Malazan Empire: Huh, spoilery bit forshadowed in DoD - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Huh, spoilery bit forshadowed in DoD Spoilery spoilers read at your own risk Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

So I'm on my re-read of DoD and I just ran across this little tidbit...

Quick Ben rubbed vigorously at his face, an d then said, 'The Crippled God came down in pieces. Everyone knows that. Most of him, it's said, fell on Korel, which is what gave that continent its other name: Fist. ...'

In retrospect, the Lady being shards of tCG seems so damn obvious. However the quote was mixed in with the HUGE revelation that the true enemy was a gathering of FA. Had anyone else remembered this and wondered why he seemed so quiet on that continent before the big reveal?

#2 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

I thought it introduced quite nicely the setting of Stonewielder, making it not come out of the blue completely.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#3 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

Was the Lady shards of the Crippled God, or did she simply make use of the shards?

If it's the second option, then what the hell was she? For that matter, what exactly were the storm-riders? Some sort of Liosanie thingies? Gah.
:(

#4 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:46 AM

You know, I'm still not sure if she WAS the shards, or just used them for power. It really could have leaned either way. But the foreshadowing of the shards themselves were put in place. And now I feel stupid for missing it.

#5 User is offline   snake0026 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

Though the shore breeze was strong, a repulsive stench as of rotting flesh struck Temal...
The figure was gigantic, out of all proportion, twice the height of a Jaghut or other Elders he'd heard talk of, such as the Toblakai or Tarthenoe...
Yet its flesh was repulsive: a pale dead fish, mottled, pocked by rotting open sores. The fetor almost made Temal faint...
The broad bloodless lips stretched into a knowing smile, as if the being had read his thoughts. Yet the eyes remained empty of all expression, lifeless, dull, like the staring milky orbs of the dead...
The Goddess gestured with a gnarled, twisted hand to the block at her feet. "Take this most precious sarcophagus. Within rests the flesh of my flesh."

(paperback, pg 20-21)

While the description of her here suggests a possible resemblance, at least purely in terms of size, to the Thel Akai, my opinion is that that she is purely a manifestation of the Crippled God, or at least a manifestation of those three particular pieces of the CG (although that does not rule out the possibility that he perhaps possessed a Thel Akai, and in so doing corrupted it, for that particular encounter).

See this thread for a much more in depth discussion by members much more knowledgeable about these things than I.

This post has been edited by snake0026: 14 February 2011 - 08:27 AM

"But I saw you [Snake]…faced by Anomander [Mandy] himself. How did…"
"I escape? Well, I dazzled him with fancy words, edging ever closer, then used my ninja skills to strike like a cobra, knocking the sword [Spamnipur] away and drop-kicking him over the side before tumbling backwards, slaying another Piss'd Andii on the way."
Silence. Lots of silence. "Fine!" He shrugged and grinned, "Someone hit him in the face with a coin, and he cursed just long enough for me to get away." ~ Excerpt from Gardens of the Tea Spoon

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users