• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Dead Space Series Event Horizon vs Hell Raiser

#21 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

Yeap...realized after a topic reread that you are the reason I've been stomping the everloving shit out of every corpse in range.

I'm very worried about the bodybags though....you can't seem to stomp them enough.

And yes I realize how sick it is to repeatedly stomp on bodybags, but it sure as fuck ain't gonna stop me.

Nice that the main character at least has a "gunt" voice too...even if he ain't say too much, you still get the helmet-muffled "HURRRAAAAGH" when you're kicking the heads off corpses.

ooh....one other thing I really liked: the grappling animations. When you get grabbed by a monster and it starts back-raping you with its claws and you hammer the x key (on Playstation) to get out of its grip, then rock some sweet melee attack to knock it back. I just did that last night to one of the little baby things with the tentacles that spring out of its back. It got a hold of me and when I got out of its grip, it gets booted across the room. Awesome.

Question:

I saw earlier talk that the plasma cutter is the best weapon. Is the line gun any good or is it just a wide-spread version of the same thing? Should I bother wasting credits buying other weapons or will I find them as I go along? I'd rather save for suit upgrades and ammo replentishment really.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#22 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

The plasma cutter is an excellent weapon and is fully capable of taking you through the game on its own. The other weapons let you be a bit freer with money spent on plasma ammo and don't take much out of your budget, as long as you always keep one upgrade thing to unlock a door at any time.

Line Gun: Great for dealing with rushes and babies on the floor, the mine is good for swarms and laying traps for obvious vents/reloads after ambushes.
Pulse Rifle: One of the weaker guns for dealing with slashers and the other common enemies, has a TON of ammo for it around and some very effective uses on certain enemies. And if all else fails, stun lock.
Flamethrower: Crap. Even fully upgraded. One use for it that other weapons/methods do better.
Ripper: It's a spinning hover sawblade gun that also shoots them. I found it more of a novelty but other people have had a lot of fun with it. Fairly ammo-efficient if you keep it floating ahead.
Force Gun: Shotgun on space steroids. If you have a mob problem, couple of blasts and you don't any more. This replaced my line gun as soon as I got it. Excellent weapon, you will want ammo for it all the time.
Contact Beam: Tricky to use, excessively powerful but the charge up time means you have to predict rushes and get your shots off before they can hit you. I've seen a moderately upgraded one kill an enhanced brute* with one shot to the shoulder. Plus, if you buy one, keep it on you and never use/upgrade it you can sell the ammo for 1000 space dollars credits each, helping your money supply.

I basically stuck with plasma cutter/pulse rifle/force gun/contact beam by the end.

*If you've seen the Captain, you'll know what I mean by enhanced. I also hope you know what I mean by brute. Yeah, good luck with that.

Also you know the necromorphs who play dead on the ground? There are several enhanced ones doing the same throughout the game. One of them is actually, really, genuinely, dead. Have fun finding out which it is without ammo wastage/horrible maulings!
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#23 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

I played through the hardest available difficulty at the start (not Epic Tier 1 engineer cause that was locked) but I only used the plasma cutter. You can't go wrong with it, it is a fantastic weapon. I tried some of the other weapons on the next play through, but nothing was as good as the plasma cutter imo. Maybe have 1 other weapon as a backup, but as long as you have ammo and the plasma cutter you will be fine. And see Illy's description of other weapons, pretty accurate description (force gun!)

In the sequel, I did use every gun but plasma cutter was still the best.

#24 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

First thing I bought at store # 1 was the level 2 suit. I appreciate the extra inventory slots. The plasma cutter ammo is adding up. I kinda feel dumb for buying so much of it though, since it's becoming really plentiful now that there's a lot more bad guys frolicking around.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#25 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

I completed the first one last night, what a genuinely awesome game and great story line too.

I had the resolution up to 1920 x 1080 and graphics on high and it looks great still considering it came out in 2008.

Gonna start the 2nd one tonight...got them both dirt cheap on Steam about a year ago but not had chance to play them!!

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

Oh damn. Now I sort of want to play this game again. I stopped around chapter 5 I see on the other page. I wonder if I can pick it up again from that point? I remember being chased by this immortal boss monster that would regenerate any limbs I tore off it. Maybe if I change the difficulty to easy I wont be shitting my pants every 5 minutes.

#27 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

It's definitley worth giving it another go...

I saw on one of your previous posts you said you had difficulty with aiming, I did to until I turned VSYNC off and then it was completely smooth. I was very frustrated with it up to that point!!

#28 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostAptorius, on 12 April 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

Oh damn. Now I sort of want to play this game again. I stopped around chapter 5 I see on the other page. I wonder if I can pick it up again from that point? I remember being chased by this immortal boss monster that would regenerate any limbs I tore off it. Maybe if I change the difficulty to easy I wont be shitting my pants every 5 minutes.

I think at the end of that chapter you're able to mostly defeat him...mostly.

On the subject of things mostly happening...mostly...I rewatched Alien and Aliens in preparation for the new prometheus movie and it definitely spurred me into finishing this game. I'm at Ch 7 or something and plasma cutter is getting much harder to come by. Gotta say, I love the way this game handles the zero gravity situations. Easily the most hectic and unnerving parts of the game. Especially when they mix it with a vacuum so you can't hear the bastards slithering toward you.

And I loathe with all my heart the big fat things that explode into hundreds of tiny zerglings. Fuck those things all to hell.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 12 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#29 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:19 AM

The big fat exploding guys aren't a problem. Its the tentacle babies that love to run up walls and on the ceiling that freak me RIGHT THE FUCK OUT.

And yes, I don't think I used a weapon that wasn't the plasma cutter. Cut off limbs then finish them is the way to go. Babies with tentacles that shoot acid at you... so fucked up.

Anyway... only played the first but it was a very good game. The suit looks more and more awesome as you upgrade it.

And the ending cinematic, I kind of expected it but it still suprised the hell out of me when it happened.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 13 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#30 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Just tried starting the game up again. It appears I lost my save games so I am starting from scratch. My god the controls are bad. I have tried turning off V-sync and turning mouse sensitivity up to max but the character still moves and turns like he has arthritis. Who the hell designed the control scheme for this PC port?

Then I ran into some kind of bug that doesn't allow me to walk through an open door. Also a corpse I just stomped was flying around the room like a bouncing ball.

EDIT: Tried using my x-box controller instead. Works like a charm. Suddenly the movement, especially looking around, is silky smooth. Why would you release a PC port with such shitty mouse controls? Have some fucking professional pride, you money hungry dirtbags ಠ_ಠ

EDIT 2: Oh great the door bug is a known issue that may or may not be fixable depending upon how much lady luck wants to take a shit on you. Apparently both the controls shittyness and the door bug are related to the games un optimized graphics settings that want to run at 30 fps or something like that. I am trying to figure out some way to make Nvidia play nice with the game but I am not having much luck.

Sigh... PC ports.

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 13 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

#31 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'm taking a short break from this game because it's fo fucking creepy...
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#32 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I almost sat down with it over the weekend but was actually too scared. Like my not wanting to wander around in hallways being surprised by horrifying mutated human alien things was mentally blocking me from firing up the playstation.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#33 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

Not really seen it, never played it... would it be ok to pick up 2 without playing the first one?

I'm getting curious, it sounds creepy.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#34 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

I have 2 sitting on the shelf. You can pick either up for a good bargain right now. I found em at a pawn shop for like 12 bucks each.

Haven't touched 2 yet but it got good reviews in general I think.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#35 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

If I were you I'd start with the first game. It sets up the tone and setting of the universe. It introduces the source of the Necropmorphs and what that entails.

If you don't mind scary games the game has a pretty good story and the games graphical style is very good.

Got the game to work over the weekend. Now if I could only summon enough courage to play it.

#36 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

I'm kind of getting used to the view now - and yes, it probably is intended to make it more creepy, as when you hear something scuttling around you it takes a while to make sure its not right behind you.

So, I was just reading the thread and it looks like it might not be worth wasting nodes on weapons that arent that useful. Up until now, I've just been upgrading the rig and the plasma cutter, but I did buy the pulse rifle which takes fewer shots to kill some of the bigger things I've met so far.

I think I may not have stomped on all the corpses I found so far though - I usually just fire into them to see if they jump up, and if they don't I left 'em.

Great zero-g effects though - I had a necro scuttling across the ceiling towards me, and when its limbs were all blown off its momentum carried it floating past, followed by its spinning limbs. Hah.

I still get caught out returning to areas I thought I'd cleared - I even got jumped while I was buying stuff in the store. Haven't played anything like this since the first Resident Evil games; it's doing everything right so far. I like the way the doors open slowly, with all the steam venting everywhere - reminds me of the last scenes in 'Aliens.'

Is it possible to upgrade kinesis and stasis as the game progresses, or is it best to best to stick to one?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 03 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#37 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, you can upgrade both. There should be plenty of cores throughout the game, enough that you shouldn't have to worry too much about how the upgrades pan out. But like you said, it isn't necessary to use all the weapons, so some of those would be wasted cores.

Also, I'd recommend playing them in order for the same reason that Apt said, but I don't think it would matter too much if you didn't.

#38 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Depending upon the difficulty you're playing on you're going to find a more ammo and health than you could ever need as long as you keep your cool and use tactics during battles. Sell everything that you don't need and buy as many cores as you can. Do not waste money on ammo, health, air or stasis. You'll find plenty of that stuff around. If your inventory gets full it is worth running back to a shop to empty the inventory and then go collect more stuff.

I was playing on easy so I was practically swimming in ammunition. By the end of the game I had maxed out absolutely everything. Health, air, stasis, kinesis, my main four weapons were all maxed out on dmg, reload and capacity. I think when I reached the ending I had 5 spare cores and around 50,000 in the bank.

I went with The Plasma Riffle, The Line Gun, The Force Gun and The Ripper. I felt they over all covered my needs for long range and up close. I suspect I should probably had dropped the plasma riffle and kept the Plasma Cutter but there's just something awesome about using a plasma riffle

#39 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

Yesterday I played a 7 hour long coop session in Dead Space 3 with a friend and it was bloody awesome. Dead Space 3 is, sadly, not as creepy nor as difficult as DS2 and certainly not DS1, but it was still highly entertaining with lots of shock moments and creepy sounds.

But the best part was the Coop. I love games where you can play the main campaign in coop, it simply adds a whole new experience to the game.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

I see I never returned to this thread after the first game.

I played through Dead Space 2 and 3 afterwards and loved each one more than the last one.

Like Primateus mentions, and the critics have pointed out, the survival horror aspect of the series shrinks back as action starts to dominate the game design. Which I was fine with. Dead Space 1 was horrific, Dead Space 3 was just creepy. But man is the action fun in those games.

I remember especially enjoying the space walk sections of these games. The first half of Dead Space 3 really utilizes this to create an amazing open world experience.

Sad to see that studio doing something as lackluster as Battlefield Hardline, rather than something as amazingly well crafter as the Dead Space games. Then again, I suspect Hardlines budget was fraction of Dead Space 3's.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users