• You cannot reply to this topic

Will I enjoy this series?

#1 User is offline   Tezz 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hi All,

Horrible subject for my first post but here i go :S,

I have just finished George RR Martin's a song of ice and fire series (well the ones available at the moment.)

I enjoyed it immensley and was my first foray into the fantasy genre, I am looking for something meaty to get my teeth into to keep my interest going and just order the first book in this series.

Anyone any tips or advice are they similar? complicated (which i enjoy), and with rich backstory and history?

thanks in advance for any help

/Tezz

#2 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

Not sure how you 'finished' ASoIaF since it is not complete, but if you mean you are current, then yes, you will enjoy the Malazan Empire Books of the Fallen.

I think it is deeper, there is more magic, and there are a lot more different 'tales'.

Frankly, you are looking for complicated (yes), rich backstory and history (more than ASoIaF I think), then yes, you would enjoy these books quite a bit.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

View PostTezz, on 07 April 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

Hi All,

I have just finished George RR Martin's a song of ice and fire series (well the ones available at the moment.)

I enjoyed it immensley and was my first foray into the fantasy genre, I am looking for something meaty to get my teeth into to keep my interest going and just order the first book in this series.

Anyone any tips or advice are they similar? complicated (which i enjoy), and with rich backstory and history?

/Tezz

Welcome, and there's nothing wrong with this as your first post.

Based on the criteria you just outlined and my extreme bias, I say yes, you will enjoy it immensely. Complicated, rich backstory and history are three of Erikson's greatest strengths as an author.

What do you think of GRRM's series so far? It's very, very loosely comparable to Malazan in many ways, while in other ways it's a study in contrasts. As you've just finished 1-4 of A Song of Ice and Fire, if you dive into Malazan I'd say keep these key points in mind:

1.) There's much, much more magic in the Malazan world. As I also jumped into Malazan after GRRM, I can say from personal experience that this can be jarring. Be open-minded.

2.) Erikson won't spoon-feed you the way Martin does at times. Whereas with Martin you can see him setting up many big plot and character developments miles away, this usually isn't the case with Erikson. He asks for more faith and - sometimes - patience on the part of his reader. What makes this okay is that he rewards it enormously.

3.) You know how it's pretty clear as soon as you start GRRM who you're supposed to be rooting for and who the bad guys are? Yeah. Not the case with Erikson. You're not supposed to know who the good guys are because there aren't any "good" guys. In fact, I'd say any time you catch yourself asking a question that starts with "Am I supposed to..?" when reading the first book, stop.

This post has been edited by Neocount Cicero: 07 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

Notwithstanding how great SIF is, Malazan is better.

Of course, i'm just a teeny bit biased. ;)

But coming out of SIF, just be prepared to be tossed into the middle of an very different story and setting where you won't know quite what's going on, and go with it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Tezz 

• Recruit

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

View PostObdigore, on 07 April 2011 - 05:01 PM, said:

Not sure how you 'finished' ASoIaF since it is not complete, but if you mean you are current, then yes, you will enjoy the Malazan Empire Books of the Fallen.

I think it is deeper, there is more magic, and there are a lot more different 'tales'.

Frankly, you are looking for complicated (yes), rich backstory and history (more than ASoIaF I think), then yes, you would enjoy these books quite a bit.

Thanks and i did say in my post i read the ASoIaF available at the moment looking forward til july!

#6 User is offline   Tezz 

• Recruit

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

View PostNeocount Cicero, on 07 April 2011 - 05:04 PM, said:

View PostTezz, on 07 April 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

Hi All,

/Tezz

Welcome, and there's nothing wrong with this as your first post.

Based on the criteria you just outlined and my extreme bias, I say yes, you will enjoy it immensely. Complicated, rich backstory and history are three of Erikson's greatest strengths as an author.

What do you think of GRRM's series so far? It's very, very loosely comparable to Malazan in many ways, while in other ways it's a study in contrasts. As you've just finished 1-4 of A Song of Ice and Fire, if you dive into Malazan I'd say keep these key points in mind:

1.) There's much, much more magic in the Malazan world. As I also jumped into Malazan after GRRM, I can say from personal experience that this can be jarring. Be open-minded.

2.) Erikson won't spoon-feed you the way Martin does at times. Whereas with Martin you can see him setting up many big plot and character developments miles away, this usually isn't the case with Erikson. He asks for more faith and - sometimes - patience on the part of his reader. What makes this okay is that he rewards it enormously.

3.) You know how it's pretty clear as soon as you start GRRM who you're supposed to be rooting for and who the bad guys are? Yeah. Not the case with Erikson. You're not supposed to know who the good guys are because there aren't any "good" guys. In fact, I'd say any time you catch yourself asking a question that starts with "Am I supposed to..?" when reading the first book, stop.

Yes thats a great point on plot and character development, I found myself at times during first 5 Asoiaf books praying the obvious wasn't going to happen and often it did ;) there are some swerves in there though which are some of the higlights of the series so far.

But as someone who hasnt really read a whole lot since school (im 27 now) GRRM's novels were kinda a big commitment and i found you got out of them what you put in, I just went with it for the most part and the way it is structured from different POV's often 1000's of miles apart it just built on suspense and investment i had in the characters.

#7 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:20 PM

View PostTezz, on 07 April 2011 - 05:13 PM, said:

the way it is structured from different POV's often 1000's of miles apart it just built on suspense and investment .

If this is your bag, then you definitely want to read Malazan.

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#8 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, definitely. If you like that kind of stuff and are willing to invest your time and believe in SE [to many people it may not seem so, but those who trust in SE and stick with the series know that he damn well does know what he's doing] you definitely will be rewarded big time.

And welcome to the forums ;)

This post has been edited by Puck: 07 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#9 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

Get it, read it. Only thing you can lose is your sanity... and its worth of it ;)
(not constructive response, but rest of group said all valid points:))
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#10 User is offline   Tezz 

• Recruit

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

thanks for the replies guys!, came home from work to find the first book waiting for me in the post! gonna get stuck in and report back!

#11 User is offline   Herc 

• Recruit

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

For what it's worth, I hadn't read fiction in about half a dozen years, and I reacquainted myself to it through ASoIaF. I started Malazan 'cause I needed something to keep me occupied while waiting for the new ASoIaF, and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up prefering Malazan too. You totally get your money's worth, and you will quickly look forward to re-reading it. One thing that should be said: all you need (apart from time and patience) is to trust Steven Erikson. Everything is in there for a reason. Your faith will be rewarded. Happy reading, and enjoy!

This post has been edited by Herc: 11 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

If you're not hooked by the end of book one -- and you certainly might be, since it's pretty great -- I would encourage you to read the second (and even third) book anyway. It's hard to get a handle on what he's trying to do from just the first book alone.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13 User is offline   Kim Bookreader 

• Recruit

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

I accidentally started with Dust of Dreams, it's book 9 in the series and I got stuck! Got it for a trip to Mexico, after I came home I bought all books that were available and has not looked back since! The books just gets better and better and soon I will re-read Dust of Dreams :p

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:35 PM

View PostKim Bookreader, on 14 April 2011 - 12:04 PM, said:

I accidentally started with Dust of Dreams, it's book 9 in the series and I got stuck! ...

so how did that work out? did you finish it or stop once you realized?

#15 User is offline   Kim Bookreader 

• Recruit

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 April 2011 - 03:35 PM, said:

I accidentally started with Dust of Dreams, it's book 9 in the series and I got stuck! ...

Of course I had to finish it, it was very very confusing though. But I really liked the authors writing style, the characters, how he told the story and the world that he described. And I imagine that it will be even better when I will re-read it. I'm almost done with Toll of Hounds :D

#16 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

View PostKim Bookreader, on 14 April 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 14 April 2011 - 03:35 PM, said:

Of course I had to finish it, it was very very confusing though. But I really liked the authors writing style, the characters, how he told the story and the world that he described. And I imagine that it will be even better when I will re-read it. I'm almost done with Toll of Hounds :D

I can't believe you started with Dust of Dreams and finished it and liked it despite the fact that there's almost no chance that you knew anything at all about anything that was going on. At all. That's actually incredibly impressive.

#17 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:19 PM

Be prepared to Re-read and re-read and re-read...

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

View Postnacht, on 14 April 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

Be prepared to Re-read and re-read and re-read...

in a totally awesome way.

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

View PostNeocount Cicero, on 14 April 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

View PostKim Bookreader, on 14 April 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

Of course I had to finish it, it ...

I can't believe you started with Dust of Dreams and finished it and liked it ... That's actually incredibly impressive.

Seconded.
And people complain about starting GotM in medias res ...

#20 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

It's also worth saying Tezz, get Gardens of the Moon and Deadhouse gates and read both before making a decision as to whether to continue on the series.

Some people find Gardens of the Moon hard, and then years later read Deadhouse Gates, come on here and rave about how stupid they were to miss out. They kind of complete each other.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users