Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diplomacy: Malazan Discussion and development

#1 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

So I don't want to take up the Diplomacy 8 topic too much, in case it gets going as a game... here we shall discuss making a Malazan variant for Realpolitik.

My original idea was using Lether and surrounding areas, but the initial support was for something set in Seven Cities. I made a shiny map of Seven Cities for funs, but I'm not sure I actually thing it's great for diplomacy, geographically. It could be made to work, but I'm not entirely convinced. Here is said map to aid discussions:

Attached File  Seven Cities Map.png (132.88K)
Number of downloads: 3

Obviously this is only with the major cities on it, so we can chop and change a bit without much trouble.

I will do a Lether map too and we can see which we think is better.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#2 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

The Lether map is taking a lot longer! But I think you can see that it is a bit better set up for Diplomacy - there are plenty of possible command centres, and even more regions...

Attached File  Lether Map.png (224.54K)
Number of downloads: 0
The main problem I see with this map is Bluerose. Clearly having the entire thing surrounded by mountains and no sea access limits the area, militarily :rolleyes: we could just make the mountains passable, or get rid of some of them I suppose. Maybe make it take an extra turn to get through them by adding very thin regions in the middle of the ranges...

This post has been edited by caladanbrood: 22 March 2011 - 01:47 PM

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#3 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

I think you'll need a great (perhaps: too) many sea-zones to make a Lether map playable, or you're into Black Sea stand-offs on a LOT of places, which will limit the fun somewhat.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#4 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, I was thinking at least 5 regions for the Dracons Sea all the way up to Kryn, for example.

edit: And another for the islands at it's mouth, much in the same way there was for our massive Asian-variant game in the region I can't remember the name of, that was land and sea at the same time.

This post has been edited by caladanbrood: 22 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

#5 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:08 AM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 22 March 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Yeah, I was thinking at least 5 regions for the Dracons Sea all the way up to Kryn, for example.

edit: And another for the islands at it's mouth, much in the same way there was for our massive Asian-variant game in the region I can't remember the name of, that was land and sea at the same time.

Philippines?

I'm thinking with Bluerose it'd be best to make a few gaps in the mountains where armies can pass without being impeded. Maybe have three 'passes', one in the west, one in the south at that city right next to the mountain range, and one in the east over near Drene.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users