Malazan Empire: Epic re-read! - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Epic re-read!

#1 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Just finished my 2nd read of BH. Took me 15 days, and it was, unsurprisingly, much better than my first read.
I enjoyed it the first time, but this time it seemed to take on another level of quality.
This is all down to my epic re-read of BH through to tTH. So I can get the best of crippled god. Another 2 weeks for RG, should be ready to start tCG in july!!
Here we go.....
"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#2 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

View PostSolidsnape, on 07 April 2011 - 07:40 PM, said:

Just finished my 2nd read of BH. Took me 15 days, and it was, unsurprisingly, much better than my first read.
I enjoyed it the first time, but this time it seemed to take on another level of quality.
This is all down to my epic re-read of BH through to tTH. So I can get the best of crippled god. Another 2 weeks for RG, should be ready to start tCG in july!!
Here we go.....

Just gotta brag once again for starting a series reread in May of 2010 and finishing all 9 THE DAY before my copy of Crippled God arrived.

Bonehunters went up a lot in my books upon reread. It has a lot of impact on later books, more than some of the others.

I think some confusing elements are cleared up by later books (and ICE) too - like why we should care about Temper, Nimander, Withal, Banaschar, etc. The rest of the motley ones.

This post has been edited by Tatterdemalion: 07 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#3 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

Yeah I couldn't remember if the BH was set before ICE started or not.
I'd forgot about icarium kicking off at the first throne, trull is a serious hard ass. Loved that bit.

Good going on the re-read. Top notch. I can't wait for tCG, but I know once I get into RG again, I'll remember why in doing it.

By the way, Trull sengar is the man. Who in their right mind squares up to the lifeslayer?!?!?!?!?!

I guess he didn't know........
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#4 User is offline   Calmerwater 

• Recruit

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

Good to read this - I've stalled about 200 pages into BH on my re-read in prep for tCG copy that is waiting patiently on the shelf.... convinced me to get back in to it before I forget the whole frigging plot and need to start again!!! It wasn't that I wasn't enjoying it, it's just that I was finding it quite relentless, and needed some respite for a few days.... true that so much more is making sense too...

thanks for posting!
Speak truth, grow still, until the water is clear between us.

#5 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

When I first read Bonehunters I really wasn't that amazed by it, but on re-read it became one of my favourites in the whole series. You see so much more when re-reading, and Erikson hides so many details that it is definitely worth while!

This post has been edited by caladanbrood: 08 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#6 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

True dat cal. SE is a true genius. It's like he knew we'd read them over and over and over.....
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users