• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dust of Dreams Summary Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Animace 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:33 AM

Hey there,

So i just started crippled god and realised that It has been some time since I read dust of dreams. My copy has gone MIA, and im finding myself a bit lost on all the intricacies.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen or had a link to a good summary of DoD? Ive been looking for one to no avail.

Thanks
We woke up one morning, and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of death, I open up my wallet
And it's full of blood

#2 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:56 AM

Sure someone can do it better than me.

But it is mainly a setup for TCG. The bonehunters are doing a big reading and then gets ready to march into the wastelands. Icarium is walking gods know where with 6-7 ghosts stuck in his head.

Hmm, what else...Errastas, Knuckles and kil are setting things up for a return to the old days in which they were dominant and blood flowed like rivers down their throats.

The barghest are there as well, united under tool. However, he lacks the bloodlust to keep them united, so they eventually split up and even mutiny occurs. Ironically, all of this is made irrelevant as draconus finally unveils himself, bringing down his avatar or whatever, while killing off a bucket load of barghest and who knows what else.

Before the wastelands the bonehunters are looking good, however they have an unfortunately runin with the nakruk who wipes the floor with them. How many who survives is not revealed until TCG.

Luckily stormy and gesler takes up the mantle of becoming shield anvil and mortal sword to the long-tailed lizzies, apperently using innovative strategems and turns the battle around, clearing the nakruk. Ofc, it helped to have a powered up sinn who takes down floating dragon castles left and right. Powered up on the new warrens made by the blood flowing from icarium. Cannot remember if icarium does anything more or if the rest is revealed in TCG.

this is how a 3 am resume of DoD looks like. Enjoy!

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:53 AM

Tavore and the Bonehunters hang out in Leth with Tehol and company. Many ominous signs and portents happen, most of which piss off the Errant who goes clear into the Bag Guy zone. Ublala punches him in the skull for this.

The Bonehunters all doubt Tavore but follow her anyways. Lostara, Sinter, Kisswhere, Koryk, Blistig, Ruthan Gudd, Banaschar, Quick Ben and Fiddler all have issues. Tavore reveals her Master Plan to free the CG. The Bonehunters march off into the desert towards Kolanse where the CG is supposed to be chained. Brys comes along with a legion of Letherii for fun. Off they go.

In a moment of awesome, Hedge, not dead, recruits a bunch of Letherii to be his own company of 'Bridgeburners', complete with an alchemist who makes his own munitions. And fat whores. No really. This solidifies Hedge as the most awesome Bridgeburner ever except for Fiddler. No really.

New warrens show up. Sinn, Grub, Bent and Roach go explore them. Sinn is losing her shit.

The last K'Chain Che'malle Matron has the bright idea that linking her lizards to humans is the only way to survive. She sends her human Destriant Kalyth along with the two Kchain from RG and the lizard assassin Gu'rull to find a Sheild Anvil and Mortal Sword. K'chain Nah'ruk chase them. Kalyth makes friends with the dead Bridgeburners who have replaced Hood. Whiskeyjack sends in the last Jaghut army (all 14 of them) to help out. This goes badly for the Nah'ruk.

The Khundryl hang out in a lovely place with friendly merchants looking to rip them off. This goes badly for the merchants when the Khundryl go to war. Hilarity ensues. Gall is gay and his pregnant wife is pregnant.

The Grey Helms Perish hang out in a lovely place with friendly politicians looking to rip them off and/or kill them. This goes badly for the politicians when the Perish go to war. Hilarity ensues and Krughava has one of the best straight lines in the series. Tanakalian is a complete jerk and Krughava really really wants to punch him in the brains.

The Bargast hang out in a lovely place that isn't where the Khundryl or the Perish are. Bored they mostly start shit and wars. Tool proves to be a lousy leader. He kills himself to save his worse enemies. Smooth move. Hetan's rivals take this opportunity to do awful things to her and eventually she dies in possibly the most depressing storyline in the series.

Most of the Barghast go to war. Draconus picks this moment to show up and tell everyone to chill out. They do. Fatally.

The Bolkado Queen sends one of her daughters to see wtf is happening in Kolanse. The daughter and her sidekick recruit Shurq Ellale and go sailing. Hilarity at sea ensues. Queeny also recruits those turtle shell wearing Barghast as mercenaries and they march off to meet the Perish and get drunk together.

A bunch of kids flee Kolanse and make their way through the desert, mostly dying. They are pursued by what seem to be Forkrul Assail who use Mokra. One of the kids, Badalle, turns out to be a Mokra High Mage and uses slam poetry to fuck their shit up. No really.

Olar Ethil, in a completely jerk move, forces Toc the Deader to serve her and bring Tool back as a T'lan Imass. Tool, pissed, works his First Sword Mojo and raises a bunch of Imass and drags them along with him. Eventually they wipe out the surviving Barghast. I did say he was pissed.

The Errant summons the other Elder Gods but only Kila and Sech feel like playing. They mostly chuckle in evil fashion and wax nostalgic about the old days where everyone sent them blood. Nice people. Mael tells them all to stick it.

Icarium wanders around brainless and confused until he finds an empty Che'malle city. In the course of fixing it he more or less fixes his brain. Sort of. There's some stuff with Letherii souls that happens.

Silchas and Rud; Setoc, Torrent and Cafal; Telorast and Curdle; Mappo, Gruntle and the TTG; Draconus and Ublala, all wander around and do stuff, some of which may be important.

Twilight and the Watch lead their Shake people back to Kharakasomething the Tiste Andii home city. No one is really happy to be there but the Watch gets a cool sword. Sandy and Withal show up.

The Bonehunters run into an army of Kchain Nahruk. This goes extremely badly for the Bonehunters, Letherii, Khundryl and slightly badly for the Nah'ruk. People die, things get sploded. So does Quick Ben, maybe. The marines and heavies break open a can of awesome buying time for the rest of the army to retreat.

Gurull recruits Stormy and Gesler to be the Kchain Chemalle's Sheild Anvil and Mortal Sword. They take command and Kick. Nah'ruck. Ass. But almost lose except that Icarium shows up piloting a whole frikkin K'chain dragon city, Sinn and Grub show up and Bent eats Nah'ruk face. This sequence is even more awesome than you think it is. The Nah'ruk retreat and everyone goes to find what's left of Tavore's army.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:59 AM

decent summery apart from

View PostAbyss, on 02 April 2011 - 05:53 AM, said:

Most of the Barghast go to war with the Bolkado. Draconus picks this moment to show up and tell everyone to chill out. They do. Fatally.

the barghast go to was with a different tribe in the wastelands, the akryni or something, not the Bolkado
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:16 AM

View PostRoldom, on 03 April 2011 - 01:59 AM, said:

decent summery apart from

View PostAbyss, on 02 April 2011 - 05:53 AM, said:

Most of the Barghast go to war with the Bolkado. Draconus picks this moment to show up and tell everyone to chill out. They do. Fatally.

the barghast go to was with a different tribe in the wastelands, the akryni or something, not the Bolkado

Corrected. Updated.

#6 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Wasn't the reveal of Tavore's master plan at the beginning of TCG? I processed it as new information at the time, but I may just have forgotten it from DoD.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 07 April 2011 - 04:46 PM, said:

Wasn't the reveal of Tavore's master plan at the beginning of TCG? I processed it as new information at the time, but I may just have forgotten it from DoD.

She tells her 'inner circle' this at a meeting in Leth before they depart.

#8 User is offline   UnknownSoldier 

• Recruit

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

Thanks a million for this recap. ;)

Sat down 15 minutes ago for my first read-through of TCG, realizing I no longer remembered the finer points of what happened in DoD. Lo' and behold someone was in the same boat as me :D

#9 User is offline   Punchy Pete 

• Assassin

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:52 PM

View PostUnknownSoldier, on 07 April 2011 - 05:45 PM, said:

Thanks a million for this recap. :D

Sat down 15 minutes ago for my first read-through of TCG, realizing I no longer remembered the finer points of what happened in DoD. Lo' and behold someone was in the same boat as me :p

Agreed!!! It's been a year since I read DoD, and I couldn't remember it. The books are so intense with so many different plot lines, and the memory isn't what it used to be. Thanks!

#10 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:37 AM

Thanks Abyss, that was a good recap.
However, I have some questions about certain specifics, after reading the first two chapters of TCG.

Who was Tulas Shorn? He appeared for a quick scene, and I remember that name, I just can't remember what he did before.
Also, who was Ralata, and what happened with her? What event stirred her towards thoughts of vengeance again? She's the one who, by the end of DoD, is hanging out with Draconus and Ublala Pung.

Also, there's another major detail in DoD, if I recall correctly, that you left out. (I also can't remember if we learn this before DoD). We find out Olar Ethil is some big Elder God who existed well before the Imass, but lived among them, and stirred them into the ritual, and she's hated for this, I think. Torrent, like a badass, also knocks her on her ass, not knowing that he just lay the smackdown on an elder god.

#11 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:00 AM

A little sketchy, but Tulas Shorn is an undead Tiste Edur Soletaken dragon. If you recall in TTH, there's a moment where the army of the dead is still heading off somewhere, and Hood is sending Cartographer out into the world with the Trygalle folks, and dead dragons start popping out of the ground all around everyone. One of them manages to actually escape into the mortal world, and that is Tulas Shorn. He is creator of the Hounds of Shadow, and also has some encountered on Genebackis with I think Karsa and co. and then ST/Cots. As far as I remember.

Ralata is that Barghast woman who was taking the Skincuts (young female warriors in training, I think) and most of them get slaughtered by Shigal Assassin. She was trying to be the voice of reason there. She's seeking revenge on the Shigal for killing all the Skincuts.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   ReAVeR_ZA 

• Conquest
  • Interests:Pretty much anything geek related

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

Also forgot to mention that Captain Ruthan Gudd aka Mr Deus Ex Machina, is actually some kinda special being as when the Bonehunters are about to be overrun, he charges them down single-handedly while doing the best damn Stormrider cosplay you've ever seen.

#13 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

@Abyss: Have you done summaries for the other books? Because you should.

#14 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

View Postworrywort, on 11 April 2011 - 06:00 AM, said:

A little sketchy, but Tulas Shorn is an undead Tiste Edur Soletaken dragon. If you recall in TTH, there's a moment where the army of the dead is still heading off somewhere, and Hood is sending Cartographer out into the world with the Trygalle folks, and dead dragons start popping out of the ground all around everyone. One of them manages to actually escape into the mortal world, and that is Tulas Shorn. He is creator of the Hounds of Shadow, and also has some encountered on Genebackis with I think Karsa and co. and then ST/Cots. As far as I remember.

Ralata is that Barghast woman who was taking the Skincuts (young female warriors in training, I think) and most of them get slaughtered by Shigal Assassin. She was trying to be the voice of reason there. She's seeking revenge on the Shigal for killing all the Skincuts.

Thanks!

Is Tulas Shorn also the dragon that had a long talk with Kallor about death and Jaghut armies, or was that another dragon?

#15 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:53 PM

When I read it, and then when I re-read it, I thought it was him. But some subsequent discussion (in TCG forum, but non-spoilery for that book) gave me some pause in that. There is at least some evidence -- like that dragon's mention of fighting and falling in the Jaghut war on death -- that it might not be Tulas Shorn. I still think it's him, but I'm less sure of it than I used to be.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users