Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WhiskeyJack? what a random name

#1 User is offline   Jingospice 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

I was researching the Canadian Jay (or Gray Jay) for an ethology class and discovered that another name for the bird is the Whiskey Jack. I was obviously astounded that the name had a legitimate origin in the real world, and with SE being Canadian I figured it was not an accident. I looked into the origin of the name and apparently it is an Algonquin word (Wisakedjak) that has been anglicized so that it can be pronounced more easily. Apparently, Wisakedjak is portrayed as an Algonquin trickster god who was responsible for destroying the earth in a flood, and recreated the current world with magic.
I just thought I'd post this for those who (like me) didn't get the Whiskeyjack reference and thought that it was an extremely random (though admittedly badass) name.

#2 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

What's with people randomly posting threads in the New Members section lately?

It's a good info for those who haven't figured it out yet, but I don't think this belongs here. Can someone move it?

MODGOD NOTICE OF THREAD RELOCATION TO GOTM FORUM. WITH STYLE.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 15 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#3 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

View PostJingospice, on 14 March 2011 - 08:38 PM, said:

I was researching the Canadian Jay (or Gray Jay) for an ethology class and discovered that another name for the bird is the Whiskey Jack. I was obviously astounded that the name had a legitimate origin in the real world, and with SE being Canadian I figured it was not an accident. I looked into the origin of the name and apparently it is an Algonquin word (Wisakedjak) that has been anglicized so that it can be pronounced more easily. Apparently, Wisakedjak is portrayed as an Algonquin trickster god who was responsible for destroying the earth in a flood, and recreated the current world with magic.
I just thought I'd post this for those who (like me) didn't get the Whiskeyjack reference and thought that it was an extremely random (though admittedly badass) name.

I always thought that he named it after Jack Daniels Whiskey, but your explanation makes more sense :-)

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

I always thought that he named it after Jack Daniels Whiskey, but your explanation makes more sense :-)

#5 User is offline   miriya 

• Kiss where?

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

I read Neil Gaiman's American Gods not so long before MBotF (which served as both an awesome novel and a way to brush up on all those deities both mainstream and folk you'd heard about and forgotten), so the first I read read his name I kept trying to make the trickster god reference. The 'bird that steals' name given by the tribal folks that meet up with Karsa makes much more sense with the Canadian Jay thing, which I admit I didn't realize until I got to this forum.

SE is obviously clever in many ways.

#6 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

View Postmiriya, on 15 March 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

I read Neil Gaiman's American Gods not so long before MBotF (which served as both an awesome novel and a way to brush up on all those deities both mainstream and folk you'd heard about and forgotten), so the first I read read his name I kept trying to make the trickster god reference.

Yeah. I read American Gods a couple of years after starting the series (2003 was my Year of Gaiman :)) but that was the first place I realised the name wasn't just made up from scratch.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

i googled it shortly after i started GotM for the first time and found the bird ref.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

MODGOD NOTICE OF REFERENCE TO CHARACTER ONLY APPEARING IN LATER BOOKS DELETED.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 16 March 2011 - 05:31 PM

I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#9 User is offline   MoK3 

• Recruit
  • Interests:fishing...fishing...fishing and reading
  • blargh!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:23 AM

Methinks you should read on my friend...I guess being from northern B.C Canada i take it for granted that everyone knows what a Whiskey Jack is. Haha that name suits him perfectly

#10 User is offline   Osserc - Lord of the Sky 

• Champion of High House Light
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, dammit!

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

A Whiskeyjack is a type of Finch in North America. Quite nimble and quick :)
"The red ink had been watered down. He painted wash on the map, covering areas now held by the Malazan Empire. Fully one half of the map...the north half...was red. Baruk jumped, his right forearm jerking out and knocking over the inkwell. The red ink poured across his map. Cursing, Baruk sat back. His eyes widened as he watched the spreading stain over Darujhistan and continue south to Catlin..."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users