Malazan Empire: Title - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Title

#1 Guest_Mariusz_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 24 June 2003 - 05:12 AM

Could someone explain what does the title "Gardens of the Moon" mean? I don't recall any gardens in the book.

#2 User is offline   kokosdera 

• Seguleh 10000th
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:SF stories, wuxia stories, and recently Malazan stories.
  • Don't like chilli.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostMariusz, on 24 June 2003 - 05:12 AM, said:

Could someone explain what does the title "Gardens of the Moon" mean? I don't recall any gardens in the book.

I have the same question. ;)
"It's that hurt we feel that makes us keep going, Sergeant. And maybe we're not going anywhere, but at least we're not running away from anything."
- Fiddler in GotM

#3 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I think the gardens of the moon are the home of the Queen of Dreams.... but still i don't see how this relates to the book so if anyone has a better explanation it'll be much appreciated ;)
We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

You...you resurrected an abandoned thread from 2003 but somehow missed the discussion from 2010?

In short, Sorry/Apsalar tells Crokus the myth of Grallin, who lives in the gardens under the sea on the moon, where everyone is happy and at peace in paradise. It's about yearning for a place free from trouble and war (pretty much impossible for our characters) but--and Erikson said this in an interview somewhere that I can't find at the moment--it also had to do with his dreams of getting the book published. Heck, here's the relevant passage from GotM:

"Do you see its oceans?" Apsalar asked.

"What?" He turned.

"Its oceans. Grallin's Sea. That's the big one. The Lord of the Deep Waters living there is named Grallin. He tends vast, beautiful underwater gardens. Grallin will come down to us, one day, to our world. And he'll gather his chosen and take them to his world. And we'll live in those gardens, warmed by the deep fires, and our children will swim like dolphins, and we'll be happy since there won't be anymore wars, and no empires, and no swords and shields. Oh, Crokus, it'll be wonderful, won't it?"

Her profile was in silhouette. He stared at her. "Of course," he said quietly. "Why not?" And then that question repeated itself in his head for an entirely different reason. Why not?

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 06 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Posted Image Didn't notice the datestamp of the OP Posted Image kokosdera must have scrolled back a couple dozens of pages to find that.... anyway thanks for the answer Posted Image
We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#6 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Yeah, I scrolled back probably 3 or 4 pages to find my link, and when I was initially writing up my response (before you replied, Tehol) I typed something along the lines of "I wouldn't expect newbies to dig back that far to find the previous discussion" and then as I was about to hit Submit, I noticed the original timestamp. ;) Then I was all "WTF?"
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#7 User is offline   kokosdera 

• Seguleh 10000th
  • Interests:SF stories, wuxia stories, and recently Malazan stories.
  • Don't like chilli.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 06 April 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

You...you resurrected an abandoned thread from 2003 but somehow missed the discussion from 2010?

Sorry, I started from the last page then go through the newer posts. ;)
Thanks a lot for the answer.
"It's that hurt we feel that makes us keep going, Sergeant. And maybe we're not going anywhere, but at least we're not running away from anything."
- Fiddler in GotM

#8 User is offline   Fountain 

• Recruit

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 06 April 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

In short, Sorry/Apsalar tells Crokus the myth of Grallin, who lives in the gardens under the sea on the moon, where everyone is happy and at peace in paradise. It's about yearning for a place free from trouble and war (pretty much impossible for our characters) but--and Erikson said this in an interview somewhere that I can't find at the moment--it also had to do with his dreams of getting the book published. Heck, here's the relevant passage from GotM:

"Do you see its oceans?" Apsalar asked.

"What?" He turned.

"Its oceans. Grallin's Sea. That's the big one. The Lord of the Deep Waters living there is named Grallin. He tends vast, beautiful underwater gardens. Grallin will come down to us, one day, to our world. And he'll gather his chosen and take them to his world. And we'll live in those gardens, warmed by the deep fires, and our children will swim like dolphins, and we'll be happy since there won't be anymore wars, and no empires, and no swords and shields. Oh, Crokus, it'll be wonderful, won't it?"

Her profile was in silhouette. He stared at her. "Of course," he said quietly. "Why not?" And then that question repeated itself in his head for an entirely different reason. Why not?

AH, thanks for the answer. I enjoyed that innocent passage but didn't link it to the title Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users