Anime

#161 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

View PostMentalist, on 18 September 2011 - 12:02 AM, said:

gonna watch Akira tonight.

I need recommendation: what is the order of watching Ghost in the Shell (series + movies)?

Ghost in the Shell Movie 1
GitS SAC Season 1
GitS SAC Season 2
Solid State Society
Movie 3

To be honest the order of watching doesn't influence too much. There are some continuity errors between movie 1 and season 1 but those are just design oversights. Save Movie 3 for the very last though.

#162 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:38 AM

View PostBalrogLord, on 18 September 2011 - 04:48 PM, said:

I need recommendation: what is the order of watching Ghost in the Shell (series + movies)?

GitS SAC Season 1
GitS SAC Season 2
Solid State Society
Movie 3

To be honest the order of watching doesn't influence too much. There are some continuity errors between movie 1 and season 1 but those are just design oversights. Save Movie 3 for the very last though.

theres a THIRD movie? Le GASP!!!!
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#163 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:22 AM

okay, so just as an aside, i've had another anime lying around on my hard drive for god knows how long.

it's called Gasaraki, it's an obscure mecha title by sunrise (the people who make the Gundam series), which I also found via tv tropes.

i've tried to watch it a few times before, but that was usually during the summer, and after work, so I lacked the attention span necessary.
I decided to give it another try. i'm four episodes in, and I have almost no idea what's going on. It's a low-key mecha show, but there are also elements of somthing occult, and a conspiracy (possibly two) on top of it.

anyhow, it's actually fairly interesting now, so I thought i'd just share it here.

also, add me as another one surprised by GitS movie is that the one called GitS 2: innocence?

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 19 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#164 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

View PostDolmen, on 19 September 2011 - 04:38 AM, said:

View PostBalrogLord, on 18 September 2011 - 04:48 PM, said:

GitS SAC Season 1
GitS SAC Season 2
Solid State Society
Movie 3

theres a THIRD movie? Le GASP!!!!

and its just as good the others. Its darker though and it has a different style of animation.

#165 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:41 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 September 2011 - 02:36 AM, said:

how safe is signing up for a hulu account? They want first and last name, address, Bday... I just wanna watch some videos, geez. Anyone got any input?

I've been on it for awhile. Just make up a profile. The b-day is mostly because of the mature content and trying to prevent the stupid kids who can't lie from watching some of the more adult content.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#166 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:00 AM

No problem.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#167 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:53 PM

watched the first GitS movie yesterday.

and the opening theme of the anime is in Russian? +1
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#168 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:58 AM

solid state society Really impressed me. Just not clear on the ending. Was the major the one behind the solid state or was she subconsciously a part of it?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#169 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

so anyways im thinking berserk may be my new favourite old anime. Its like watching karsa grow up.

EDIT: wellll just watched the ending. It was...horrible. Going off to sulk in a corner. Excuse me.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 24 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

#170 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

View PostDolmen+, on 24 October 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

so anyways im thinking berserk may be my new favourite old anime. Its like watching karsa grow up.

EDIT: wellll just watched the ending. It was...horrible. Going off to sulk in a corner. Excuse me.

yeah it does suffer from one of those read the manga endings. Thing about berserk is that its still ongoing. The guy has 1-2 publishings a year so its been an on going series for ages. The difference though is that since there's so much time in between them the quality is assured.

Theres a new Berserk OVA coming out soon.(next year or so) It looks as if it starts in the same spot as the anime series but it might go further.

#171 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:45 PM

I hope to all things holy it does, gonna have to pick up the manga. Up until griffith little trip up the entire thing was perfect.

#172 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

I gave my xbox to my father, in an effort to get time sinks out of my house.

In another effort, I'm trying to form a better connection with him. This can only happen if we don't have to have conversations so... watching TV! He bought netflix for the xbox, and we've been watching various things, including some anime.

He (and I) loved Ghost in the Shell. Anyone know anything else along these lines? It just feels like nothing else could compare in that genre.
Currently watching Samurai Champloo. It's pretty good, but not great.
I think we're going for FMA next. To watch Brotherhood or the original? I watched the original long ago, but haven't seen brotherhood.

#173 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

Brotherhood's all right, but I've only seen it, and not the original. I find a bit of a disconnect occasionally between the tone of FMA's style and that of its subject matter. At times it seems rather light-hearted for stuff that's really kinda dark if you think about it.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#174 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:35 AM

I googled it, and Brotherhood is supposedly more lighthearted and follows the manga more, so more people preferred it.

I don't care about the manga, so it was hard to find actual opinions. That's why I asked here.

The original was actually quite dark. I'll probably go with that. Anime comedy doesn't go over well with my father, either.

Edit: Finished Samurai Champloo, btw. It was pretty good. Reminded me of a samurai version of cowboy bepop. Not as good, either.

This post has been edited by JLV: 11 November 2011 - 03:35 AM

#175 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:03 AM

Eh, I was the same RE: Anime comedy and the associated art breaks and such...until I watched Brotherhood. Granted, I have not watched the first one, but Brotherhood was quite frankly, brilliant. Some of the shine has worn off by now, but when I first watched it I thought it was awesome. :p

And it does still have a lot of darker aspects, particularly once you get, oh, a third of the way in. It just has more mood whiplash because of that - but it's whiplash that is quite effective, rather than whiplash that kills your enjoyment. At least, imo.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#176 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:48 AM

I love the GITS series. Its damn good.

If you want hard hitting anime similar to GITS I'd recommend black lagoon robertas blood trial. Black lagoon in general was really gritty in its approach to storytelling. Its low tech, high octane action. They dealt with some hard existential, political and ethical subjects despite the fact its not meant to be an intelligent anime. I enjoyed every character they introduce, a seriously underrated anime.

I watched fma original. Didn't care much for the conclusion but i appreciated the stories build up. Didn't expect much when watching it at first. Was pleasantly surprised with its developmennt. I hear brotherhood takes the story to a far better place doing what OVAs do for hellsing and evangelion.

#177 User is offline   Furoan 

• Recruit

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

GitS is a truly excellent series. Watch it if you haven't.

Another series that you should check out for just how beautiful its put together is Angel Beats. Even if you don't like the story I just think you should watch it simply for how its put together.

Hellsing Ultimate trumps the original Hellsing anime by like five hundred thousand percent. It's basically adaption of the Manga and you should watch it. In fact why are you still reading this? Why are you not watching Hellsing Ultimate right now?

World Only God knows is likely to annoy a few people in this thread, but at the same time the first season was fairly excellent for what it was and you might want to check it out. Its very much 'typical' in that there is a high school student drawn into a crazy situation but how things work can be interesting. However I will say its going to be very much hit and miss for people. Some will like it, and others will loathe it for the over the top reactions of the main character and the premise itself.

Serial Experiments Lain is awesome. It still remains as one of my favorite anime's even though its place has inevitably slipped over the years. Its a very much mind screw anime and you will be left staring at the screen going 'what the hell' after you see it. Still its rather fun.

Histories Strongest Disciple Kenichi is a fairly fun but silly pure shounen thing. Don't expect any massive changes or the best thing you have ever seen but for some entertaining stuff its pretty good, and its much more grounded in reality for a fighting show than some of them (cough Dragonball cough)

K-On is pretty fun for just slice of life stuff. Its not really super amazing but its fairly entertaining. It revolves around four new high school girls who form a band.

While its ...weird...and follows the typical anime formula I would still watch Lucky Star at some point . Very slice of life but fun at the same time. Its real strength is in character interaction. However there isn't really a plot there, so don't come in expecting high drama.

One I can really recomend is Canaan. Watch Canaaan. Watch it now. That anime is amazing.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is very very good. You might get sick of the fans of it but for what it is, it and its sequels are very fun to watch. Just try and avoid the internet about it because the fans of it get slightly disturbing in their obsession over the poor magical girl. However the show itself is pretty good.

Speaking of Magical Girl shows that actually work try Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Its a very interesting look into a magical girl show. I won't spoil anything because its just that good but its very much worth watching.

Hajime no Ippo is a fairly interesting 'sports anime' revolving around a teen named Ippo who gets drawn into the world of Boxing. Its not high art, but its solid and has some fun characters.

Slayers is an old one and while fairly close to formula is still a load of fun to watch.

While it has a bit of a reputation, the original Dragonball anime (not Z) can be fun to watch, if you can push through a couple 'really, really japan?' moments.

#178 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

View PostJLV, on 11 November 2011 - 03:35 AM, said:

I googled it, and Brotherhood is supposedly more lighthearted and follows the manga more, so more people preferred it.

I don't care about the manga, so it was hard to find actual opinions. That's why I asked here.

The original was actually quite dark. I'll probably go with that. Anime comedy doesn't go over well with my father, either.

Edit: Finished Samurai Champloo, btw. It was pretty good. Reminded me of a samurai version of cowboy bepop. Not as good, either.

The general consensus is that Cowboy Bebop is the better series. Samurai Champloo is fun, though.

An anime that I saw recently that was surprisingly good was Toward the Terra (series). Definitely not a comedic one.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#179 User is offline   blanketman2.0 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

View PostFuroan, on 11 November 2011 - 05:58 AM, said:

One I can really recomend is Canaan. Watch Canaaan. Watch it now. That anime is amazing.

i second that it has some awesome action and the plot is solid.
blankets are always in style

#180 User is offline   Dag 

• Burninating poodles since 1996

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

View PostKanese S, on 11 November 2011 - 09:25 AM, said:

The general consensus is that Cowboy Bebop is the better series. Samurai Champloo is fun, though.

I disagree with this "general consensus", but, well... de gustibus and all that... :p

View PostKanese S, on 11 November 2011 - 09:25 AM, said:

An anime that I saw recently that was surprisingly good was Toward the Terra (series). Definitely not a comedic one.

Yeah, "Terra e" was a pleasant surprise for me as well (the 2007 series, not the 1980 movie which I've also seen and didn't like as much). It's a quite dark space opera with larger-than-life characters, a lot of emotional twists and turns and some awesome space battles (especially towards the end). You would have to be quite weird to find anything in there that would make you laugh or even smile, but if a few manly tears are shed, that's all right, no need to worry or feel ashamed... (It made me cry like a baby. :p )
The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

45 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users