Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#781 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:44 PM

View PostTraveller, on 15 April 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

It is a totally horrible area.

I'd follow Amphs advice though - go back to the firelink/church elevator. Roll off it onto the first ledge you see on the way up. (Take the left elevator from the bottom.)

Walk round until you see a bit of the firelink building you can roll/jump onto. Then go up the steps to the crows nest. Crouch in it until the crow flies you back to Asylum.

There is a ring there that helps you walk through water at normal speed. The base of Blight Town is a swamp. That poisons you. Believe me, it will help!

I would roll onto the ledge by taking the elevator down from the church. It's easier to see that way.

What we are speaking of is a ledge that is right next to the elevator, but before you reach the bottom. It's not an actual stop to the elevator mechanism, so you need to time the roll somewhat correctly. When you do get there, slowly explore and eventually you will climb upwards a short time and find a giant crow's nest. Do the action button in it and the crow will take you back to the Asylum for the stuff you need.

Yes, exit Blighttown for now and find this spot.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#782 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:42 AM

View PostBriar King, on 20 April 2016 - 11:30 PM, said:

No clue what y'all talking about.

Idk...BT maybe the end of my play time with this game. I've got 74 hrs but this area is bad. I may quit and just look up story and go buy 3.

Lagtown does indeed suck soooooooo much, I detest it, and I can't say I feel much better about the 2 hidden areas (The Great Hollow and Ash Lake) that you can access from the bottom area either, in general the entire area is just awful - especially on playthough 1 when you are trying to collect everything and don't have intimate knowledge of the place. It certainly becomes alot more tolerable on further playthoughs with prior knowledge, when you know what you can live without getting, what you don't want to get at all etc. Even better on NG+ if you've already got everything and have no need of duplicates. You can use the Master Key to enter BT from it's back entrance (In the Valley of the Drakes, take the lift underneath the bonfire at firelink down, you'll be in New Londo, there's a second exit from New Londo down there, you don't have to venture into the area proper to find it), if you didn't pick the key as your starting gift you can get buy it from the Welsh sounding NPC you meet in the Sewers just before the entrance to BT, but only after he moves to the Firelink area I think. He sits under the Viaduct, you have to jump to get to him. I think it's beating the Gaping Dragon that makes him move there. Using the back entrance to BT is a thousand times easier, if you don't care about the items you can get (some are needed for achievements) then it's way preferable.

Amphibian and Traveller are right as well, getting the Rusted Iron Ring from the Undead Asylum first does make the whole thing much easier once you get to the bottom of BT, makes it so you don't move so slowly through the poison inducing swamp you find once you've made it past the blow dart fuckers and their friends. Tip for the blow dart fuckers, especially the one area where there are about 5 of them, poison yourself first (i.e hit yourself with multiple dung pies) you cannot be hit with both poison and toxic, the damage you receive from the use of dung pies is absolutely negligible in comparison to the toxic status frankly, and their attacks become useless as a result.

Getting back to the Asylum is easy, if a little out the way for someone who doesn't know. There is a lift up to the Chapel you have to climb to fight the Gargoyles earlier in the game, in the Firelink Shrine area. You can only operate it from the Chapel side at first, but once you've used it once, it goes both ways. If you hop into it from the Chapel end, ride it down and roll of the lift when you see an area you can't reach any other way, you can then roll of the side at a certain point onto part of the round stone structure that'll be in front of you (sorry for the lack of specifics there, but once you're on the area it becomes rather obvious I promise), following it up and round takes you too a crows nest, if you curl up inside you'll eventually be flown by the crow back to the game's starting area. You will need the Undead Dead Asylum Key to get to the ring in question, the key is on a corpse on the roof of the flooded section of Firelink, again you reach it by rolling off the lift. Watch out if you do keep playing and go there for the ring, there are two Black Knights in the Asylum area once you return, and if you walk right into the middle of the room where you fought the first boss (the Asylum Demon) way back at the beginning, the floor will break you'll fall down and have to fight Asylum's bigger nastier brother. It isn't too difficult a fight really and you get a Titanite Slab for beating it, but you don't have to fight it to reach the ring I don't believe. So you can just avoid it, fight it and see how it goes and then avoid it next time, or keep trying till you win, whatever floats your boat.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 21 April 2016 - 02:44 AM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#783 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:39 AM

I think if you're on the verge of giving it up BK, go into Blight town through the back way.

You can run past the guys in the tunnel with the clubs - just roll by. Go down a series of ladders, killing the slow big insects, and use magic or a few arrows on the mosquitos. Keep going down the ladders until you reach a waterwheel. There's a bit sticking out that lets you step onto the down elevator, which takes you right to the bottom.

A very short distance away is a bonfire, inside a sort of sewer entrance.

No kidding, it takes 10 minutes to get here from Firelink. No dart guys, no hounds. Just bring a lot of purple blossom!

From this bonfire you can reach Quelaag, the boss guarding the second bell to ring.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 21 April 2016 - 06:40 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#784 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

Yeah if you do it that way, you don't even really need to bother with the Rusted Iron Ring, just make sure you've got enough blossom like Traveller says. Just don't fall off the Waterwheel/elevator, for some reason I always manage to do that alot lol

Be careful if you are human once you reach the bonfire of which Traveller speaks, if so you will be invaded by Man-Eater Mildred, frankly she isn't difficult to beat at all, but if she surprises you while you're trying to mop up Mozzies or whatever, it can get a little hairy.

#785 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:45 AM

Drop an item, like purple purple blossom, dung pie etc - humanity is a good one too. Step back. Quit game, reload and see what you get..

(The mechanic relies on you leaving the area but it's quicker to reload)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 April 2016 - 08:16 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#786 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:23 PM

There's a list of things Snuggly the Crow will take and trade for you.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/hawk-girl

#787 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:47 PM

The Fog Ring is great. You need a Cast Light spell to replace the lantern, unless you finish the Catacombs first.

#788 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:16 AM

You can get more than one lantern by that point in the game I think, though that would require some 'quality' time spent in the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants which aint exactly a picnic. I like to give Snuggly the Xanthous Crown myself, Ring of Favour and Protection ftw! Though there is obviously a far quicker and easier way to get one if you don't mind outright murdering Lautrec, and who knows some people might actually find the Xanthous Crown more useful than outrageous lol I don't fashion souls for the most part, but that damn crown, taking it too far ;)

EDIT: The Fog Ring is brilliant I agree. Especially in conjunction with the spell that muffle sounds (or ring, or both, I forget?), I always use the combo to deal with a certain 2 greatbow archers in Anor Londo!!!

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 23 April 2016 - 01:18 AM

#789 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:12 AM

You get the painted doll too?

#790 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

If you don't have it, it's not a game ender, but you miss out on one of the cooler areas in the game. The peculiar doll is in the cell where you first started the game and is the key to the Painted World of Aramis.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 23 April 2016 - 01:06 PM

#791 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

It's only there on the return to the Asylum. Like the Black Knight now in there killed whoever was holding the doll/key, and both of them may have been waiting for you to show up.

#792 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:10 AM

View PostBriar King, on 23 April 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

I ll have to explore it more when I finally get out of BT or make my way out from 1st bonfire. It honestly broke my heart kindling that one cause now I'm stuck there. I just want that area done like yesterday lol

You're struggle in this thread brings back old nightmares, honestly remember swearing off of Dark Souls for about 6 months back when I first reached BT!!! In my opinion though there's only one other area that isn't optional in the entire game that comes close to that level of bullshittery, so you can feel some distinct measure of relief once it is done. And then coast through until you have to deal with the Tomb of the Giants :/

But yeah to get the doll you have to return to your cell, you have to fight at least 1, I think both actually but I can't remember, Black Knight to get it. The area it allows access too though, is definitely one of the cooler areas in the game, my own struggles with the Bosses' tail aside! ;)

#793 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:15 AM

And pinwheels. I hate them more than the dogs.

#794 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

View PostTraveller, on 24 April 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:

And pinwheels. I hate them more than the dogs.

Nothing worse than those dogs, nothing! ;)

Unless you're farming Pinwheels for the family masks, or attempting to farm the baby skeletons for Humanity drops (frankly the rats are easier and thus I always preferred them), you can really just run past them all with little to no danger. Even trying to get all the items (i.e. white titanite slab) isn't too dangerous if you're attempting to leave them alive. That being said I never found them as difficult to fight as those damn dogs anyhow lol

#795 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:39 PM

The titanite demons are the hardest non-boss enemy for me. I never quite understood their movement patterns and had to cheap shot them until I got super super strong and could beat them in a slugfest.

#796 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:52 PM

I'm with you on the Titanite Demons actually Amph, to this day I still cheese them usually, just so much easier lol

There is a bonfire at the bottom in the swamp area. If you are coming the normal way once you get to the bottom of the wooden ramps and walkways (it gets fuckin' hectic at the bottom, crap ton of mozzies and fire bugs swarm you) there should be a giant tree if you turn to your left and run across the swamp, if instead you stick close to the walls on the right you'll quickly come across a sort of sewer entrance, the bonfire is just inside. The walls are on the same side of the swamp as the ramps, that is don't go running forward over to the far side. If you came through the back way, it's actually even closer, once you get all the way down via the lift and then a small ramp, there's a corner to your left, round it, kill one fire bug, the sewer is right in front of you.

Now if my directions aren't enough (they are a bit sucky I'm sorry) if you can see the giant tree once you get down there, there is a bonfire inside there, behind two different illusory walls. It's less than optimal, but if you are really struggling to find the Sewer entrance, you could just run straight to the much larger and thus easier to see tree, hit the bonfire in there, and search for the other one, knowing you won't end up back at Firelink.

#797 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:53 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 April 2016 - 10:28 PM, said:

You have got to be fucking kidding me... I get down there finall only to be knocked off and killed and get zapped back up top. After fucking all this time today... There's got to be a fire down there.... I'm fucking furious now

There's a bonfire. Once you get down to the swamp proper, hug the wall to the right and you'll be there in about a minute. Go quickly though, there are mosquitoes that slowly home in on you. Try to be human too, BC an NPC that is helpful against boss will invade if you are (can kill her easily without taking damage).

But you've basically gotten past the worst part, just a little bit left to go.

#798 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:01 PM

Amph's instructions are alot clearer, less waffly lol

He's right though, you're definitely past the worst of it once you get down there, the Rusted Ring should help you move quicker to make poisoning less of a bitch as well.

#799 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:41 AM

You're so close now, BK. The back route is better as you don't get that cluster of firebugs at the bottom.

Take the wheel down. Then, facing the wheel, go right. Only one or two firebugs, and you can outrun the mozzies to get to the bonfire. Then you're stuck at the bottom of a pit in BT, hooray!

Quelaag next.

#800 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:25 AM

View PostBriar King, on 26 April 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

Got invade by that butcher blade chick. She was dead with 3 strong hits.

Ah Mildred, she does make me laugh with her brazen lack of any protective gear! Now you've beat her, you can summon her before Queelag, so long as you still aren't hollow, she can be pretty useful in the fight, if only as a distraction.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

30 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users