• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ascendants vs. Gods

#21 User is offline   Mcardle 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

See I remember that but I'm drawing a mental blank on anyone who is unaligned but discussing that is probably getting out of GOTM territory
Last In, First Out

#22 User is offline   Mcardle 

• Sergeant

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

But also on that note if they get a new card if they are unaligned then does Ascendency = position in the Deck of dragons not hold? And people on the path to ascendancy just those getting powerful enough to fulfil a role on the deck?
Last In, First Out

#23 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostMcardle, on 18 November 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

But also on that note if they get a new card if they are unaligned then does Ascendency = position in the Deck of dragons not hold? And people on the path to ascendancy just those getting powerful enough to fulfil a role on the deck?

Not all ascendants have a position in the deck - nor do you have to be an ascendant to have a position in the deck/holds. I'm only on book 7, but there seems to be a lot of unfilled deck positions or roles that people move in and out of. So they might have a card, but not all the cards are in play. Regarding the unaligned - in the back of the book there is a list of the Deck of Dragons positions and there is also a list of some of the unaligned ascendants - like the brother/sister duo who are "gods of chance" (I forget their names right now).

I believe GotM briefly mentions that
Spoiler
- spoiler tagged it in case it didn't really happen in GotM but I'm pretty sure it was covered. It's a very minor spoiler at best.

PS - ascendants/gods can be in the Holds or Deck of Dragons - much of this will become more clear as you read on.

This post has been edited by BellaGrace: 19 November 2014 - 04:08 PM

I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

#24 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

I agree with most of what's been said, I'd just like to add that some ascendants actively avoid ending up in the deck of dragons. Or at least they try to, the reasons for that are, well, the nail that sticks out and all :The Force:

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:20 PM

I wish that this thread was in a later forum because I'd like to refute that statement.

One does not avoid ending up in the deck.

#26 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

i always thought of gods as occupying a throne of like a warren and this was how they ascended, whereas ascendants were just immortals one way or another. but then .... what does that make kallor? 0.0

#27 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

Not an ascendant or a god.

Spoiler

EDIT: I put that inside a black box since I can't recall how much is said about Kallor before the third book.

This post has been edited by Apt: 10 December 2014 - 01:27 PM

#28 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:56 PM

ohh uses thoughs century candles that he gets kinda high off just sniffs the scent they give off. speaking of kallor i think he's overrated in terms of power or am i being silly

#29 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:14 AM

Kallor isn't stupid, he won't cross blades with someone he can't beat (Rake, The Warlord, Seguleh First), however you'd be surprised at who he manages to beat.

#30 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

Kallor overrated? Shame that this thread is in GotM so no room for further discussion. But overrated he is surely not.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#31 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

i don't think he's even in GotM but hmmm i wish to ask your thoughts on why he is not. but like you said its a GotM thread :/

#32 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

View PostThe Hust Legion, on 10 December 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

i don't think he's even in GotM but hmmm i wish to ask your thoughts on why he is not. but like you said its a GotM thread :/

I think he's in there for one paragraph.. .isn't there a scene where Crone goes to visit Brood and at the end Kallor comes in and makes some kind of snide comment about Rake?
I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

#33 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:48 AM

View PostBellaGrace, on 11 December 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostThe Hust Legion, on 10 December 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

I think he's in there for one paragraph.. .isn't there a scene where Crone goes to visit Brood and at the end Kallor comes in and makes some kind of snide comment about Rake?

Unfortunately GotM is the one physical copy of this series I have, thus it is not on my Kindle, which if it were, I'd be able to easily search for where he is in the book, but my copy of GotM lists him in the Glossary as "The High King," and I had thought that it was in GotM that Erikson goes into his history a bit, but I could be wrong.

#34 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

There's also a chapter starting snippet (chapter 10) from a conversation between Caladan Brood and Kallor (who is his 2nd in command at the time of GotM), the glorious ultimate put-down of all time:

Kallor: "I walked this land when the T'Lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"
"Yes", said Caladan Brood, "you never learn."

And Kallor indeed briefly makes an appearance in a conversation with Brood and Crone.

Incidentally, the above snippet also answers your question as to why Kallor is not overrated.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#35 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:23 PM

View PostGorefest, on 16 December 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

There's also a chapter starting snippet (chapter 10) from a conversation between Caladan Brood and Kallor (who is his 2nd in command at the time of GotM), the glorious ultimate put-down of all time:

Kallor: "I walked this land when the T'Lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"

And Kallor indeed briefly makes an appearance in a conversation with Brood and Crone.

Incidentally, the above snippet also answers your question as to why Kallor is not overrated.

maybe my hatred of him blinds me lol. i do remember instances where his prowess impressed me. but id lump him in the ascendant catergory cause he's lived for that long and because of this compared to other ascendents. he is ... overrated may not be the right word but meh i can't think of the right word.

#36 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:46 AM

One of the things that I enjoyed about Kallor is that he isn't a one dimensional character, he does things that show hidden depths but also his vast acquaintance with suffering.

#37 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

He did all that in his one or two GotM scenes?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#38 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

You don't get a sense of Kallor having some depth to him out of that one quote? That's the part that told me Kallor had a part to play in this series and that perhaps it wasn't a small one.

#39 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

Actually that quote tells me he's the most one-dimensional dude who ever lived.

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#40 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:05 AM

Actually he never lived since he's all fictional and stuff.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users