Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Big Bang Theory

#1 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

I started watching this a few weeks ago on dvd, and just finished series 2. It's fast becoming one of my favourite shows. I enjoy the characters, the humour and the nerdy references. Also, being a socially awkward nerd I can relate.

On Starwars:
Sheldon: I am not going to watch the Clone Wars TV series until I've seen the Clone Wars movie. I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended.

On spoilers:
Stuart: Here Sheldon. I pulled the new Hellboy for you. It's mind-blowing.
Sheldon: Excuse me! Spoiler alert!
Stuart: What? I didn't spoil anything.
Sheldon: You told me it's mind-blowing, so my mind is going into it pre-blown. Once a mind is pre-blown, it cannot be re-blown.
Stuart: I'm sorry.
Sheldon: Said the Grinch to Christmas

On social net-working:
Leonard: We need to widen our circle.
Sheldon: I have a very wide circle. I have 212 friends on myspace.
Leonard: Yes, and you've never met one of them.
Sheldon: That's the beauty of it.

On friendship:
Penny: What about Howard and Raj, how did [Sheldon] become friends with them?
Leonard: I don't know...how do carbon atoms form a benzene ring? Proximity and valence electrons.
Penny: Well yeah sure, when you put it that way.

This post has been edited by Bombur: 12 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

#2 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

One of my favorite shows. So funny and so very smart.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

Is this the show where a bunch of nerds is living across the hall from a couple of bimbos? I like that one, the geek factor is amazing,

#4 User is offline   KallorsUnusedMoisturiser 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

It's really excellent, I got hooked on it when I picked up the DVDs too.

One of the best bits:

Sheldon: Ah Penny, it's as if the Cheesecake Factory is run by witches.
Penny: Ah Sheldon, it's as if you don't think I'll punch you.

Makes me laugh every time.
"You better watch out pal, I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!"
"You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?"
"....No!"

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

Big Bang is probably my second fave show after DOCTOR WHO, I have 3 seasons on DVD and have watched most of season 4 on TV. The episodes have great re-watchability, and when there is nothing good on I pop in my DVD's.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 March 2011 - 01:03 PM, said:

The episodes have great re-watchability, and when there is nothing good on I pop in my DVD's.

this is what I and my flatmates have been doing recently.

#7 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:24 PM

Suprised this thread is so short.

Anyway I used to love this show but I feel its being going downhill for a while. Than this last week they delivered one of the worst episdoes I have ever seen from it or any show in a while. It was so smug, so self congratulatory and so unfunny that I was puzzled. Than I thought their must be some significance too it and I find out sure enough that it was their 200th episode. Am I selfish for thinking that a show can congratulate itself and its cast in private and stick to entertaining people as its a primary focus? Was I alone in feeling this awkwardness?

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

Somebody once pointed out how hollow the show feels, when you start paying attention to the way the actors pause after their bad jokes, for the canned laughter. Sort of ruined the show for me.

#9 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:07 AM

View PostAptorian, on 12 March 2011 - 06:02 PM, said:

Is this the show where a bunch of nerds is living across the hall from a couple of bimbos? I like that one, the geek factor is amazing,

I tried watching it and never tried again. The whole 'nerds gonna virgin' trope is dead and the jokes were deader.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:24 AM

I'm pretty sure nerds and bimbos will always exist in one form or another.

#11 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:31 AM

I only ever watched the finale, because I wanted to know why it was on for 12 years. The two love bird nerds win the Nobel prize in physics for super asymmetry and then are all frazzled about going and the nerdette is causing much frustration over looking better in a dress and the main nerd's speech is oodles of pages long and will probably take hours to give, all the other nerd friends are asked to attend.... and yeah, it was a bunch of contrived, lame jokes. So, I never got an answer to why it lasted for 12 years.

The opening song, which I never heard before, is sort of catchy though. I can't stand Barenaked Ladies, but here they are performing it on Colbert. Are they the originators?

#12 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:09 PM

First four seasons were fun!

I know lots of people who are scientists like me and they find the show offensive but I never found it so. The characters are charictures. Maybe some people are like Sheldon (and over the years people have told me I am too) but really the character's in the show are too over the top. Its just good fun. I just don't think the premise really had the legs for 12 seasons. Sheldon went form a super genius and nerd who struggled to understand basic human behaviours to a married man capable of giving a noble prize acceptance speech in front of audience of thousands with no problems. The core of his character changed drastically.

I hope now we will get some fresh blood in the comedy space.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:31 PM

View PostCause, on 04 June 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

I know lots of people who are scientists like me and they find the show offensive but I never found it so. The characters are charictures. Maybe some people are like Sheldon (and over the years people have told me I am too) but really the character's in the show are too over the top. Its just good fun. I just don't think the premise really had the legs for 12 seasons. Sheldon went form a super genius and nerd who struggled to understand basic human behaviours to a married man capable of giving a noble prize acceptance speech in front of audience of thousands with no problems. The core of his character changed drastically.

Agreed. It's weird how most other multi-camera sitcoms are exactly this type of caricature of characters (FRIENDS: the dizzy, pretty Gen-Xers with seemingly unending money living largely problem-free lives in NYC for example) and no one ever batted an eye...but for some reason the intentional caricatures on BBT got never-endingly maligned by people or critics for doing exactly what all these shows do. Exacerbate stereotypes to the nth degree for humour. This was not remotely new, but for some reason everyone complained about it...

Also I agree with Apt, the canned laughter (which is SUCH a throwback these days) is REALLY distracting once you notice it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#14 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

Don't google 'Big Bang Theory without laughter' for example videos; not because there are none - there are tons which amply demonstrate its terriblosity - but because it's a shit show and your poor eyes deserve better
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#15 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 June 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 04 June 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

Agreed. It's weird how most other multi-camera sitcoms are exactly this type of caricature of characters (FRIENDS: the dizzy, pretty Gen-Xers with seemingly unending money living largely problem-free lives in NYC for example) and no one ever batted an eye...but for some reason the intentional caricatures on BBT got never-endingly maligned by people or critics for doing exactly what all these shows do. Exacerbate stereotypes to the nth degree for humour. This was not remotely new, but for some reason everyone complained about it...

Also I agree with Apt, the canned laughter (which is SUCH a throwback these days) is REALLY distracting once you notice it.

Yep. I enjoyed the heck out of the first few seasons. Hung on for a few cause the wife liked it, then said no more.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#16 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:12 PM

Ok, watched the second episode the series aired (found it when flipping around the channels). I wanted to see if there was anything about the show so early in its run that would resonate with me and illustrate why it had such longevity. Nope, still the same forced nerd humor that I find pretentious and uncomfortable to watch. I will say there were some slight chuckle moments - the "grab a napkin homie, you've been served" line comes to mind. But yeah, on the whole, just not for me. A question for you dummies who love this show - the elevator is broken so early on (from this 2nd episode). I believe in the finale it finally becomes operational. Is it a running gag that the elevator in their apartment building is always broken?

#17 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:42 AM

Yes

Spoiler

I watch it flicking through sometimes, it's amusing in places but not great.
I don't think a sitcom will land as many Jokes consistently as friends did for a long time

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users