• You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#881 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:34 PM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 24 February 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 24 February 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

If you are going back to the Undead Asylum don't forget to visit Snuggly. There is a little nest to the left side, when you are walking towards the Asylum, on a ledge at the cliff. If you drop the right items there you can get useful upgrade materials after quitting and reloading. And for the ring you don't have to fight any black knights at all, as long as you remember where you saw a shiny you couldn't get to at the beginning. :)

You can get a Ring of Favour and Protection from Snuggly with the right gift (Xanthous Crown I think), arguably the best ring in the game - at least it would be without that annoying drawback. Of course there is a much easier method of getting one of those rings if you don't mind ending a particular character's involvement prematurely :)

You're right about the Knights as well, you don't have to fight either of them. I was thinking about the Peculiar Doll sitting in the cell you started the game in I guess.

You also don't have to fight the knight in that case. Roll around him, run, grab the doll and die works also very well :doh:

Yes, its the Xanathous crown. But who would want to sacrifice such a awesome headgear? Posted Image

#882 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 24 February 2017 - 09:34 PM, said:

If you are going back to the Undead Asylum don't forget to visit Snuggly. There is a little nest to the left side, when you are walking towards the Asylum, on a ledge at the cliff. If you drop the right items there you can get useful upgrade materials after quitting and reloading. And for the ring you don't have to fight any black knights at all, as long as you remember where you saw a shiny you couldn't get to at the beginning. :)

You can get a Ring of Favour and Protection from Snuggly with the right gift (Xanthous Crown I think), arguably the best ring in the game - at least it would be without that annoying drawback. Of course there is a much easier method of getting one of those rings if you don't mind ending a particular character's involvement prematurely :)

You're right about the Knights as well, you don't have to fight either of them. I was thinking about the Peculiar Doll sitting in the cell you started the game in I guess.

You also don't have to fight the knight in that case. Roll around him, run, grab the doll and die works also very well :doh:

Yes, its the Xanathous crown. But who would want to sacrifice such a awesome headgear? Posted Image

Ah true you can grab it and then die, prefer to just take it on myself, I remember a time when Black Knights scared the crap out of me, but farming them for Chunks in the Kiln really got rid of that.

If you only have one may as well keep it yeah - I could never bring myself to wear it, it looks ridiculous - but any duplicates might as well be used for a Ring of F/P, it is a great ring for most situations, drawback notwithstanding.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#883 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:51 PM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 24 February 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

Demonbugs is pretty accurate, I don't think they have 8 legs? But I think spiders work quite well as a real world substitute, demonbugs not being real an all :doh:

Go back to it Briar King, you know you want to, the sense of achievement is great plus it gets better once you leave the swamp behind (except the Great Hollow and Ash Lake, but they're optional). I'm a big fan of FF in general, and I quite liked FFXV but Dark Souls is a way better game, if you can deal with the frustration lol

I looked just at a picture of them. It is hard to decide what's a leg. 6 to 10 I guess. But they have insectwings.

Has one of you an idea where the humanoid inhabitants of blighttown are coming from? Izalith maybe?

#884 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 24 February 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 24 February 2017 - 09:34 PM, said:

Ah true you can grab it and then die, prefer to just take it on myself, I remember a time when Black Knights scared the crap out of me, but farming them for Chunks in the Kiln really got rid of that.

If you only have one may as well keep it yeah - I could never bring myself to wear it, it looks ridiculous - but any duplicates might as well be used for a Ring of F/P, it is a great ring for most situations, drawback notwithstanding.

Before I learned how to parry the Knights were a nightmare for me as well. On my first playthrough I used the Red Drake on the bridge to kill to Knight on the Tower for me, cause I always died in a fair fight.

#885 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

The first black knight I killed with arrow (it took forever). The one on the bridge is still alive. I met a third one while exploring Dark Root Basin and killed him in a fair fight. As long as you can draw them to somewhere open and circle around them they aren't much of a problem.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#886 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 February 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

I'm sure I ll cave in soon. Really wanted to wrap up 15 soonish since Horzion is so close. The swamp may end the try. Think I have to go back to She Spider to ring a bell still.

Not sure how I feel about Horizon, trailer looks pretty good though so I think I'll get my hands on it at some point when I have the money. But yeah if I can remember rightly from the thread you left without ringing the bell, so you do need to get back down there, I can't remember whether you have access to the shortcut or not? If so, it's really not as painful as the Depths entrance.

As for Black Knights yeah that's pretty much the case open space where you can parry or circle for backstabs more effectively makes them far less of a threat. The most annoying Black Knight encounter (outside of your first time) is probably the one inside the Catacombs, as you fall into a tight space. Parries in general make short work of them, I always prefer backstabs though as I'm pretty terrible at parrying.

#887 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:42 PM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 24 February 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

I'm sure I ll cave in soon. Really wanted to wrap up 15 soonish since Horzion is so close. The swamp may end the try. Think I have to go back to She Spider to ring a bell still.

Not sure how I feel about Horizon, trailer looks pretty good though so I think I'll get my hands on it at some point when I have the money. But yeah if I can remember rightly from the thread you left without ringing the bell, so you do need to get back down there, I can't remember whether you have access to the shortcut or not? If so, it's really not as painful as the Depths entrance.

As for Black Knights yeah that's pretty much the case open space where you can parry or circle for backstabs more effectively makes them far less of a threat. The most annoying Black Knight encounter (outside of your first time) is probably the one inside the Catacombs, as you fall into a tight space. Parries in general make short work of them, I always prefer backstabs though as I'm pretty terrible at parrying.

Parrying seems to be really icky in this game. I can never get the time frame right. It doesn't help that the game is locked at 30 fps on PC and gets chunky at places :doh:

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 24 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#888 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 24 February 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

Parrying seems to be really icky in this game. I can never get the time frame right. It doesn't help that the game is locked at 30 fps on PC and gets chunky at place :doh:

Yeah it can be and the 30fps issue could cause issues on that front as well. There are certain items that make the window easier, i.e the buckler shields. But they provide the least protection, with parrying it's a high risk high reward strategy, get it right for loads of damage, fail and you're in serious trouble.

#889 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:05 AM

Not sure what else it has aprt from high poison resist tbh, it's very light for builds looking to be under the 25% cap and still use a heavy weapon. Not sure if it has anything else special going for it off the top of my head tbh.

#890 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:12 AM

Yesss

Finally got to the bonefire and found the wheel thingie.

I'm gonna go up with it, but I have no idea where I'm going or how to get back to firelink so I could go get the rusted iron ring you guys are talking about.

Edit: Well, I found the key to the New Londo ruins before dying again. Guess that's going to be useful somewhere.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 25 February 2017 - 12:21 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#891 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:32 AM

I wouldn't bother going back before you kill Quelaag. You can roll/flounder across to the big hill/nest, dodge the boulder guys and go in the hole. Don't touch the people with parasites on their heads.. then have a go at the boss. When you kill her you get to ring the second bell, then you can head up and get out.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 February 2017 - 12:32 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#892 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:34 AM

View PostTraveller, on 25 February 2017 - 12:32 AM, said:

I wouldn't bother going back before you kill Quelaag. You can roll/flounder across to the big hill/nest, dodge the boulder guys and go in the hole. Don't touch the people with parasites on their heads.. then have a go at the boss. When you kill her you get to ring the second bell, then you can head up and get out.

Well, I went and looted something off a corpse which awakened a gignatic tree dragon or something. I knew I shouldn't have touched those two corpses.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#893 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:48 AM

Sounds like the undead dragon on the way back to firelink.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#894 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:54 AM

Alright so if you want to get the ring, here's how you get back to the Undead Asylum. From Firelink Shrine, use the lift shortcut up to the Cathedral but instead of taking it all the way up jump out onto a stone ledge (this may be easier to see on the way down) here you'll be above the part of Firelink near Petrus. From turn right and go forward onto the grass nearby, go right to the edge and roll off in the direction of the moss covered stone arch. Walk up the arch into the interior of the ruined tower and then up the stairs to your left. Here you'll see a lootable corpse on the building beneath you, get it. Then you'll need to do the whole lift, ledge, roll thing again. This time however when you get to the stairs in the interior just keep going up till you get to a birds nest, stand in the birds nest and crouch as it prompts you too, then just wait :doh: The ring is easy to get, as discussed above you only have to fight some hollows. However, be aware that when you enter the area that you fought the Asylum Demon in back at the start if you walk out into the middle of the courtyard, it will give way and you'll be forced into a boss fight, after taking a good chunk of fall damage, which is unavoidable, so go round the sides if you wish to avoid this for the time being. Well worth fighting the boss at some point though, for the reward as well as the sense of accomplishment.

All that being said, I tend to agree with Traveller that now you are down there, you might as well just power on through the swamp to the hilly looking area off to the far right from the bonfire alcove. There are two boulder dudes here, but frankly you can just run past them. The tunnel to the boss is here, you might as well stick around until you've defeated her now you're here. Reverse your hollowing and kindle the nearby bonfire for best Estus before you do so, and feel free to summon Man-Eater Mildred outside the boss fight (more for distraction than anything else) if you've already defeated her when she invades outside the bonfire - this only happens if you're human, so perhaps reverse your hollowing at the fire, kill her when she invades then rest again before being on your way to Queelag. Her presence in the fight isn't necessary though, she won't last very long anyhow, but the distraction, however temporary can be nice, especially when you've no idea what you're in for. You can come back with the Rusted Iron Ring later for exploratory purposes, it becomes very, very simple to travel there later on after a couple more mandatory story bosses. I would highly recommend exploring thoroughly once you do have the ring, you never know what you might find if you look hard enough...

EDIT: New comments while I was posting, seems like you've left the area, that sounds like the Undead Dragon in the Valley of the Drakes area. Pro tip, that dragon doesn't move very far, pepper it with arrows from afar if you have enough. Just so you know though past that dragon is two completely different areas, if you want Firelink, it's basically infront of you over some beams when you leave Blighttown.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 25 February 2017 - 12:57 AM

#895 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:08 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 25 February 2017 - 12:54 AM, said:

Alright so if you want to get the ring, here's how you get back to the Undead Asylum. From Firelink Shrine, use the lift shortcut up to the Cathedral but instead of taking it all the way up jump out onto a stone ledge (this may be easier to see on the way down) here you'll be above the part of Firelink near Petrus. From turn right and go forward onto the grass nearby, go right to the edge and roll off in the direction of the moss covered stone arch. Walk up the arch into the interior of the ruined tower and then up the stairs to your left. Here you'll see a lootable corpse on the building beneath you, get it. Then you'll need to do the whole lift, ledge, roll thing again. This time however when you get to the stairs in the interior just keep going up till you get to a birds nest, stand in the birds nest and crouch as it prompts you too, then just wait :doh: The ring is easy to get, as discussed above you only have to fight some hollows. However, be aware that when you enter the area that you fought the Asylum Demon in back at the start if you walk out into the middle of the courtyard, it will give way and you'll be forced into a boss fight, after taking a good chunk of fall damage, which is unavoidable, so go round the sides if you wish to avoid this for the time being. Well worth fighting the boss at some point though, for the reward as well as the sense of accomplishment.

All that being said, I tend to agree with Traveller that now you are down there, you might as well just power on through the swamp to the hilly looking area off to the far right from the bonfire alcove. There are two boulder dudes here, but frankly you can just run past them. The tunnel to the boss is here, you might as well stick around until you've defeated her now you're here. Reverse your hollowing and kindle the nearby bonfire for best Estus before you do so, and feel free to summon Man-Eater Mildred outside the boss fight (more for distraction than anything else) if you've already defeated her when she invades outside the bonfire - this only happens if you're human, so perhaps reverse your hollowing at the fire, kill her when she invades then rest again before being on your way to Queelag. Her presence in the fight isn't necessary though, she won't last very long anyhow, but the distraction, however temporary can be nice, especially when you've no idea what you're in for. You can come back with the Rusted Iron Ring later for exploratory purposes, it becomes very, very simple to travel there later on after a couple more mandatory story bosses. I would highly recommend exploring thoroughly once you do have the ring, you never know what you might find if you look hard enough...

EDIT: New comments while I was posting, seems like you've left the area, that sounds like the Undead Dragon in the Valley of the Drakes area. Pro tip, that dragon doesn't move very far, pepper it with arrows from afar if you have enough. Just so you know though past that dragon is two completely different areas, if you want Firelink, it's basically infront of you over some beams when you leave Blighttown.

Thanks!

I'm back in the swamp and continously dying to Fire Bitch Quelaag. I can dodge all of her attacks except for the charge one (which is almost always followed by the lava spew = instant death) and the body slam one (which instantly kills me).

I'm running out of purple moss crossing the swamp over and over again.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#896 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:32 AM

It's been so long since I fought Queelag, I'm not sure any advice I can give is worth much. Summoning Mildred can help for however long she survives, but of course summoning requires being human, so it can quickly eat into your humanity to keep doing so.

As for your purple moss issue, the only real answer is to farm some more or get the Ring tbh, if you honestly feel like you are going to be fighting her for a long time yet it might be worth your time to do one or the other. The ring allows you to move fast enough that you can avoid poisoning if you work out the fastest route. It's just a pain to be having to go all the way back once you are so close.

EDIT: Or try gearing for Poison Resist when you're crossing, Ninja garb+Spider Shield. Then switch back to your proper gear before you enter the boss fog.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 25 February 2017 - 01:36 AM

#897 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:03 AM

Mildred can usually distract her long enough for you to get her health right down, then you should be able to finish her off. You want to get close to trigger the forward fire attack, then hit her while she's busy.

Just out of interest, to what extent do you use the environment, arrows, and alternative ways to kill things? I think it's part of the beauty of the game that there are different ways, less head on, if you look for them, especially if you're fast and lightly armoured.

(I bumped into a knight yesterday who was wielding an onyx sword, and was monologuing and being very condescending while trying to kill me. I looked around, found a good defendable place outside by a tree and a nice cliff - sure enough he came at me and by blocking and getting the tree at my back I got him to fall over the edge.

I'm also a fan of luring things into the open with arrows, and climbing up ladders and throwing flame orbs down at them.)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 February 2017 - 08:24 AM

#898 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 24 February 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 24 February 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

Parrying seems to be really icky in this game. I can never get the time frame right. It doesn't help that the game is locked at 30 fps on PC and gets chunky at place :doh:

Yeah it can be and the 30fps issue could cause issues on that front as well. There are certain items that make the window easier, i.e the buckler shields. But they provide the least protection, with parrying it's a high risk high reward strategy, get it right for loads of damage, fail and you're in serious trouble.

Different attacks have also different windows. Swings are way easier to parry than trusts.

Like Traveller said, Mildred makes the fight a lot easier. You have to fight her before you can summon her, she is an npc-invader that will spawn near the bonfire once you are in human form.
Queelags most powerful attack is an AoE that will onehit you normally at that level without blocking. She does it if you attack her too often from the side. Two seconds or so before she does it her human body will go limp, so keep an eye on it. Also equip your gear and shield with the highest fire resistance.

Another possibility that could work very well with Mildred as tank is Power Within, if you have a pyromancy flame and a free attunement slot. The life drain effect isn't that strong. As long as you heal once you will always survive. And 40% extra damage for the first minute of a fight can help a lot. :)

#899 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

I love using arrows to draw mobs one by one into places I can murder them. Firebombs are too expensive for my liking though. My attempts at throwing people off ledges are more likely to end with me falling off a ledge.

I'm down to 2 purple moss and another 8 purple moss clumps (I think). This means I've died 18 times to Fire Bitch now. Her charge and jump is freaking impossible to avoid and it immediately kills me...

Ungh

Maybe I should spend some humanity.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 25 February 2017 - 08:32 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#900 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

What range are you when she jumps though? I think that she only does it a a distance, so if you bait her into the close attacks she won't do it? You could try running in close to her front, and jumping back - enough to bait the flame attack or even lava... then roll round the side and hit her while she's doing it. She sort of crouches before the blast attack so you can get out of the way when she looks like she's going to do that one. Mostly these battles take as long as it takes to learn which move is coming, and what triggers the moves you want that will make her vulnerable. So easily said, I know...

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users