Malazan Empire: Shannara Trilogies - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shannara Trilogies There's a lot of them

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:26 AM

View PostMcLovin, on 22 May 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

So, I have dipped my toes into the HERITAGE quad with SCIONS OF SHANNARA. Not bad, actually, although IMO
Spoiler

Indeed for a novel that fires on a lot of good pistons, that was a mis-step I noticed as well. Still SCIONS is my fave of the four volumes...with the exception that the last of them has the best payoff.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

You're right about the finale, but I like the two middle books best...out of anything he's written, actually, Druid and Elf Queen are 1 and 2 on my list. Pe Ell is a personal favorite character.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

On to DRUID OF SHANNARA.

Good first few chapters, except how Walker Boh is handled.

Author-wise, Brooks should have figured out a different way to show us Walker's past other than a narrative summary. Show, don't tell.

The second is the inconsistency of Walker's character. I call this the "Star Wars" problem - you are forced to believe that an advanced being would act in a totally stupid way to keep the plot going. Namely, Walker is a genius and quasi-Druid of amazing power, BUT
Spoiler

OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#24 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

One of the early reasons I liked DRUID less than SCIONS...you'll come up against the other main reason later.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Well, I finished it.

DRUID is a step down from SCIONS.

The story is not bad, but it just seems random and grafted onto SCIONS.

That can actually be said for a lot of things in previous Shannara books too. Clearly Brooks is a write-first, integrate-later kinda guy.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#26 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen,
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

saw the other day a trilogy pack of Brooks', the one with the Isle Witch, Jerle Shannara?
is it any good? 'cause i've been meaning to get atleast one trilogy of Brooks to add to my collection, as i don't want to spend for every trilogy of his, budget-wise not author related,
what trilogy is the best, and/or what is the best book of Brooks?

@Quick Tidal - i saw your review on the - Bearers of the Black Staff - though i haven't finished reading your entire review, i will read it later, but is this part of a trilogy or stand-alone, TY,
It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan
'Ippen shinde miru (want to try dying this once) ?' - Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

#27 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

It'd be weird to start that late in the series, IMO. And depending where you are, he's probably one of the most readily available fantasy authors in libraries, so you might not need to buy his stuff at all.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen,
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

View Postworrywort, on 11 June 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

It'd be weird to start that late in the series, IMO. And depending where you are, he's probably one of the most readily available fantasy authors in libraries, so you might not need to buy his stuff at all.

its ok, just wanted to add one trilogy of his to my collection, then read the rest in libraries or not, its just that i've heard and saw his books, but never had the desire to before and now i want to try atleast one trilogy
as i'm expanding my own library, and i'm highlighting stuff i want to add in there, as i mentioned in another thread - the Black Co, Rothfuss' trilogy, the Hunger Games, will be completing WoT series, GRRM ASoIaF,
and many more that i've been curious/interested as i browse this forums,
It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan
'Ippen shinde miru (want to try dying this once) ?' - Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

#29 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Into ELF QUEEN OF SHANNARA.

"These aren't the Elves you're looking for."

:)

#30 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

So, on a whim, I re-read SWORD. And you know what? For all its flaws, I really enjoyed it.

#31 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

Did not care for Sword. However, I just started Elfstones in anticipation of the supposed coming TV series, and I have to admit that the first couple of chapters introduce some pretty badass-sounding villains. Brooks has a way with words when describing characters, I'll give him that.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostKruppe, on 09 February 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Did not care for Sword. However, I just started Elfstones in anticipation of the supposed coming TV series, and I have to admit that the first couple of chapters introduce some pretty badass-sounding villains. Brooks has a way with words when describing characters, I'll give him that.

Agreed. I really enjoyed the baddies in ELFSTONES and while Brooks has some fun with his evil in subsequent work, those always remained my favorite ones he ever created.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#33 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

Just a note, while I re-read ELFSTONES to refresh myself...was on Brooks site and learned that Morrowindl (the Elf island from ELF-QUEEN) is supposed to be Hawaii.

I always found it hard to deal with how Morrowindl was written as I couldn't picture elves and jungle...but knowing it's Hawaii makes it much easier as I was actually visualize it better.

#TheMoreYouKnow

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostBriar King, on 16 July 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

What do you mean? Elves = Trees.

I thought you were talking about TES Morrowind for a sec there!

Normally when I think of Elves, it's usually deciduous forests. Like the Northwest, you know? Pine trees and whatnot...Not tropical...which was the stumbling block for me about Morrowindl.

But Hawaii is really fresh in my mind as a setting from LOST, so now it's easy and makes me want to re-read ELF-QUEEN.

#35 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Second discovery upon an ELFSTONES re-read.

spoilered just in case:

Spoiler

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 August 2023 - 01:16 PM

THREADSURRECTION!

Re-reading Shannara to catch up and finish the series, SCIONS was great, and I rolled right into DRUID OF SHANNARA and finished it!

It's interesting to read that one now VS when I read it originally and know Eldwist is a fallen city from our world preserved in stone so it's lasted thousands of years, I picked up on WAY more stuff (Yeah, I don't think I really got that the first time I read it)...and funnily enough I THINK Chicago is the wrong city to assume it is....because the denouement in that one happens in what is clearly a sports DOME next to much taller buildings...so you know what? I think it's Toronto now, and the 3rd act happens in the Skydome...there are even descriptions of almost faded away statues in recesses high above the ground sticking out of the dome....we have those. Wrigley field is not only not a dome, it's far from any really tall buildings. The argument could be made for it being Manhattan, and the dome is Madison Square Gardens...but that's a LOT further for the crew to have walked (but again, the terrain all apparently changed a LOT in the Great Wars and climate shift...so it's also possible.) I'd just say that Chicago is way off the mark.

EDIT: Yeah, I think it's Manhattan now based on the attention I paid to descriptions. It's a dome surrounded by buildings that are tall enough to see the top of the dome, MSG in NYC has this, and if the Tiderace is the Atlantic and it ate up the Great Lakes and the area around NYC, then I could see how the Manhattan could become the described stone city in a peninsula at the end of a long isthmus. There is also the fact that they walk through the mountains to get there and then the valley with the monstrous bear (Kodan) prior to the Isthmus crossing. Considering the Appalachians are right near there, if the climate/Demon Wars shifted the topography and ground up places and shoved others together, I could easily see the Appalchians being the Charnel Mountains and perhaps this means they didn't have to walk as far as it seems? There are other things too, at one point Horner Dees and Pe Ell come across (in their hunt for the Creeper that the stone king sends out to sweep the city clean every night) come across a sprawling park, with a pond and a fountain that has an angel statue atop it...that's probably Bethesda Park in Central Park proper...a mere 45min walk from MSG. The subways, are also indicative of NYC. The upheaval of the earth probably made most of NYC sink beneath the waves but left a decent portion exposed for the Stone King to freeze into stone, and that upheaval could have created the Isthmus that it exists at the end of.

Love that final confrontation with the Stone King too, it's really well done.

There's some predictable stuff, like knowing that
Spoiler
), but honestly it didn't bother me one bit, Brooks is a spellbinding storyteller even with the predictable stuff I find.

And on into ELF QUEEN!

Oh and in ELF QUEEN, I picture Tiger Ty as being played by Toby Jones, and oh my god does the dialogue and cadence fit for how he talks! I also wonder at the volcano Killeshan...If the climate shift that occurred during the Great Wars really fucked up the landmasses as the rest of the books spell out, then I would wager that Killehsan is not an existing Hawaii island volcano like Kīlauea, or Monaloa...but honestly, Kīlauea DOES fit into the area where Killeshan is located on the map of Morrowindl....so it could be that one still....BUT both Kīlauea and Monaloa are known to erupt ever 2-3 years so it would be weird for it to have lain dormant for the 100 or so years Killeshan did when the elves lived there. I dunno.

I'm gonna be honest, I MAY roll on into THE VOYAGE books after TALISMANS if things keep going as they are. I'm enjoying the shit out of this re-read. It's where I stopped reading the post-HERITAGE books, not out of some dislike, it was because the final book of that series MORGAWR was not out yet when I finished the second one, so I fell off the series until he started the gap filling prequel books, and never retuned to the post JOURNEY books....all of which I own and are in the TRP, hence my re-read and want to push to the end.

Oh oh oh...and knowing that Brooks didn't originally intend for the Word & Void books to be Shannara's pre-history, I'd love to know when that decision came as I THINK it must have been before Heritage as The Word is mentioned multiple times in DRUID as having been the thing that gave the King of the Silver River and other creatures of Faerie their power...But that was in like 1991 and RUNNING WITH THE DEMON didn't come out till 1997, and the first GENESIS book (ARMAGEDDON'S CHILDREN) didn't come out till like 2006. It's really interesting none the less.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 August 2023 - 01:23 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users