• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#301 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

I like shows that do that.

I had that reaction to the end of both seasons of Ghost in the Shell, oddly enough. They're not even human..

#302 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:45 AM

Okay, all credit to Amph on this one.

I started watching ONE PIECE tonight, and 4 episodes in and I'm hooked.

This.
Show.
Is.
AWESOME.

I can't believe I hadn't watched this till now, the writing is excellent!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#303 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:05 AM

This is why threads like this are good. The good stuff gets recco'd, the bad stuff gets ignored or publicly called out. :)

Still can't justify the bandwidth, tho. :)

(I should point out, this isn't just me being obstinate. I'd watch it piecemeal, except I'm not that kind of watcher. If I like something, I will watch ALL OF IT and no exceptions shall be had. See my Haruhi fest. Three days? Pah, two seasons, and one feature-length movie, done and dusted! If I got into One Piece, my computer would probably choke itself to death :p )

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#304 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:58 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 January 2012 - 03:45 AM, said:

Okay, all credit to Amph on this one.

I started watching ONE PIECE tonight, and 4 episodes in and I'm hooked.

This.
Show.
Is.
AWESOME.

I can't believe I hadn't watched this till now, the writing is excellent!

By no means am I intending to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but you are in the shitty phase of the show. The show is still good, but certainly has not realized any of its potential. I'm really glad you like it already (as I did). It gets dramatically better at the 19th episode and then just climbs into the stratosphere thereafter. I seriously have no idea how the creator, Eichiro Oda, can churn this stuff out. It's like he's the Erikson of the anime world.

The convergences are there and because Oda and his people are super-detail oriented, there are no timeline issues.

In return for you watching One Piece, I will watch the Evangelion reboots. I couldn't get through it the first time, but perhaps the reboots will do the trick.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 29 January 2012 - 04:58 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#305 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

If you are thinking: "Damn, this OP is quite funny and the characters are awesome" then you haven't seen nothing yet. Oda has some insane talent for creating hilarious characters. And the convergences, damn!!! I think the show really gets awesome once you enter the next arch

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#306 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

Yeah, I already heartily chuckled at a bunch of stuff in OP, (gf is not home from her weekend trip so I'm watching more today), but what really caught me initially was when Coby is telling Luffy about how he ended up on Avida's crew and Luffy flat out laughs at him and says "I hate people like you!" But he laughed it off and helped the guy find some courage. I immediately identified with that thinking, here is a guy that pulls no punches, and might even come across as dickish, but in the end he actually is heroic and if you can step up and do the right thing he can admire that after the fact.

Anyways, yeah, enjoying it. I'm in for a penny in for a pound now anyways.

Oh and also, finished NATSUME YUJIN-CHO. Very good, whimsical and heartfelt anime, but it really doesn't fire on all pistons on every episode, and Natsume himself does less (relationship) socializing than a kid his age should do. I mean especially because there is only one girl in his class he talks to and he ignores her, plus there is the actor (fellow Youkai-seer) Natua who is male and seems to make blatant passes at Natsume who seems oblivious. His guardian's the Fujiwara's are really kind and whatnot, but they rarely wonder where he goes all the time which seems a bit out of character.

The Youkai (demon/ghost) and book of friends bits of the show are excellent (and provide much of what there is to love about this show), but the Natsume's social life/home life bits are a tad muddled.

Madara/Nyanko-sensei is THE reason to watch the show. His lines are pure hilarity. Every last one of them.

I'm caught up but the show isn't done yet (it's now int eh 4th or 5th season methinks; airing now) and it HAS done a few interesting overall plot arc things, but it's still a LITTLE stuck in the monster-of-the-week phase from time to time. It's a good show, just difficult to stick with as I feel sometimes like my mind drifts off as I watch it since it puts you at a disarming ease.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#307 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Okay, up to about episode 6 of OP now, and still enjoying. Really dug the episode explaining Captain Shank (?) and the straw hat for back story. It's hard not to like this show, it's just so fun.

#308 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Ah man, I am actually really jelous. The joy of discovering OP for the first time is just immense. Would wish I could experience that again.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#309 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 January 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

Okay, up to about episode 6 of OP now, and still enjoying. Really dug the episode explaining Captain Shank (?) and the straw hat for back story. It's hard not to like this show, it's just so fun.

Shanks :(

Are you watching the dubs or subs? I have always found the voice actors in the dubbed versions to be annoying and try to watch only the subbed versions. Haven't watched the anime for a while though cause I keep spoiling it by reading the manga.

#310 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

View Postrhulad, on 03 February 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 January 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

Shanks :(

Are you watching the dubs or subs? I have always found the voice actors in the dubbed versions to be annoying and try to watch only the subbed versions. Haven't watched the anime for a while though cause I keep spoiling it by reading the manga.

Ditto this. Its hard to resist.

Guilty crown is looking interesting. Basic story revolves around a boy that pulls weapons out of people. The presentation is great but its hard to tell if the story will hold water. Its half way between resident evil and full metal panic.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#311 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hmm I hadn't heard of Guilty crown. Must check out.

#312 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Watched the Evangelion rebuild movies. The second is better than the first, but there is some strange story stuff going on. How does the American get past base security and into Unit 02?

The difference between these movies and the TV show is that the movies have a much lower obstacle-to-me of inaction and self-doubt in Shinji. I've never understood the mindset he espouses several times of doing things because everyone wants him to and not having anything he does of his own volition show effectiveness.

The battle scenes are terrific. The jargon is idiotic, but ignorable. The story fails to stand up to anything more than casual examination and somehow that's okay because this is more of an exploration of Shinji, Rei, Asuka and the various parental figures through giant mecha-robot battles than it is an actual story.

One Piece beats the pants off this as a story, but perhaps the emotional themes that I don't connect to so well really resonate with other people.

I'll watch the third and fourth movies when they hit - especially if they improve as much as the second did from the first.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#313 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

:Oops: One Piece is not on streaming.

Any suggestions for someone who doesn't like the girls-with-guns stuff? My main limiter other than that is Netflix streaming.

#314 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

Well, I guess best place to start with is: what *have* you watched (and enjoyed/not enjoyed) in list form. :Oops:

Then I will peruse Tropes. XD

I love the fact that whenever I start feeling like I've seen "all the good anime", I find something new just by aimlessly browsing TV Tropes. :Oops:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#315 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:50 AM

Watched with my dad:

Ghost in the Shell - Pure Amazing
Samurai Champloo - I liked it a lot, my dad not so much.
FMA (Not Brotherhood) - Pure Amazing
Eden of the East - loved the series, watched the first movie and was slightly dissapointed.
Darker than Black - Pure amazing

Watched alone:
FLCL - Loved it
Ergo Proxy - Loved it
Bleach - stopped after a while. Meh.
Witchhunter Robin - Watched the first few, never got around to finishing them. Not on streaming, unfortunately.
Death Note - I liked it a lot. Not obsessed with it being intellectual like a fanboy, but it was extremely tense and entertaining. Unfortunately only on netflix in sub, which neither I nor my dad feels like dealing with.
EDIT: Code Geass - Absolutely loved it. A mech show that I could enjoy. Not on netflix, unfortunately.

I'm sure there are more but my brain is drawing a blank. If you just leave suggestions I can check if they're on netflix.

Oh, and if they're girl's with guns they have to be something MORE, ya know? (GitS)

This post has been edited by JLV: 05 February 2012 - 03:54 AM

#316 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:06 AM

Baccano/Durraraarararararararr-asdflkjasdlfkjsdalkfj aren't on Netflix, are they? Though they're free on Funimation's YouTube channel in dub...or at least Baccano is.

Noein is an interesting one...also known as 'Quantum Phsyics: the Anime', though said quantum physics is very...erm...interesting. XD But the dub is terrible.

While we're on the subject, your distaste for GWG is just depressing...I completely understand, but even so. You should really try Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom if you can, though, because not only is it NOT GWG, it's FREAKING AWESOME and the dub is great.

Anywhey, I'll have a browse around and try and suggest some other stuff too. XD

Shinrei said:

#317 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:15 AM

MAYBE I'll try Phantom blah blah blah. It is on netflix.

No, Durarara and Baccano are not on netflix. I wonder why, if they're free on youtube..

Edit: I'm watching the first Karas movie right now. Interesting. But confusing.

This post has been edited by JLV: 05 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

#318 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:24 AM

Try it. It can't hurt. :Oops:

Shinrei said:

#319 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:45 AM

I take that back, Baccano! IS on netflix.

I'm gonna make a list of a few we have in instaqueue just because they sounded somewhat interesting. Let me know how they are if you've seen them:

Xenosaga: The Animation
FMA Brotherhood
Chrome Shelled Regios
Blood+
Basilisk
Mushi-Shi
Phantom Requiem for a Phantom
Jyu-Oh-Sei: Planet of the Beast King
Black Blood Brothers
Gun X Sword
Noir
Night Raid 1931
Ghost Hound
Noein
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Baccano!
Last Exile

This post has been edited by JLV: 05 February 2012 - 04:46 AM

#320 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

*I thought Blood+ was mediocre. Interesting enough, but lots of episodes and not the best plot or characterization to back it up, even by the halfway point. :Oops: Pretty sure I gave up on it around then.

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

19 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users