Malazan Empire: TCG Reading Tour - As in, what's an original question...? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TCG Reading Tour - As in, what's an original question...? For everyone who's been to readings/met him/read interviews before

#1 User is offline   Calmerwater 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

I've spent the last few nights reading old SE interviews and trying to think of original and interesting questions to ask - if I can pluck up the courage - so for those who've been to previous readings, can you remember any of the questions?!? I'll be going to Truro, last date of the tour, so potentially he'll have 'heard' them all by then.... and I wouldn't want to bore the fella!

I was thinking about asking whether he thinks his writing is post-modern (avoidance of usual fantasy tropes etc) - is that a bit naff? I've never been to a signing or reading before, so have no idea!!

Thanks!
Speak truth, grow still, until the water is clear between us.

#2 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

Just ask a question that you want answered and that you're interested in hearing the reply... Who cares if it sounds naff or stupid...

I find some people tend to think up the most ridiculous question just to sound intelligent and then they turn off at the reply...

This post has been edited by champooon: 24 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#3 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

View Postchampooon, on 24 February 2011 - 07:27 PM, said:

Just ask a question that you want answered and that you're interested in hearing the reply... Who cares if it sounds naff or stupid...

I find some people tend to think up the most ridiculous question just to sound intelligent and then they turn off at the reply...

Yeah don't be like these guys:

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 24 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

#4 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:03 PM

My friend went to the Leeds one, and someone asked whether SE had read the Black Company series. :facepalm:

What a waste of a question.

Thankfully my friend got his question in, and apparently went down well.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#5 User is offline   Calmerwater 

• Recruit

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

View PostCyphon88, on 24 February 2011 - 09:03 PM, said:

My friend went to the Leeds one, and someone asked whether SE had read the Black Company series. :facepalm:

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping to avoid tbh! So I'm interested in the questions which have been asked already on the tour. It's unlikely I'll be asking him anything ridiculously intelligent though - as I am still getting to grips with the series, and couldn't hope to come up with something like that!!! I just don't want to ask him something stoopid or that he's already been asked on the tour.

#6 User is offline   Daydreamer 

• Corporal

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

Oh dear, I was wondering exactly the same thing. Truro could be interesting. Hopefully some nice talkative people will come along since you're unlikely to get much out of me and my friend (I'll have read the series all of once. My friend will have read to MoI at most and both of us have a tendency to be tongue-tied). Maybe some inspiration will come over the weekend.

#7 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hah, I got a 'good questions' comment from SE when I got my TCG signed after the Q&A section in Manchester Posted Image. I do think any Q&A works best if questions follow on from what has gone before, so that the whole is more in the way of being a conversation, rather than a series of disjointed vignettes.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

Someone ask him what temperature Granfellen ale in a pewter tankard is properly served at!!!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Calmerwater 

• Recruit

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

Abyss, that is such an awesome question - I was going to take him a bottle of Saltoan White like the one I gave my brother a few years ago, so it would lead nicely on from that! Good thinking! Shall I ask about Quorls Milk too?!? lol!

ps Jitsukerr... what was your question???

#10 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

I asked him, after he'd finished reading the last poem (about the old man seeking 'the best in us'), to what extent that poem was autobiographical (where after finishing a long journey, he carries on seeking answers). His response was that, yes, to a large extent. Writing for him was a journey seeking after truth, and that after finishing the series, he'd rested in satisfaction for about 2 days before starting work again, setting out on a new journey.

After someone asked about making characters real, and someone else asked about the ending (and SE said he'd had the ending in mind from before writing GotM), I asked how he kept his characters on track to reach that ending, given that he'd said that for him his characters tended to make detours and come alive. He said (paraphrasing), by controlling the geography of their journeys, essentially.

I did ask another question, but can't actually remember it or the response.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users