• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#261 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostKanese S, on 13 January 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

More dated than Ninja Scroll?

Yep.

Check it out.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#262 User is offline   blanketman2.0 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

Bakemonogatari watch it its cool (mostly dialogue) but full of awesome and the animation is weird but it just fits, lots of sharp contrasts or sayonara zetsubou sensei (goodbye, Mr. Despair) for mostly dark humour made in the same style as bakemonogatari
blankets are always in style

#263 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

Appleseed looks cool.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#264 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

Have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying Baccano! - it's hilarious for starters, the plot is fairly engaging, and the characters are all interesting, even if some are (at least at first) very one-dimensional. Episode 13 just watched (of which the description starts: the story ends, but it doesn't. That actually kinda sums up the kind of story Baccano! is XD), now I'm really keen to find out what happens next. XD

And just so D'rek can lay credit safely, here's going back to page one where Baccano! was first recommended. >.<

View PostD, on 28 May 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

[snip] this could be a thread for anime that's "not standard anime", in which case I'd recommend BACCANO! - set in 1930s New York, it is like the Malazan series in that every character seems utterly insane in their own way. A very high quality and non-traditional show, I only wish they'd split up the first season into more than one.Need more convincing? Listen to the music in the opening sequence. Oh and the english dub is among the best in anime, ever.

And I second everything therein. The dub is REALLY good, as far as they go. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#265 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

Just watched this anime called Demon King Daimao, where they packed just about every anime cliche into one series. Sort of a "so bad it's good," for me.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#266 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

Waiting for Funimation to release it's dub of STEINS;GATE is driving me mental (AKA, I missed the whole thing on Crunchy roll prior to it's purchase, once they are licensed for North America they don't run free anymore) so I needed something new to watch.

Trawling popularity threads at Crunchy Roll I found NATSUME YUJIN-CHO and I immediately fell for this show! Seriously, two episodes was all it took. A drama with comedy elements, it's just a well written interesting show.

It's probably going to comprise the post for February's Anime Wednesday on the site, at which point I'll hopefully have watched all 4 seasons (about 13 eps each). Looking for something new that is whimsical? This is a good bet so far.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#267 User is offline   Mr.James 

• Architectalis

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

Just finished watching Detroit Metal City, a short anime (12 episodes, 10 mins each) which is a pretty funny parody of the whole underground death metal scene. No deep meaning or intricate plots here, just metal humor (granted it gets a bit crude at times) but it's still worth a go especially for metal fans.

This post has been edited by Mr.James: 23 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

When a man lies he murders
Some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which
Men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear
To witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation
Take me home
'James

#268 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

Caught up with Beelzebub (must say, it rocks!), started Kurozuna and watched all of Vampire Knight and the first season of Rosario + Vampire. Contd. with Blood+.
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#269 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

Here is where I admit to having never watched any FULL METAL ALCHEMIST. Anyone want to inform me as to why I should or shouldn't?

#270 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

New sci-fi series, just started to air on Crunchy Roll called (brace yourselves) BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATES... and it gives me nostalgia for stuff like MACROSS and STARBLAZERS that I watched as a kid when I first discovered anime (and when anime was basically being blended with North American animation). There are only 3 episodes up right now on Crunchy Roll so if you want to get in on the ground floor with a show that has some promise and watch AS it airs, give it a look.

I've only seen one ep so far, but I enjoyed it.

#271 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 January 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

New sci-fi series, just started to air on Crunchy Roll called (brace yourselves) BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATES... and it gives me nostalgia for stuff like MACROSS and STARBLAZERS that I watched as a kid when I first discovered anime (and when anime was basically being blended with North American animation). There are only 3 episodes up right now on Crunchy Roll so if you want to get in on the ground floor with a show that has some promise and watch AS it airs, give it a look.

On this crunchy roll site, the series is titled "Moretsu Pirates".
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#272 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

View Postamphibian, on 23 January 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 January 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

On this crunchy roll site, the series is titled "Moretsu Pirates".

Indeed, but when the logo comes up in the opening sequence, underneath the Kanji title is the direct translation in English as BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATES. LOL

#273 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 January 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

Here is where I admit to having never watched any FULL METAL ALCHEMIST. Anyone want to inform me as to why I should or shouldn't?

Hrm. Well, it's quite humorous for a start - and I, the one who ostensibly hates this very facet of anime, say that even WITH the random style breaks often associated with said humor.
The story is fairly well fleshed out and interesting, though the plot twists are probably not as subtle as they could be, heh. It's got some solid characters, too. And the basic concept is interesting. :p

*shrug* It currently ranks at #11 on my list, though it was a lot higher when I first watched it (due to lack of other items on the list, but still) and I don't rate it that far behind Baccano! or Rebuild.

One thing, though...watch it subbed. And watch Brotherhood (that's the newer one, which follows the manga's arc). The dub for Brotherhood is ATROCIOUS. Not in terms of quality, but in terms of characterization. Seriously, there are a couple of scenes which were AWESOME INCARNATE in the sub, which are totally ruined by the choice of dub actor. :p

But yeah, it's well worth a watch. Not the best anime out there, but pretty good, and fairly popular so therefore it's good to know what people are talking about. :p (Same reason I'm *eventually* going to watch Death Note, for example...)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#274 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:16 AM

would really like to watch something new. Have searched for something at the same wavelength as GitS and couldn't get anything decent. One thing i am surprised about is reports of the hunterxhunter 2011 release. Don't know how that snuck by me as i follow the manga closely and it is genuinely one of the greats. Its dark and vicious at times and i spent my first day out yesterday looking for a site that streams the latest episodes. The manga artwork alone convinced me to give this another try...
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#275 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

Full Metal Alchemist was okay.

This Bodacious Space Pirates thing has some potential, but I don't see it going anywhere spectacular unless the writing dramatically ramp up.

One Piece, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Witch Hunter Robin, Adventure Time! and the Beast Wars Transformers double shots remain my favorite animated shows.

#276 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

View Postamphibian, on 24 January 2012 - 05:23 AM, said:

Full Metal Alchemist was okay.

This Bodacious Space Pirates thing has some potential, but I don't see it going anywhere spectacular unless the writing dramatically ramp up.

Indeed. I was more attracted to the nostalgic Macross/Starblazers vibe than anything else. I'll keep watching for the time being based off that, it would be good to see the story develop into something decent.

One Piece, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Witch Hunter Robin, Adventure Time! and the Beast Wars Transformers double shots remain my favorite animated shows.

Of those I've not watched ONE PIECE (it's on my list).

Amph, if you've not watched it yet, watch STEINS;GATE. It's flat out amazing (storywise) and currently ranks near number one (if not number one) on Anime News Network. It's only 24 eps, but well worth your time.

#277 User is offline   Trickster 

• Recruit

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

@ QuickTidal

I really reccomend Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Becuase:

1. It has great plot and a lot of action, but not on the level of Dragon Ball / One Piece / Bleach.

2. Nearly all characters are badass, and a lot of them is evolving through the story. It's really hard to not like someone.

3. Soundtrack is just beatufiul, but not from the start.

4. Last 16 episodes are epicness incarnated.

This post has been edited by Trickster: 24 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

#278 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostTrickster, on 24 January 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

@ QuickTidal

I really reccomend Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Becuase:

1. It has great plot and a lot of action, but not on the level of Dragon Ball / One Piece / Bleach.

2. Nearly all characters are badass, and a lot of them is evolving through the story. It's really hard to not like someone.

3. Soundtrack is just beatufiul, but not from the start.

4. Last 16 episodes are epicness incarnated.

Great, thanks for the recco. Seems like it's worth giving it a shot. I'll add it to the schedule.

#279 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

Dragon Ball is the most useless anime possible. Gigantic amounts of filler, stretching battles to the point of two dudes standing around for entire episodes and yelling at each other and crappy writing.

Someone needs to remake it in its entirety and condense it enormously.

And Naruto and Bleach started out as reactions against it before sliding into becoming it.

#280 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

Quicktidal, disperse with these mad ravings regarding anime and read OP and FMA. They are both excellent. Like, extremely fantastic. OP is by far the best manga I've read. And the ending of FMA is nothing less than extraordinary.

Inb4 "this is anime thread" :D

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

21 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users