Malazan Empire: HBO GoT compared to Book - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +

HBO GoT compared to Book No Spoilers please Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   lumo 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

With the HBO GoT coming to an end, I was just curious how close it is to the book? The show is incredible, I have never read the series, but I want to start with the 2nd book depending if the show is really faithful to the first book. I know that I should read the series from the beginning and I will come back and read the first one at a later time, I was just wondering if I could do that without missing out too much.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

It's fairly faithful so far, and only a few things (mostly added scenes for character development between people who don't have POV chapters in the first book) have been added. You could certainly jump right into book 2 with no real issues to speak of and continue the story. You would not be missing much from the first book as they have stayed very true. I would recommend coming back and reading the first book down the road, but reading book 2 after only having watched the first book on TV, you ought to do just fine.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   lumo 

• Recruit

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 May 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

It's fairly faithful so far, and only a few things (mostly added scenes for character development between people who don't have POV chapters in the first book) have been added. You could certainly jump right into book 2 with no real issues to speak of and continue the story. You would not be missing much from the first book as they have stayed very true. I would recommend coming back and reading the first book down the road, but reading book 2 after only having watched the first book on TV, you ought to do just fine.

That's good to hear. I don't think I'd be able to wait a whole year to find out what happens. I will go back and read the first book later on. I just have a big to-read pile and I don't want to keep adding to it. Thanks.

#4 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

There's some foreshadowing about a character in the book that the show doesn't get into (so far), but I think you could jump right into the Clash of Kings and have a really good idea on what's going on.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Personally I recommend reading the first book first, even if you saw the show. It has a lot of backstory that isn't in the show, and the show is also missing a flashback scene that is probably the key to solving the most important mystery in the series.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 31 May 2011 - 01:37 PM, said:

Personally I recommend reading the first book first, even if you saw the show. ...

Agreed.
Jumping straight to the second book after the tv series will be fine, but you'll be missing quite a few details and some things may even be outright different.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

Personally I recommend reading the first book first, even if you saw the show. It has a lot of backstory that isn't in the show, and the show is also missing a flashback scene that is probably the key to solving the most important mystery in the series.

Isn't that when Ned is in the cell? In that case it might be in the next episode.

#8 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

View PostCobbles, on 31 May 2011 - 07:27 PM, said:

Isn't that when Ned is in the cell? In that case it might be in the next episode.

It was while he was out from his leg injury. They could always move it to the cell though.

#9 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 31 May 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

It was while he was out from his leg injury. They could always move it to the cell though.

That's what I think is going to happen also. The viewers get it once, while the readers get it a couple of times.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#10 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

Will that leave time for the dream sequence about Neddard's happy place? I don't want to miss Cat serving beer in lingerie and Tyrion dressed as a cowboy and riding a tricycle.

This post has been edited by Quick Ben's Magic Pants: 01 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

#11 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

Never got HBO so haven't watched the series, but you need to read the first book. No way they got everything from AGOT into the show. There is zero filler in these books. That's what makes them so extraordinary.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#12 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

There's a fair few details from the first book which are not in the TV series which are referred to a lot in Book 2, so I'd definitely read the first book first.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#13 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:36 AM

I'm sure there are a lot of little details omitted or different in the TV series that make the book worthwhile. We see Ned's sword Ice in the series, but has it ever been named? Has Valyrian steel been discussed? And Tyrion definitely isn't a magical elf in the TV show. He had Bronn fight as his champion instead of wiggling his ears and using pixie dust to teleport to Casterly Rock, ffs.

#14 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

View PostQuick Ben, on 01 June 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

Will that leave time for the dream sequence about Neddard's happy place? I don't want to miss Cat serving beer in lingerie and Tyrion dressed as a cowboy and riding a tricycle.

Whatever Neds needs to do to sink that final putt.

#15 User is offline   lumo 

• Recruit

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

Ned is put into a cell? Cool. Can't wait to see how that plays out. :)

I'll take everyone's advice, I'll start the series from the first book but it'll all have to wait, I just started rereading GotM.

#16 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

View Postlumo, on 02 June 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

I'll take everyone's advice, I'll start the series from the first book but it'll all have to wait, I just started rereading GotM.

End of episode 7 leads to that.

#17 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 02 June 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

Yes, sorry, it wasn't meant as a spoiler. But really it's the next logical step from the end of ep. 7.

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

This series holds the record for most characters put in cells. It's real exciting!

This post has been edited by worrywort: 02 June 2011 - 08:10 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#19 User is offline   lumo 

• Recruit

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:27 PM

View PostCobbles, on 02 June 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 02 June 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

Yes, sorry, it wasn't meant as a spoiler. But really it's the next logical step from the end of ep. 7.

I know I know :) I was just joking. You are correct, it's the next logical step. I was just thinking he might get 'died' seeing how crazy this show is.

This post has been edited by lumo: 02 June 2011 - 08:28 PM

#20 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:36 AM

Been a while since i read the book. Which flashback is this?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users