered and died, animals and humans became sick and died, rivers turned grey and dried up, and buildings deteriorated and collapsed. I watched all this from a god's eye pov and a growing sense of horror, then abruptly the dream switched to 1st person. I was met by an alien who had come to Earth to thwart the alien infecting the sun. We traveled the world as it fell apart, looking for survivors and a way to halt armageddon. In New York we were attacked by an alien who served the green sun. The friendly alien fought it and won. As it was dying it told us we were too late, the end of the world had come at last. It hadn't, but the sun's green light intensified in the sky, signalling the end wasn't far off. I fell into despair, but the friendly alien told me he could still stop it and not to give up. I woke up just then though.

#19 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 15 June 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

Had a dream I was driving my truck drunk in the winter around a gravel quarry last night. There were all these sketchy ice bridges that I had to creep across super slow and then I'd plunge down the steep slopes or crawl slowly up others in 4 wheel drive.

Fucking awesome dream.

That northern climate really gets in your Canadien blood huh?
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#20 Guest_ImpiusMotus_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:47 PM

I suffer from parasomnia. So yeah, I have quite a lot of experiences, but I don't wish to relive them.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users