• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#841 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Have you killed the Gargoyles? If so, there is a guy behind them in the bell tower who sells purge stones for half price.

I did the same thing first time, fell down that damned hole! Except I'd saved at the bonfire and was stuck doen there with half health.(wait and see what happens if you get cursed again!) Good practice for not getting hit tho, one hit and you're out!

Like Humanity - save it until you need it.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#842 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostTraveller, on 23 February 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

Have you killed the Gargoyles? If so, there is a guy behind them in the bell tower who sells purge stones for half price.

I did the same thing first time, fell down that damned hole! Except I'd saved at the bonfire and was stuck doen there with half health.(wait and see what happens if you get cursed again!) Good practice for not getting hit tho, one hit and you're out!

Like Humanity - save it until you need it.

Fuck, another thing I forgot, yeah Oswald of Carim (the weird dude in the belltower) sells them half price, unless I'm very much mistaken you can also trade him humanity to rid yourself of curse - but I'm not sure how much, and humanity is more useful elsewhere.

I also fell down that hole first time I played, got murderlated by the frogs and actually didn't plays for ages because I was so pissed lol

Another tip I just thought of, the two-handed power attack on the Drake Sword can take out the frogs from a distance pretty easy, as can firebombs of any persuasion. The merchant in the Undead Burgh sells them for like 50 souls, works out quite well because each frog gives like 2-300 on NG.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 23 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#843 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

The frogs aren't actually hard to kill once you know where they are. That hole is a mean trick as they surround you, but on replays I've had no trouble clearing the sewers to collect rings etc... they only take a couple of hits, and they telegraph their 'curse' so its not that hard to avoid.

I wouldn't fall down that hole again, but I have once, while prepared, and I took them all out without getting cursed so it is possible.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#844 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:28 AM

Wow, thanks for the tip about Carim, I was around that area farming and got two purging stones off him for the price of one.

Now I'm exploring the Depths, staying the hell away from any and all Basiliks (or weird eyes thingies as I call them). The rats are great for farming humanity.
Found a peddler down here, now looking for the Bonefire. I'm getting quite scared since I'm lost and my estus is running low.

This game is like crack, I ragequit in frustration only to come back an hour later ready for more abuse.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#845 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostTraveller, on 23 February 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

The frogs aren't actually hard to kill once you know where they are. That hole is a mean trick as they surround you, but on replays I've had no trouble clearing the sewers to collect rings etc... they only take a couple of hits, and they telegraph their 'curse' so its not that hard to avoid.

I wouldn't fall down that hole again, but I have once, while prepared, and I took them all out without getting cursed so it is possible.

Yeah, killing them is not hard at all. I just didn't know what their attacks did and I was careless in dodging them. Still, the risk of engaging them is too high.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#846 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:47 AM

Phew, finally found the bonefire. I just unhollowed myself for the first time in this game to kindle that flame, dunno what that's going to change.

The bonefire is so ... unfortunately situated though, you have to kill an army of those slime thingies to get to anywhere from this room.

There are a bunch of "white light"s I've found so far, but I was scared of traversing across them before finding the bonefire. Now to start dying to this level's bosses ...

Edit: Incredible level design ... I don't know why this game has been sitting in my steam inventory for so long (actually, I know. It's because I keep dying and ignoring the game for half a year)

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 23 February 2017 - 11:48 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#847 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

Don't worry about killing the slimes, although they do drop green titanite I think.

Head down again but try to find your way back up to the door that you can unlock from the other side, which will give you a short cut down to the boss. (There's a short ladder right near the bonfore I think that leads to the locked gate, you may have to smash some crates to see it though.)

Drake sword will be fine, it's a fun fight!

Btw Kindling ups the amount of estus recharges you get when you rest - 5, 10, 15.. you only really need to boost the 'hub' ones you return to, and the pre-boss ones.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

#848 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

What you will find over time is that "strongest weapon" is less important than "weapon you're truly comfortable with". Experiment, find out which ones click with your brain and play style.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#849 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

View Postamphibian, on 23 February 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

What you will find over time is that "strongest weapon" is less important than "weapon you're truly comfortable with". Experiment, find out which ones click with your brain and play style.

Strongest isn't necessarily best, but something that scales with the attribute you are levelling up is definitely a bonus.

Plus, some weapons are just more suitable for certain mobs. Those undead knights around the first Bell Tower gave me grief until I got a halberd, which basically takes them apart.

#850 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

I'm ashamed to admit I got lost again and wandered into the basiliks. However, this time I was ready for them and murdered every last one without taking a lick of damage. Ring of Evil Eye is mine!

The Halberd is a pretty OP weapon tbh, I have that and the Drake sword equipped right now and both of them are doing a great job for me. I do need better armor than I currently have though, as all I'm wearing is black leather stuff.

Edit: Just had the pleasure of meeting the gaping dragon. We were having much fun until she decided to sit on me.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 23 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#851 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

The Gaping Dragon is female? Posted Image

Funny Bossfight by the way. It may be easier without phantoms, if you are currently using the two summoning sings near the fog door.

The Halberd is one of my favourite weapons in the game. it has only low/medium scaling, but is a good candidate for a magic/elemental upgrade path. Maybe you have already found one of the necessary blacksmiths or embers. Should be stronger than the Drake Sword after that.

#852 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 23 February 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

I'm ashamed to admit I got lost again and wandered into the basiliks. However, this time I was ready for them and murdered every last one without taking a lick of damage. Ring of Evil Eye is mine!

The Halberd is a pretty OP weapon tbh, I have that and the Drake sword equipped right now and both of them are doing a great job for me. I do need better armor than I currently have though, as all I'm wearing is black leather stuff.

Edit: Just had the pleasure of meeting the gaping dragon. We were having much fun until she decided to sit on me.

Just another tip of you haven't realised already - going two-handed is a great way of giving max damage if you have the stamina to get out of the way after.
The leap-forward and strike move is also super effective.

I've just booted up DS 3 and got into the dlc. Snowstorms, moving trees and a pack of giant wolves so far.

#853 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:32 AM

Finally killed The Gaping Dragon. This fight was fairly straightforward ... Just don't run under her when she lifts off (d'uh) and avoid her slam&charge.

25k souls is a great reward for it though.That's almost 3 levels for me.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 24 February 2017 - 03:09 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#854 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:10 AM

Blighttown is freaking terrifying. Someone send help please.

Edit: Poison darts ffs. These snipers are everywhere and there is no bonefire.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 24 February 2017 - 03:17 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#855 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:06 AM

Great tip for dealing with Blighttown snipers, poison yourself with Dung Pies by throwing them at your feet - you need a few and I can't remember whether you can actually buy them from anywhere. This sounds counterintuitve I know, but the poison from Dung Pies is not very damaging, and while you are poisoned you cannot get the toxic status from the sniper blow darts, meaning you can just laugh at them. Obviously if you want to try that particular tip it would be useful to have at least a few Purple Blossoms to deal with the status once the snipers are no longer around, they never respawn.

On that note if you find yourself needing Purple and Blooming Purple Blossoms to deal with poison, best place to farm them is through the gate near Andre the Blacksmith. It's being protected by a Titanite Demon which can be scary as fuck, but that particular one can be easily cheesed, as there's a spot behind a rock from which you can pelt him with arrows and he'll never be able to hit you. One he's dead he won't respawn and the forest area through the gate has respawning tree enemies who regularly drop blossoms of all varieties. This is also the area in which the souls farming method Briar makes mention of can be found, though you need to buy the expensive Crest of Artorias from Andre before you can open the requisite gate in said area - I can describe the farming method for ya if you want, course it's probably better to wait until you've made it out of Blighttown first.

Oh, what did you pick as your gift at the beginning of the game? If you picked the master key (best gift tbh) then there's a much, much, much easier way into and to the bottom of Blighttown. Of course you miss some items (some better than others) if you never take the long the way through even once.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 24 February 2017 - 04:09 AM

#856 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:16 AM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 23 February 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

The Gaping Dragon is female? Posted Image

Funny Bossfight by the way. It may be easier without phantoms, if you are currently using the two summoning sings near the fog door.

The Halberd is one of my favourite weapons in the game. it has only low/medium scaling, but is a good candidate for a magic/elemental upgrade path. Maybe you have already found one of the necessary blacksmiths or embers. Should be stronger than the Drake Sword after that.

Halberd is great, and the scaling on it isn't bad at all once you get to higher upgrade levels tbh. As a general rule of thumb Magic/Elemental upgrade paths are inferior due to the way the enemies defenses work in Dark Souls. Every enemy has Physical defenses as well as Magical and specific elemental defenses. If your weapon does two types of damage the numbers lead you to believe you'd be doing more damage as it adds two values together, but the damage being done is actually checked against both defense values meaning weapons with split damage always do less damage in the long run. It's one really dumb thing about Dark Souls.

#857 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:19 AM

I've already killed the titanite demon and went through to kill the Moonlight Butterfly. I'm also playing a thief, so I have the master key.

There are three gigantic baseball bat weilding fatties at the beginning of bligttown that drop those dung pies, I'm gonna poison myself next time I go in.

@BK I do have the spider shield, but I was using my other upgraded one. I'm going to switch over.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#858 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:55 AM

Not sure the Ninja garb is 100%, but it is definitely a considerable amount of resistance, of course it doesn't have the greatest physical defenses in the world, but then you shouldn't be getting hit :doh:

If you are going to try the poisoning yourself method, it's definitely desirable to get some blossoms first, else even with minimal damage it can end up being costly for estus. What I suggest is don't poison yourself for the whole time, only do it when you know there's a sniper nearby, once the snipers dead then use a blossom. Keeps the estus cost down that way - I cannot remember how many Dung Pies it takesto posion yourself btw, I'm sure there's a place to buy them as well instead of relying on drops, but I can't remember where.

Ok if you have the master key there's a much easier way in from Firelink Shrine. Go underneath Firelink and use the lift down to New Londo Ruins, you come out of one stone tower and there's another right nearby with a locked gate inside that the master key will open. This leads to the Valley of the Drakes, there's some wooden beams across the chasm and then in front of you is the back entrance to Blighttown, if you use this way you never have to deal with a single sniper. However, there are items the long way down, some quite cool and some necessary for trohpies etc. So it's up to you.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 24 February 2017 - 04:57 AM

#859 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:33 AM

If you want the short cut to the bottom of blight town - go through the gate from firelink. You can run/roll past the fatties with clubs, and decend each ladder, but take out the mosquitos on the way with a bow or spell before they reach you.

The ladders go straight down to a wheel, which you can step on to take you down to the swamp base. Its tricky to get on the wheel due to the camera angle but just go carefully. Once down hug the wall until you find the alcove with bonfire in it. Then you can explore.

There's a rust ring which allows you to walk through water without hindrance but thats a different side mission from firelink. Fun boss fight though!

This post has been edited by Traveller: 24 February 2017 - 06:34 AM

#860 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:44 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 24 February 2017 - 04:19 AM, said:

I've already killed the titanite demon and went through to kill the Moonlight Butterfly. I'm also playing a thief, so I have the master key.

There are three gigantic baseball bat weilding fatties at the beginning of bligttown that drop those dung pies, I'm gonna poison myself next time I go in.

@BK I do have the spider shield, but I was using my other upgraded one. I'm going to switch over.

Try to kill the giant club fatties when you get there. If you can reliably rip through them and slowly inch your way past the snipers, you'll be in better shape for what will come once you reach the mucklands.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

41 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 41 guests, 0 anonymous users