• You cannot reply to this topic

Stonewielder= Great Malazan Read Bravo (SW SPOILERS) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Binadas 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, GRRM, Bakker & Cook
    Psychology, NFL, Music, Wandering

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:13 AM

I just finished the Stonewielder and found it to be a top notch contribution to the Malazan body of work.

I stopped reading TCG about page 500 to read SW first.

I was amazed by how all but one of the storylines folded into relative pieces of the ending. I loved the look at Korel and the smaller Kingdoms we were given and found the writing to be of much higher quality than ROTCG.

ICE's work with Suth should silence the critics who claim he doesn't develop characters. Kyle became more interesting this volume and ICE also gave us Leoman and those flails back!

The assessor, Ghevan, Karien'el, Borun, Ivanr, Devaleth, Faro, Suth, Wes, Yana and Goss are all characters I like to see again.

We didn't get as much as I would've liked on Greymane but his story might not be as done as we think it is. It might be that legends like Nok and Greymane will never be fully explored.

My fingers are crossed that we will eventually find out a bit more about how Korel picks up the pieces, if any stormguard survived, what imperial designs were put in place and what the Lady is/is up to now.

I want to thank ICE for making me feel like the Malazan thing is far from over despite the Books of the Fallen ending.

Zeeeeeee
Beyond this place of Wrath & Tears looms but the menace of the shade

#2 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

I thought the book was great, It felt like the most compleete book of the entire Malazan series to me.

The Crimson Guards experience on the wall, The Sea battle, the rebels last battle against the Jourilan empire, and the battle in the caves were all extreemly memorable.

The Ladys/Crippled Gods continued presence throughout the novel gave it a pretty scary tone overall, anywhere there was a priest, he was there.

I was especially impressed with Rillish in this book, I wasnt a big fan of his in ROTCG, but after Stonewielder he has become one of my favourite characters.

#3 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

I did enjoy the book but for me it's definitely not one of the most complete, still lots of unanswered questions that I can't see being resolved in the next couple of ICE's novels. for Example..

Was the Lady using a piece of the CG for power or was the CG himself masquerading as the lady??

What's the deal with the stormriders???

I agree a lot better than NoK and RotCG but not amazing

#4 User is offline   Binadas 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Malazan, GRRM, Bakker & Cook
    Psychology, NFL, Music, Wandering

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

View PostAsharak, on 07 June 2011 - 09:57 AM, said:

I was especially impressed with Rillish in this book, I wasnt a big fan of his in ROTCG, but after Stonewielder he has become one of my favourite characters.

I completely agree. Rillish went from an ok guy to one I was always rooting for. Two swords flying and almost ego free, couple that with his selfless defense of the Wickans in ROTCG and the guy is Golden. I hope we see him take another command with many of the SW soldiers under him. I kind of think that since we know the next book is in Durjuristan that a Malazan force will be headed there. Also seems a likely stop for Kyle as he is heading East.

Zeeeeee
Beyond this place of Wrath & Tears looms but the menace of the shade

#5 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

"Was the Lady using a piece of the CG for power or was the CG himself masquerading as the lady??"

It was said in one of the last chapters(Crimson Guard pov) that it was in fact the Crippled God the whole time. "The Lady" was just a front.

#6 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:33 AM

It's my least favourite Malazan book, but still a good read and I'm glad it has fans. My issues with it are the usual ones. I thought the climax was rushed and a bit silly in places. It was shaping up as my favourite ICE book until that ending. I'd also have liked MUCH more information on the Lady and the Stormriders. As I said, still a good book though.

#7 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:16 AM

What was rushed, and what was silly about it? Most of them felt like they went where they were supposed to go IMHO.

I agree about the Stormriders though,we should have gotten a real explenation of them, though I feal the Lady/CG was described well enough.

#8 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

View PostAsharak, on 07 June 2011 - 06:21 PM, said:

It was said in one of the last chapters(Crimson Guard pov) that it was in fact the Crippled God the whole time. "The Lady" was just a front.

Have you got quotes because I don't remember it specifically being said, I remember Skinner coming in and taking the piece and the rest of the CriG thinking it could be the CG but it was never 100% sure.

#9 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

Here's a link to my thoughts on Stonewielder immediately after finishing. I think it was my first post.

http://forum.malazan...showtopic=20789

#10 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

"Have you got quotes because I don't remember it specifically being said, I remember Skinner coming in and taking the piece and the rest of the CriG thinking it could be the CG but it was never 100% sure."

The way Esslemont wrote it, at the last page of the last chapter of the book(before the prolouge) made it seam clear to me that the authour was finaly revealing the truth about the Lady. Feel free to disagree though.

Page 619 in the hardcover version of Stonewielder:

"Whats with the chest?" Lazar asked.
"A fragment of the entity charading as the Lady," said Shell.
"A fragment?" Blues repeated, alarmed. "As in the other name for
the Crippled God...the Shattered God?"
Fingers sat heavily on a boulder. "Shit"

There are more relevant sentences on that page, but thats the gist of it. I belive that if Esslemont wanted us to doubt the truth of it, then he would have written more doubt into those senteces, used words like "maybe", "possibly", "I think", "could it possibly be?" etc. There is no doubt on that last page.

#11 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

View PostAsharak, on 08 June 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

"Have you got quotes because I don't remember it specifically being said, I remember Skinner coming in and taking the piece and the rest of the CriG thinking it could be the CG but it was never 100% sure."

The way Esslemont wrote it, at the last page of the last chapter of the book(before the prolouge) made it seam clear to me that the authour was finaly revealing the truth about the Lady. Feel free to disagree though.

Page 619 in the hardcover version of Stonewielder:

"Whats with the chest?" Lazar asked.
"A fragment of the entity charading as the Lady," said Shell.
"A fragment?" Blues repeated, alarmed. "As in the other name for
the Crippled God...the Shattered God?"
Fingers sat heavily on a boulder. "Shit"

There are more relevant sentences on that page, but thats the gist of it. I belive that if Esslemont wanted us to doubt the truth of it, then he would have written more doubt into those senteces, used words like "maybe", "possibly", "I think", "could it possibly be?" etc. There is no doubt on that last page.

Good work, I must have not read that as thoroughly as I thought. I think you maybe right...that's been playing on my mind a bit since I read it.

Still would liked to have seen more info about the Stormriders!! Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Held 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Epic world building fantasy...SE the best.

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:58 AM

SPOILERS!!! I just finished Stonewielder and I loved it! I have so much missed the Malazan world since tCG and this book takes you there for more fascinating insights into the Malazan world. I loved the development of many characters to numerous to name but a few favorites were Suth, Bakune, Ipshank, Ivanr, Bars, Devaleth,Shell & Rillash. I wish there had been more for a couple of characters such as Greymayne and Kyle but even here there was enough to satisfy. Some really great characters in this book and the story is so relevant to tCG and the many references to Korel in prior Malazan books. I hope we do find out what happens to Korel after the Lady has been removed. My main complaint about the book is we still do not know who the stormriders are however there are a lot of inferences that they are tiste andii likely liosan tiste andii and I would really like to know more about their history. I also was unsatisfied with the Leoman and Kiska story...what was this all about? They went to find Tayschrenn and instead found Warren aka Shadowthrone and the Liosan and then end up on a deserted beach. I didn't get what this contributed to the main story. If someone has some insight please share it. Another mystery unresolved for me was who was Cherghem? Was he a powerful mage or even a god who had been kept in the sarcophagus for hundreds of years? He is only described in one scene in the book and I kept looking for more info on him throughout the book. Even though I have listed my complaints here, I still vastly enjoyed Stonewielder and there is a lot of clarification to old questions regarding the first Korel invasion and Greymayne's history in this book. After reading Stonewielder I picked up DoD and am rereading again and will read tCG too to see where all the connections with Stonewielder fit. Thank you ICE for Stonewilder...a fantastic story.

This post has been edited by Held: 11 June 2011 - 04:00 AM

“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” --Paul Sweeney

#13 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

"Another mystery unresolved for me was who was Cherghem? Was he a powerful mage or even a god who had been kept in the sarcophagus for hundreds of years?"

I assumed he was a Jaghut, though the book gave us no clues at all to his identity.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

View PostHocknose, on 08 June 2011 - 08:12 AM, said:

Have you got quotes because I don't remember it specifically being said, I remember Skinner coming in and taking the piece and the rest of the CriG thinking it could be the CG but it was never 100% sure.

Aside from the quotes upthread, the CG/Lady also tells the senior Stormguard the truth just before he dies as the wall falls.

View PostAsharak, on 11 June 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

"Another mystery unresolved for me was who was Cherghem? Was he a powerful mage or even a god who had been kept in the sarcophagus for hundreds of years?"

I assumed he was a Jaghut, though the book gave us no clues at all to his identity.

I file this under another classic SE/ICE move in showing a bit of world history that isn't critical to the story but interesting nontheless.
The Jaghut who escaped with the 40 Avowed at the beginning of RCG is another example of this.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

It had its moment for sure. But I thought it retarded the way ICE built up hype (or attempted) towards Assail through the entire book. I really thought he was trying too hard. Before this book I was pretty hyped, but the way he kept hyping it without giving any info at all just made me mad.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#16 User is offline   Held 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Epic world building fantasy...SE the best.

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

Assail has been a big question mark throughout SE's books and when mentioned it is always with hints of something dark going on there. I was encouraged that RotCG and Stonewielder gave us a few more hints. I just figure that by giving the readers next to nothing about Assail allows the authors to build a unique world there something unlike the Malazan world. After Stonewielder, I am even more interested in the future Assail story than I was when reading the Malazan series.I wish I did not have to wait so long to finally learn what the hell is going on in Assail but when we finally do, we can be pretty sure we will get to see Silverfox and Imass again as well as Kyle and the Lost brothers and with Draconius and Hood back in Wu well this bodes for some serious badass stuff. Hard to wait......

“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” --Paul Sweeney

#17 User is offline   Sheve 

• Fist

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 June 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

Aside from the quotes upthread, the CG/Lady also tells the senior Stormguard the truth just before he dies as the wall falls.

I file this under another classic SE/ICE move in showing a bit of world history that isn't critical to the story but interesting nontheless.
The Jaghut who escaped with the 40 Avowed at the beginning of RCG is another example of this.

What jaghut?
Didnt the CG veil(isha?) call the premontix(spelling) a Jaghut?
They may cut your dick in half
And serve it to a pig
And though it hurts, you'll laugh
And dance a dickless jig

#18 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:29 AM

View PostSheve, on 18 June 2011 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 15 June 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

What jaghut?
Didnt the CG veil(isha?) call the premontix(spelling) a Jaghut?

might have just been a mis-type, cuz yeah, that jaghut doesn't escape with the CG, she (and her sister) trapped them. pretty cool that there's some island kingdom ruled over by jaghut around somewhere, wonder where it is, or if we've heard of it before. maybe genostel?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#19 User is offline   busy monster 

• Sergeant
  • PipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:06 AM

View PostFuture Warrior, on 08 June 2011 - 05:33 AM, said:

It's my least favourite Malazan book, but still a good read and I'm glad it has fans. My issues with it are the usual ones. I thought the climax was rushed and a bit silly in places. It was shaping up as my favourite ICE book until that ending. I'd also have liked MUCH more information on the Lady and the Stormriders. As I said, still a good book though.

Oh my. No. Really. You're still reading the Malazan books when you want more and more and more information? Wait.

Uh

Wait some more

Okay

I THINK I'm done laughing

no

wait

I'm not.

NOW I'm done laughing. You expect explanations and explications in a book set in the world of Wu? No, really. I'm still chuckling. That's the beauty of it, and what keeps people talking and debating and arguing. I'm... pretty impressed that you've kept reading the books, when that's what you keep expecting. I guess hope DOES spring eternal.

For me-- I really enjoyed the look at the 'demons' that are summoned, and their society, which put alot of things together that had been hinted at and idly referenced before. I enjoyed the shit out of Suth and Greymane and Rillish and Bakune.

I especially like how he took the focus off of Greymane and Kyle-- no, really, they're legends, or just starting their legends. I don't WANT to be in their head. I want the questions and the queries and the confusion. I don't want their motivations and human foibles written out there for all to see- I want to wonder, and think, and debate.

In short, I really do think in this book ICE came into his own. I'd compare it to MoI and, yeah, it holds it's own.

My ONLY complaint: Stonewielder seems to be a Big Thing. We only heard about it first in TCG*, and it was as a counterpart to Caladan fucking Brood. In the past, Erikson has hinted at other things that'll come later, even if it takes a couple books to make sense. It took the final book of the Book of the Fallen to drop Stonewielder. And it ain't like Greymane is a schlub.

*-at least, what I remember. If someone can point me to a citation of the Stonewielder much earlier, I'll love you and do dirty things to both ICE and SE. Uh... yeah. Forget I said those last few words. Please?

This post has been edited by busy monster: 30 June 2011 - 05:11 AM

#20 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:43 AM

I have enjoyed all 3 of ICE's books although always had a few distresses along the way.

I agree with busy monster too - so many people's complaints are the books don't tell them what they want. Guess what. That's your fault as a reader. This isn't an almanac. It's not a book of baseball facts. It's a story. The Stormriders are part of the story. And yes, when you heard Stonewielder was set at the Wall you assumed we would learn a ton about them. That this does not happen is not evidence against ICE's writing, it is how the story occured coupled with your own hyperbole. Sure, knowing their motives would help someone make sense of their point of view, but we're given the other side's point of view and, frankly, one side NEVER fully understands the others' pint of view.

I enjoyed all the elements with the Crimson Guard particularly, although felt Corlo sorely underused. I felt the invasion fleet was handled with ease and the units were interesting and well felt out from their first enlist to the final battles in the broken down tunnels. Suth kinda sucks sometimes and is tough other times, but I like this. He's not an epic hero, he's a learning soldier. Borun and the Black Moranth I thought particularly cool. Bakune's story did not impress me much, however. The culmination was just to enforce that a good guy was taking over. The murder mystery wasn't much of one. Ipshank was damned cool, though. Ivanr's plotline down south did not interest me much, except Martel's character was very solid.

My two cents.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users