Malazan Empire: My Review of Midnight Tides - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Review of Midnight Tides spoiler-free

#1 User is offline   FastBen 

• Alchemist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:My spec. fiction reviews here at: http://speculativebookreview.blogspot.com/

Also Check out my Tumblr review site, reviewing everything under the sun:

http://dachaublues.tumblr.com/
  • # "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead"

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

http://speculativebo...en-erikson.html
  • "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead"

#2 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

Cool review, the only question I have is why, in the penultimate paragraph, you write 'Erickson', when you've written 'Erikson' everywhere else (EDIT: except once in the last paragraph, too, but my question still stands)? I don't think it's a typo as you did it about three times but only confined to that single paragraph.

...Own up -- you didn't write that paragraph, did you?

Good stuff, otherwise.

This post has been edited by Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast: 08 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#3 User is offline   FastBen 

• Alchemist
  • Interests:My spec. fiction reviews here at: http://speculativebookreview.blogspot.com/

• # "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead"

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 08 May 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

Cool review, the only question I have is why, in the penultimate paragraph, you write 'Erickson', when you've written 'Erikson' everywhere else (EDIT: except once in the last paragraph, too, but my question still stands)? I don't think it's a typo as you did it about three times but only confined to that single paragraph.

...Own up -- you didn't write that paragraph, did you?

Good stuff, otherwise.

Hehe, I didn't realize I did that - thanks for noticing.

Nope, that is me - I just got the job being the new review on that site and that is my first review - I will fix it!

#4 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:27 AM

I still take issue with people calling some plotlines 'simply unnecessary', but nice review otherwise.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#5 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

I agree somewhat with the above ^^ as I always wonder what the plotlines are that are deemed unnecessary?
It would be nice to know. I think you're not sure yourself as you said - "Its not clear which elements are simply extraneous and which will be resolved in later volumes", so I look forward to your posting further reviews. I don't disagree with you as such, it's just that we all read things differently and my take may not be the same as yours or others. :D

I do think it's a fair review - and as your first one - thanks very much for posting it.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#6 User is offline   FastBen 

• Alchemist

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:44 PM

Hetan, on 12 May 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

I agree somewhat with the above ^^ as I always wonder what the plotlines are that are deemed unnecessary?
It would be nice to know. I think you're not sure yourself as you said - "Its not clear which elements are simply extraneous and which will be resolved in later volumes", so I look forward to your posting further reviews. I don't disagree with you as such, it's just that we all read things differently and my take may not be the same as yours or others. :D

I do think it's a fair review - and as your first one - thanks very much for posting it.

Well its a matter of debate what is exactly "necessary" or "unnecessary". Personally, I think in the best books each piece contributes directly to the whole. However, Erickson is telling a huuuuge story here - and as a first time reader its hard to judge the unity of everything. Personally, I think the book would not have been much different without the character of Hull Beddict. He leaks to the Tiste Edur information about Letherii strategy, and you can argue that his traitorous back story is somewhat compelling and somehow contributes to the whole picture of the individuals that have been wronged by Letherii society. He could be setting up for something in a later volume as well. But, really I could have lived without him.

I just think Erickson thinks big. Instead of trimming the unnecessary he includes as much as possible having a kind of "bigger is better" mentality. This has its pluses and minuses I think. It really paints a large picture of a large scale world and has an epic feel to it, Sometimes, though, more is actually less as such large cast of characters tends to blur them altogether and they all seem less significant. This comes down to a matter of taste though really - and since I haven't finished the series I will read on and see how I feel about the entirety of it at the end.

But really I love Erickson's books, I'm just trying to be critical as a critic. I try to be tough with my scores not giving anything an 8 or above unless I really really like it. And things might completely change on a re-read. That's why Erikson is tough to a review - I'll be able to give a more accurate score on a second reading.

This post has been edited by FastBen: 12 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

#7 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

The whole beauty of the Malazan series is that there are so many plotlines going on at any givem time that add to the richness of the world. I agree that Erikson thinks big and the series definitely feels overwhelming at times but thats because there is no centralized plot (there is the one revolving around the Crippled God but not everything relates to it), Erikson is telling us of major events hapenning during that period of time.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users