• You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#901 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

EmperorMagus, on 24 February 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

On a slightly related note, do we have any what his giant shaft housing blighttown is for? It seems to be man made and I'd think the lore would have some kind of answer.

I can only give you part of the lore due to you being where you are:

The mining efforts for titanite slabs developed the swamp area. However, a pestilence came and twisted everyone there. There's trade between The Depths and Blighttown, but it's kind of "titanite for meat of questionable provenance". Look at the butcher's in the Depths and at "Man-eater Mildred". The giant metal door is to keep the pestilence away and the other entrance is where big drakes are, so they're quasi trapped.

There are a few other sections to lore and that area, but you haven't found them yet.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#902 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

Definitely spend some humanity to reverse your hollowing if you haven't already Magus, increases your health, gives you more survivability, even without summoning. As I said before and the others have said as well, summoning Mildred is probably a good idea - in my experience she doesn't always survive that long, I've seen her just stand in the lava before, but it should be long enough to deal very decent amounts of damage - so reverse at the fire, kill the invader and then try again.

I fired up my Dark Souls 1 earlier today, lo and behold I had a save not to far before fighting Queelag, took me a few tries to get into the swing of things, so rusty.

Refreshed my memory though so some info on her attacks. The lava pounce attack is only used at distance, as such it's best to stay close - if you're right up next to her on her left side you can actually completely avoid the flame sword attacks without dodging or blocking, just run into her - however, she'll usually use the AoE attack if you're close and attacking after her sword combo finishes, keep an eye out for it - she slumps over the spider's head - and run whenever it looks like that's about to happen, circling round to get close again and avoid her using the pounce - don't lock on during this. With Mildred you can simply let her take the brunt of the attacks and always try to attack from behind while Mildred is still alive. In this case you just have to worry about her spinning around and spewing lava in your direction, or the lava spit attack which is always followed by her leaping to reposition herself, keep and eye out and try to keep Mildred between you and her. If you attack from the sides though she can stomp you so try your best to be behind her while Mildred is distracting her. If you're forced to fight in front of her I think she can be stunlocked if you have a weapon that can actually hit her body as opposed to the spider, the overhead on the Halberd might be able to do this, I didn't try this tbh, but if you're creative with your stamina usage there's no reason she couldn't be perma-locked.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 25 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#903 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:42 AM

Well, I killed Mildred but summoning her wasn't much help in killing the Fire Bitch. Considering I ran out of moss, I went back to Undead Asylum (dying to the previously mentioned black knights a couple of times) and recovered the rusted iron ring. I'm going to try killing the bitch again using a fire resistant shield now.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#904 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:13 AM

You're going to hate this part: the ring will let you explore the entire swamp and you should do exactly that. Hit the walls behind a certain treasure chest in a tree to find what makes Dark Souls DARK SOULS (in terms of wonder and aggravation).

#905 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:36 AM

Did you also get the doll? Also very important later in the game. (In terms of wonder and aggravation) :doh:

#906 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:07 AM

Yes I did. What does it do? Or is it a spoiler?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#907 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:13 AM

No spoiler, its basically a key to an optional area - but it's an interesting area.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#908 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

Have you been gotten a Black Knight Shield drop from the Knights? Very high fire resist, can be quite heavy with low Endurance though, Dragon Crest shield is quite good as well but I cannot remember where you get it.

I would recommend beating her and ringing the second bell before you explore the rest of the swamp, but I don't suppose it really matters, with the ring exploring is much, much easier - only the boulder dudes to worry about really. Look really hard inside the tree :doh:

#909 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

Seriously fuck Fire Bitch.

Attached File(s)

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#910 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

Quick Q: Do I want to be going into Sen's Fortress at lvl 42?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#911 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

EmperorMagus, on 26 February 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

Quick Q: Do I want to be going into Sen's Fortress at lvl 42?

You're fine at that level. But go down to the Great Hollow first.

#912 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:47 PM

Or avoid the Great Hollow like the plague that it is lol

But no in all seriousness you should definitely check it out, if I remember correctly you can get the Chloranthy Ring in there, increased stamina regen is always good, stacks with the Grass Crest Shield as well.

Be prepared for sheer frustration, however, oh and more curse frogs.

As for Sen's fortress the traps are more annoying than the enemies, though of course it's the combination that can make it a pain in the arse. Let me know if you get the enemies in there to drop their Greatsword item. I've played hundreds of hours of DS1 and never saw that drop once, not once, eventually just got one off of a mate of my brother.

#913 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:23 PM

The Halberd is freaking OP.

I just murdered Havel the Rock without his weapon touching me once because the freaking halberd is so long.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#914 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:40 PM

WinterPhoenix, on 26 February 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

Or avoid the Great Hollow like the plague that it is lol

But no in all seriousness you should definitely check it out, if I remember correctly you can get the Chloranthy Ring in there, increased stamina regen is always good, stacks with the Grass Crest Shield as well.

Be prepared for sheer frustration, however, oh and more curse frogs.

As for Sen's fortress the traps are more annoying than the enemies, though of course it's the combination that can make it a pain in the arse. Let me know if you get the enemies in there to drop their Greatsword item. I've played hundreds of hours of DS1 and never saw that drop once, not once, eventually just got one off of a mate of my brother.

How do you swap items? I've never really messed with co op apart from helping out in boss fights for items.

Also, does anyone know of there's a way to find out which other players have been interacting with your game, like a list? It would be good to send a message after a co op battle, but I get returned to my world right after we kill the boss.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#915 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:58 AM

Oh it couldn't be simpler tbh, if you're in the same world as someone else and they drop items on the floor you can pick them up, isn't really swapping perse. I cannot remember whether I was in his world or he was in mine though (it might not matter, I'm not sure), it's the only time I ever did it and I never bothered in Dark Souls 3 at all.

I'm not sure how to find out the actual PSN name or Xbox tag of someone you co-op with though, unless of course you already know them beforehand, I never really played with the co-op very much tbh, always preferred playing my games solo, I'm a loner what can I say lol

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 28 February 2017 - 03:00 AM

#916 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:00 AM

I prefer to solo the bosses, then get summoned to co-op in other games. Although sometimes it's good to co op in someone elses game for practice - you get to learn the moves etc without losing anything.

I recently helped someone in co op and they sent me a message to thank me - I just wondered how they did it.

#917 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

Steam tracks the players you've interacted with. There's a way to see that log and then send a message that way.

#918 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

I did co-op on DS3 a fair bit (no item swapping or anything like I said above) but I co-op'd The Dancer alot for Sunlight Medals and a few other bosses, plus I did duels until I got 30 Vertebrae Shackles. But I don't think I've ever co-op'd anything in 2, and DS1 was literally only when I got some very distressingly annoying to get items off of my brothers mate, never dueled anyone, never co-op'd a boss either way. I just don't like two player if I can possibly do it by myself - unless it's specifically a 2 player game, like fighting games for example - though I won't deny it's usefulness for scouting by helping others in the Souls series - but I freakin' hate being invaded, played offline most of the time in the first game tbh. In DS1 I only resorted to asking Shiny (that was his tag) for help with items because I had literally killed some enemies hundreds of times without their drop, like those damn Channelers for the Trident! As for DS3, Vertebrae Shackles and Sunlight Medals would have taken me forever without co-op, like even longer than it took me to get those Concords from the Silver Knights, aint nobody got that kind of time!

At any rate, across all games I can't remember a method of seeing the real tag of anyone I played with on 360 or PS4 - which isn't to say that it doesn't exist, I just don't remember it or never knew it to begin with.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 28 February 2017 - 05:07 PM

#919 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:30 PM

The only thing I mind in the Dark Souls games regarding online play is the hackers and their selfish play.

I don't mind losing to a gank squad. I even had my finest gaming moment ever when I took out all three gank squad members who'd splatted me about four times in the Cathedral area prior. I don't do big physical gestures when gaming, but I actually stood up and cheered before texting my good friend and fellow Dark Souls player about this. I'm not a terrific dueler though. I lose a tad more than I win.

#920 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, Demons Souls and DS1 were solo affairs but my internet was crappy back then; plus I always played as Hollow in DS1 to avoid invasions.

(Weird but DS2 isn't as memorable for me.. maybe 'cause I just played it once? I dont remember using co op though - if I had that that boss fight with Nashandra would have been easier, instead of taking me such a frustratingly long time.)

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

23 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users