• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#321 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:48 AM

I can strongly recommend FMA Brotherhood. As far as Last Exile goes I suggest that if you do intend to watch it that you marathon it straight through. Everytime I've tried to watch it I've liked it up to the point where I take a break from it and then I lose all interest...I just have NO interest in returning to it. It seriously fails to draw you back in.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#322 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

^Haven't watched Last Exile (yet, hehe) but as per previous comments, thoroughly second the FMA: Brotherhood opinion.

Kell, have you watched the non-Brotherhood FMA?

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#323 User is offline   Loki 

• WWQBDFTW?

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:54 AM

View PostSilencer, on 05 February 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

^Haven't watched Last Exile (yet, hehe) but as per previous comments, thoroughly second the FMA: Brotherhood opinion.

Yep :Oops: Shiara and I saw the sub version years ago, before it was released here in Oz. We used to go to the anime society of brisbane's anime viewings......probably didn't need to share that piece of geekdom...:Oops:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#324 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

View PostLoki, on 05 February 2012 - 05:54 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 05 February 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

Yep :D Shiara and I saw the sub version years ago, before it was released here in Oz. We used to go to the anime society of brisbane's anime viewings......probably didn't need to share that piece of geekdom...:Oops:

:Oops: Nah, I respect that. Personally I don't think I'd ever have the confidence to show up myself...though I could probably con a friend into going, and then that would be aaallll good. XD Still, respect. :Oops: I totally want my local (or rather, the city) cinema to use some of their damn empty theater's to screen anime. They don't have all their cinema's in use, EVER, so why not, right? XD

...I'm such a geek.

What'd you think? Compared to Brotherhood? Moreover, worth watching if you've seen and loved Brotherhood? >.<

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#325 User is offline   Loki 

• WWQBDFTW?

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostSilencer, on 05 February 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

:Oops: Nah, I respect that. Personally I don't think I'd ever have the confidence to show up myself...though I could probably con a friend into going, and then that would be aaallll good. XD Still, respect. :Oops: I totally want my local (or rather, the city) cinema to use some of their damn empty theater's to screen anime. They don't have all their cinema's in use, EVER, so why not, right? XD

...I'm such a geek.

What'd you think? Compared to Brotherhood? Moreover, worth watching if you've seen and loved Brotherhood? >.<

Hey, we had breasts and we were GIRLS - they loved us! :Oops:

My personal feelings is that if you have seen Brotherhood then you won't enjoy and appreciate the original as much as someone who saw it first and then saw Brotherhood. The original is great but it is slower and has less plot - Brotherhood is pretty much the original series with an extended plot (that mirrors the manga much more closely). Having said that, I think you personally could appreciate it on its own merit and not keep comparing it to Brotherhood. So, I would recommend you giving it a shot. I think the best description I've heard for the original compared to Brotherhood is that it is a slower paced telling of the first half of Brotherhood. So, if you didn't particularly like the first half of Brotherhood, then don't bother with the original.

~TQB~

#326 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostJLV, on 05 February 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

:Oops: One Piece is not on streaming.

Any suggestions for someone who doesn't like the girls-with-guns stuff? My main limiter other than that is Netflix streaming.

Huh, I watch it streamed off the Funimation site directly...for free subbed or dubbed.

oh and in answer to that question I'm watching it dubbed. Colleen Clinkenbeard's Luffy voice just rocks.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#327 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

Damn the further I get into ONE PIECE the more I find it's brilliant and endlessly watchable.

Thanks for the heavy recco Amph....there are so many episodes to watch!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#328 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for noticing me Quicktidal!

You do realize that by having read the actual manga instead of watching the anime, I possess knowledge of current events? :Oops:

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#329 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostSindriss, on 05 February 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

You do realize that by having read the actual manga instead of watching the anime, I possess knowledge of current events? :Oops:

sorry, you mean for recco kudos? Ah, my bad. Thanks to you as well then. :Oops:

Rounding episode 16...still loving this...and now the theme song gets randomly stuck in my head.

#330 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostSindriss, on 05 February 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

You just got Boa Hancock'ed.

NOSE IN THE AIRRR!
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#331 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

lol, Boa hancocks air nose just barely keeps that title.

Odas humour translates better than any other anime i've watched save gintama. He has a knack for the hilarious and the absurd.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#332 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

To whoever can answer this:

Okay, so there appear to be a few "films" as well for OP. Are they just episodes rammed together? Are they their own entities? Are they part of continuity and if so at what point should they be watched or not watched?

#333 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 February 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Okay, so there appear to be a few "films" as well for OP. Are they just episodes rammed together? Are they their own entities? Are they part of continuity and if so at what point should they be watched or not watched?

Only two of the eleven movies are rehashes of episodes (the Alabasta and second Chopper ones). The rest feature the Straw Hat crew (with varying members depending on when the movies were made) in original stories.

I don't think they're non-canon, but they're not necessary either. They sorta take place in the gaps between islands and can be viewed as further adventures. Oda didn't write 10 of the 11, but they are generally faithful. I skipped almost all of them, but I saw the Strong World one because it was written by Oda personally and that was decent. Watch it after Thriller Bark as a change of pace.

#334 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Postamphibian, on 06 February 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 February 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Only two of the eleven movies are rehashes of episodes (the Alabasta and second Chopper ones). The rest feature the Straw Hat crew (with varying members depending on when the movies were made) in original stories.

I don't think they're non-canon, but they're not necessary either. They sorta take place in the gaps between islands and can be viewed as further adventures. Oda didn't write 10 of the 11, but they are generally faithful. I skipped almost all of them, but I saw the Strong World one because it was written by Oda personally and that was decent. Watch it after Thriller Bark as a change of pace.

Noted. Thank you kindly.

#335 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

Oh gods...

OP - Ep 17:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 07 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

#336 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

oh, if you want sad, you haven't seen nothing yet. There are some very tragic stories in the fictional world of Oda. However, having read Malazan, you should be somewhat prepared :unsure:

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#337 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

This thread has inspired me to go back to watching some of the newer one piece (start of the new world arc), after stopping and continuing with the manga. Going back to the anime has reminded me just how good this show is, thanks guys.

#338 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostSindriss, on 08 February 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

oh, if you want sad, you haven't seen nothing yet. There are some very tragic stories in the fictional world of Oda. However, having read Malazan, you should be somewhat prepared :unsure:

I look forward to it Sindriss!

My tentative plan, is to attempt to catch ALL the way up to ep 500-whatever by the late spring, early summer. It's daunting, but I love having goals. Plus I usually have 4 or 5 hours every weekend to plow through like 8-10 eps in bursts.

#339 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Just stop working, sleeping and eating. If you watch it 24 hours a day you can be caught up in 8 days.

#340 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

I have no idea how long it took me to catch up to present day from discovering the show. It was definitely several months. I recall waiting for each week's episodes since before the Impel Down arc.

That weekly schedule is a much saner pace to keep than cramming in 24 minutes here and there just to feed the obsession.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

33 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users