• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The game I'm playing is...

#3601 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

I really loved that game. I was sold right from the intro and never stopped enjoying myself.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3602 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

I'm still playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and will be for a loooooong time I expect. Can't believe a friend of mine is on his fourth play through :lol:

Anyhow, it's annoying that this game was knobbled by being released in an incomplete/bugged to hell state and got average/poor reviews as a result, because now it's been patched and balanced to a point where it is as slick as hell and an absolute joy to play, plus the Kingdom management adds another level of complexity and fun that I heven't really encountered in other games of this type. Love it.

#3603 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 12 November 2019 - 01:39 PM

View PostSerenity, on 12 November 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

I'm still playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and will be for a loooooong time I expect. Can't believe a friend of mine is on his fourth play through :lol:

Anyhow, it's annoying that this game was knobbled by being released in an incomplete/bugged to hell state and got average/poor reviews as a result, because now it's been patched and balanced to a point where it is as slick as hell and an absolute joy to play, plus the Kingdom management adds another level of complexity and fun that I heven't really encountered in other games of this type. Love it.

My biggest problem with this game, in 2 different playthroughs, is you don't have time to do all the quests and all the kingdom management aspects, which frustrates my gaming OCD. I believe that is very true to the Kingmaker module, but it's about my only real complaint of the game.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3604 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:54 PM

View PostObdigore, on 12 November 2019 - 01:39 PM, said:

My biggest problem with this game, in 2 different playthroughs, is you don't have time to do all the quests and all the kingdom management aspects, which frustrates my gaming OCD. I believe that is very true to the Kingmaker module, but it's about my only real complaint of the game.

Yeah, I can see the beginnings of that. These sorts of games usually cripple me with indecision, which this one certainly does with the character builds (usually takes me the best part of an hour just to go through the level up decisions), but the kingdom management doesn't bother me so much (so far) as I'm enjoying having to make those calls.

#3605 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:59 PM

View PostAptorian, on 12 November 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

What do you think of the insanity elements and the way her dealing with the grief is portrayed? I thought it was really uncomfortable at times but also effective.

I have mixed thoughts. I feel that the psychotic symptoms (i.e, voices) are incorporated into the gameplay too well- especially in combat, they basically replace visual prompts- the "behind you!" is akin to seeing an off-screen attack prompt in some other 3rd person action games, and some other shouts when you're knocked down feel like QTE prompts of the "press X to not die" variety. They're so helpful, that I find myself accepting them implicitly- which feels counter-intuitive to the whole "show how disturbing these things are" intent.

Using the flashbacks as and "the darkness" as a storytelling device has been (so far- not at the end yet), a neat touch. Ofc, I'm not a good person to judge, since I deal with psych victims most days of my work life, so I tend to roll with these things more than an average person might. I like the game quite a lot as a game - i find that most gameplay mechanics work well, and even if the pattern-recognition mechanics can feel a bit clunky at times, overall, i's a tight and fairly intuitive experience. I'm not sure if I'd say that it's a profound revelation on the nature of mental illness though.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3606 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:05 PM

View PostSerenity, on 12 November 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

Yeah, I can see the beginnings of that. These sorts of games usually cripple me with indecision, which this one certainly does with the character builds (usually takes me the best part of an hour just to go through the level up decisions), but the kingdom management doesn't bother me so much (so far) as I'm enjoying having to make those calls.

Yea as you get further in, there are what seem like very important kingdom 'opportunities/threats' and of course you only have so many people in your council, and each one can only do a single thing at once. Plus there is the side quests/main quests, and then you even get to a point where a couple of your party members run off, and you have to choose which order you go after them.

It feels more realistic, but also more punishing in that effect, over something like the Divinity games, or even more arcad-y games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, or even The Outer Worlds, which has the same kind of binary choices, but you make each choice, it isn't a question of 'I have 5 opportunities and 5 threats to deal with, and 3 available councilors, each of which can deal with one thing. Well fuck.

I've been told its very true to the source material in this regard, which is cool, and great if that's what you're looking for, but it wasn't something I enjoyed. The gameplay and story and all that was great.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 12 November 2019 - 06:06 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3607 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:17 AM

Perhaps it's very symbolic that the first time I tried to confront the final fight in Hellblade, my game crashed hard, playing the audio, but with screen frozen, and no commands registering. I wasn't sure if it was part of the game, but it turned out it wasn't.

Yeah, that story was something. Nice song in the credits, too (listening to it as I'm typing this).

Not gonna rush to replay this, but I will eventually go back for those remaining Lore stones.

Tried Ashes of Oahu- it plays rough, looks shiny and gorgeous for a low-budget game, but the controls are hard-wired right now, so i'll go back to this once the devs update those to allow me to rebind keys.

So in the meantime, I'm trying the first Styx game.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 13 November 2019 - 06:46 PM

#3608 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

View PostObdigore, on 12 November 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

View PostSerenity, on 12 November 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

Yea as you get further in, there are what seem like very important kingdom 'opportunities/threats' and of course you only have so many people in your council, and each one can only do a single thing at once. Plus there is the side quests/main quests, and then you even get to a point where a couple of your party members run off, and you have to choose which order you go after them.

It feels more realistic, but also more punishing in that effect, over something like the Divinity games, or even more arcad-y games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, or even The Outer Worlds, which has the same kind of binary choices, but you make each choice, it isn't a question of 'I have 5 opportunities and 5 threats to deal with, and 3 available councilors, each of which can deal with one thing. Well fuck.

I've been told its very true to the source material in this regard, which is cool, and great if that's what you're looking for, but it wasn't something I enjoyed. The gameplay and story and all that was great.

I genuinely don't know how I'll feel about that at the moment. My characters have only just hit level 7, around 40 hours in. I'm generally not someone who feels the need to 100% games, though, so it may not bother me so much unless it completely screws up something I'm trying to do. But then it might be fun to try and figure those problems out.

At the moment I'm really enjoying how this gives the game such a different feel to others of the same ilk, and that it wants me to make those difficult choices. I just had a guy from Pitax turn up in the throne room and start scoffing at the state of my kingdom. I gave him pretty short shrift. Can't wait to see how that comes back to bite me on the arse later on :lol:

#3609 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:02 AM

That game goes places.

#3610 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:19 PM

I also only played the Last of Us for the first time quite recently. An incredible game, both the intro and the ending have stayed firmly lodged in my mind (and the middle ain’t half bad either).
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#3611 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:12 PM

welp, the devs from Forgotten Empires confirmed on Steam forums that AoE and AoK DE are in fact, playable on Win 7 (though any problems won't be supported, cuz they're not officially supported).

So I guess I'm diving back into AoK again this weekend. There go another few hundred hours of my life. No need to wait for that Win 10 upgrade anymore.

Edit: at least 2 of the Forgotten campaigns (Alaric and the Incas) were re-made from the ground up. RIP my free time. (EDIT: It's actually all of the Forgotten campaigns, it seems)

Also, my God, does this game look pretty.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 21 November 2019 - 05:18 PM

#3612 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:47 AM

So Alaric campaign is totally different. Only the siege of Rome map is based on the one in HD, but most of the RPG elements and trigger-fests are stripped out and we are left with a much more coherent scenario.

Scen 5 is actually really tough. Forced a bunch of restarts, because turtling flat out doesn't work. I had to snipe the Goth enemy with my starting units, pretty much, cuz otherwise the waves of heavy post-Imp infantry would just crush me.

Started Attila and again, on Moderate I was getting my ass handed to me, until I bumped the game speed down to "slow". Then I was able to take out the Romans and play this normally.

#3613 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:34 AM

Made a bit more progress on Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Divinity: Original Sin 2 over the weekend.

When I'm away from the pc I've returned to The Banner Saga, finally. I started it on pc years ago but it didn't like my graphics card for some reason, so I never got far. Got the trilogy on Switch last Christmas and played a good few hours but then got distracted by something shiny (think it was Dead Cells, another game I've been playing again) and then drifted away from it. It's so good, though. I've been feeling a little burnt out on JRPGs recently and so it's really hitting the spot. I love its atmosphere.

#3614 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:17 PM

GOG released Warlords III yesterday. So I went to bed at 3 AM, after playing through the first campaign scenario as Lord Bane out for revenge.

This winter's gonna be all about 90s strategy nostalgia, not to mention Warcraft III Reforged is on the horizon, and it looks jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

#3615 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:01 AM

I'm still on Outer Worlds, with some visits to a new game of Warhammer Total War 2. They've done an Empire overhaul, so I figured I'd finally finish a long campaign with the Empire as the Arch Lector.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3616 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:43 AM

Got distracted from Outer Worlds, as I put Breath of the Wild on and got absorbed immediately. Beat the second Divine Beast, found a dragon up on a mountain, and got some helpful climbing gear.

Then went trekking south into unexplored land; seems mostly rainy and tropical at the moment which is a nice change from lava and boiling rock.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3617 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:36 PM

Apparently Paths of Exile is getting a big overhaul? Any players here who know what it is about? I used to play it quite a lot but haven't touched it in over a year.

I finished Breath of the Wild the other week. Got to the end before I fully realised it was the end, so after finishing it the first time I went back to get all my memory locations and most of the shrines ticked, plus get the full ancient armour, then redid the boss fight. I actually struggled more the second time around, surprisingly.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 22 November 2019 - 12:37 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3618 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

Nioh is free for PSN subscribers. I've downloaded and won't be able to get into playing until the weekend. But was wondering what I can expect? I believe it's in the same vein as Dark Souls and those types of games, so I'm guessing challenge frustration might be something to get reacquainted with?

#3619 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:47 PM

I remember hearing that it's more forgiving than the souls games. Might be level or area based as well.

#3620 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:02 AM

BotW. Just beat 3rd divine beast. Game is surprisingly easy, but it makes it accessible to the kids.

It's good fun anyway, I can now see that without the exploring side you could totally finish this in no time at all.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 November 2019 - 11:04 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 237 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users