Malazan Empire: Silven's Alera Thread - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Silven's Alera Thread Spoilers from Furies to Fury.

#21 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:34 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 March 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 08 March 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

Just about to start Captain's Fury, these books are getting devoured and especially with the ending of the 3rd... Ohhh baby I cannot wait!

Spoiler

Have to agree

Spoiler

Brilliant!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

View Postchamp, on 09 March 2011 - 11:34 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 March 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 08 March 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

Just about to start Captain's Fury, these books are getting devoured and especially with the ending of the 3rd... Ohhh baby I cannot wait!

Spoiler

Have to agree

Spoiler

Brilliant!

Just you wait. There is a moment in the 5th book that made my jaw drop on the floor and shatter.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

one of my favorite things about this series is how Tavi comes up with some seriously original ideas due to his starting circumstances. I loved these books so much i think i might do a reread of the whole series, but i'm just after getting a load of moorcock's stuff and i'm currently tracking down Jack Vance series too, so i don't really know. and i have an exam on monday that tCG and A wise mans fear have made quite tricky due to the fact that instead of studying i was reading these two...

#24 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:38 AM

haven't forgotten this, just taking longer to chew through tCG than I woulda liked. I should have known better than to try to start it while apartment hunting and then actually moving. ;)
Anyways I hope to be back to this within about a week.

#25 User is offline   champ 

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

100 pages into book 5 and yet again - shit is hitting the fan... typical Butcher writing to get you hooked into the story - going to be gutted when I run out of Alera books... Top read!

Anyone know if he plans to continue writing in the world?

Tehol said:

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

View Postchamp, on 21 March 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

100 pages into book 5 and yet again - shit is hitting the fan... typical Butcher writing to get you hooked into the story - going to be gutted when I run out of Alera books... Top read!

There was talk about after he finishes Dresden he would return to a more Steampunky Alera about 500 years later. He said it would be for a while, but that he would likely return to it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

I know he also plans to write a BIG epic, cast-of-thousands series some day.

#28 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:02 AM

And BAM! I'm back into the swing of things. I absolutely hate it when real life intrudes on my reading time.

Anyways, I'm about half way through book two now. Just finished the chapter that featured the impromptu street duel after the big Kalare Ball. I must agree with everything I'd heard about the series though. Furies of Calderon really was like a prequel.

#29 User is offline   champ 

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 March 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 21 March 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

There was talk about after he finishes Dresden he would return to a more Steampunky Alera about 500 years later. He said it would be for a while, but that he would likely return to it.

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 21 March 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

I know he also plans to write a BIG epic, cast-of-thousands series some day.

The sequel to Codex as his big epic - now that would rock! Yes please! =D

Finished the final book last night and cannot remember the last time I devoured 6 books that quick. Awesome!

Butcher is easily my 2nd favourite author now after SE, his writing just grips you into the story and refuses to release you...

Some of the situations he get's his characters into left me bewildered with the constant question - how the hell are they going to get out of this...

If you loved Dresden, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why you will dislike Codex...

Simply put... Dresden fans... Read this!

Tehol said:

#30 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:49 AM

Finished Academ's Fury tonight just to jump straight into Cursor's Fury. I don't think I'm going to even attempt to pick up anything else until I've chewed through the rest of this series. The only complaint I have so far is the farmboy trope. Really? Did we need yet another fantasy series revolving around a young boy from his "uncle and aunts" farm growing up to be the heir to the kingdom? At least there is definitely enough going on past that to keep the series at the top of my list.

Must say that as of now I find myself almost jumping for joy every time I get a Fidelias point of view. I absolutely love the traitor. I suspect it has to do with how cynical he tends to be.

#31 User is offline   Held 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Epic world building fantasy...SE the best.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:44 AM

I just finished the whole Codex Alera series and will likely read again in a couple of days. It is awesome to be able to read a whole series back to back with no long waits. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this epic world. Butcher doesn't develop as many characters in depth as Erickson but his magic systems are mind blowing, way better than Erickson. SE is my tip top fave author but Butcher is a strong second. His Dresdon series is a good read and not too deep, but I like Codex Alera way better. As previously mentioned by another poster...I would skip ahead sometimes just to see how the character was going to deal with some seemingly impossible situation as I just knew it would be a mind blowing creative solution.

I am keeping this spoler free but I am still wondering what she "A" meant when she said she would be around for future generations? Is she in the genes?

Don't waste anytime wondering if you should read Codex Alera. It is a gripping, emotionally draining, sobbing, laughing and scary as hell good read! I hope Butcher gives us more of this world in the future.

“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” --Paul Sweeney

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

To me Codex Alera is Butcher stretching his wings to their full span. Dresden is awesome, fun and badass in equal measures and I absolutely LOVE that series....but I actually think that Alera is his more accomplished work if I am being totally honest. There is no first person POV and the detail is significantly larger, as is the magic system. As a whole the six books are probably my second fave fantasy series after Malazan, trumping ASOIAF into 3rd place actually. There is just something about it that rules me.

#33 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

I can't deny it. I think I lot of it had to do with Tavi's ingenuity. I think it was the perfect CG follow up to me.

#34 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

I like how Butcher borrows like crazy, yet makes everything uniquely his own with flavour and context. Goes for both series. The Vorg even has Creep!

#35 User is offline   CussersForChristmas 

• Overpass Obliterator
  • Send me a message if you want to chat

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:17 AM

The canim are super cool. I like the idea of a race of wolfman barbarians.
No one steals from me. Not even a fish!

#36 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

And they make a change from the standard lizard or insect alien races in fantasy
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users