• You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#661 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading MBotF and Playing 360/PC

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:32 PM

View PostBriar King, on 21 March 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

K no big deal then only managed 2 lvls into it before I turned off.

So how are you getting on in the game Bk?
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore
Founder of the Crimson Guard

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#662 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

View PostBriar King, on 21 March 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

Well I slowed down my progression big time over last 2-3 days as I said cause of Destiny tues.

This is a lot better then BB to me. Is DS2 any good?

Yes, it's very good.

It jumps location/time from Lordran (the place where you are in Dark Souls 1) to Drangleic. So it's not a direct continuation of the story, but things relate and overlap and go off on their own.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#663 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:55 PM

Do you strafe or roll much?

#664 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

View PostBriar King, on 21 March 2016 - 10:03 PM, said:

Gah there was a knight up a very long winding staircase above dragon bonfire. I didn't stand a chance. That what pisses me off about this game. I'm lvl 44 and should be feeling OP like I love doing in RPGs and yet I'm getting bitched around easy.

I think that's the main difference between this and other games. And it doesn't change - even late in the game, if you let your guard down, you will get smacked back to the bonfire. It's not your level that changes things, it's learning the moves.

That said, if I walk back through the Undead Burg now, even if I get hit it doesn't do much when I'm wearing my black Iron armour. But any time in the game, if I get caught out and surrounded, I get killed in about two seconds flat. Those damned giant skeletons kept one-hitting me and sending me back, and I'm near level 50 now.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#665 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:28 AM

Do you have a halberd yet? You'll find it really useful for the bigger Knights around that area.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#666 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:44 AM

BK keep going, you are nearly at the blacksmith who can upgrade your weapons.

Tbh level doesn't make a whole lot of difference in this game but what gear you are using. Once your weapons have been upgraded you will find you have an easier time of it.

I have just finished Sens House of Fun, now onto Anor Londo. Absolutely miffed though as I killed the asylum demon but didn't pick up the Titanite Slab, so I have a +14 Claymore that I cant make 15, bugger. Ill probably get my humanity to 10, put on gold serpent ring and go and gank me some darkwraiths and hope that the less than 1% drop rate for slabs procs.
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#667 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:49 AM

View PostDeadHedge, on 22 March 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

BK keep going, you are nearly at the blacksmith who can upgrade your weapons.

Tbh level doesn't make a whole lot of difference in this game but what gear you are using. Once your weapons have been upgraded you will find you have an easier time of it.

I have just finished Sens House of Fun, now onto Anor Londo. Absolutely miffed though as I killed the asylum demon but didn't pick up the Titanite Slab, so I have a +14 Claymore that I cant make 15, bugger. Ill probably get my humanity to 10, put on gold serpent ring and go and gank me some darkwraiths and hope that the less than 1% drop rate for slabs procs.

Crap, I don't think I got that either.

#668 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

Thankfully I have already unlocked everything in new Londo so can easily do farming runs. Will take me a total of 5 mins a run. Just need to have enough homeward bones lol.

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#669 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

I'm heading there next - I want the large ember, and the four Kings are next on my list. Need some more transient curses though, they always seem to run out at the wrong moment.

#670 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

View PostTraveller, on 22 March 2016 - 10:02 AM, said:

I'm heading there next - I want the large ember, and the four Kings are next on my list. Need some more transient curses though, they always seem to run out at the wrong moment.

There are 2 places right at the start to get 2 sets of 2 curses, the first I just before the bridge, the second is after the first 2 ghosts rather than head up the stairs goto the right a bit and there is a body in a barrel with 2 more.

Alternatively if you have a jagged ghost blade or a normal ghost blade (drop from the ghosts ironically) you don't need to curses anymore you can hit with then, granted they can be weak though.

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#671 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

Used those up already. My halberd is one shotting all the ghosts so far. It also helps that you can hit them through the walls.

A new thing I've just noticed - my Fall Control spell fades out in new londo for some reason. I was going to try out a new shortcut by dropping down inside the building with the broken upper floor, but the spell becomes unusable. I didn't see where the border of its lack of effect starts, but it's still weird.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 March 2016 - 12:51 PM

#672 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

I've never used fall control there actually, I have only used it in one place actually (Stray Demon drop).

I don't envy you New Londo though, it ranks as my second least favourite place (second to the Blighttown back entrance), well the top part anyway, lower New Londo is easy lol.

I'll probably cram in half hour in the morning on DS (I play at 5.30 am before work lol) and maybe tonight if my wife is busy as I'm in Anor Londo and I really want to get past those archers ASAP.

Oh Traveller, don't forget to get the Composite Bow while in NL as its the strongest bow in the game (very short range though)

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#673 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostDeadHedge, on 22 March 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

Thankfully I have already unlocked everything in new Londo so can easily do farming runs. Will take me a total of 5 mins a run. Just need to have enough homeward bones lol.

I have used a Homeward Bone a grand total of maybe six times in all playthroughs. Don't see the point in the mechanics of it/have steel balls to go back through the gauntlets each time.

#674 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:23 PM

View Postamphibian, on 22 March 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

View PostDeadHedge, on 22 March 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

I have used a Homeward Bone a grand total of maybe six times in all playthroughs. Don't see the point in the mechanics of it/have steel balls to go back through the gauntlets each time.

They're brilliant for fast-travel before the lordvessel. I went right down into blightown from firelink to get some items, then just zipped straight back using one. Also good if you've collected a bunch of souls and reach the boss gate, where it's pretty unlikely you'll beat it first go. Zap back, level up or whatever, then back to the gate without losing anything.

DH - maybe the fall control doesn't work before the water level is reduced? I'll test it later as I'm planning on taking on new londo. It is an annoying area, mainly due to the ghost infestation in the central building, where they can spear you through the walls and floor where you can't fight back. Don't know if I'll bother upgrading another bow though, my +9 longbow plus hawk ring cover pretty much everything at the moment.

Good luck with the archers - just roll until you're up close.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 March 2016 - 06:26 PM

#675 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:37 PM

It has a quarter of a cape. No cape add on available for Balder Armor, sorry.

#676 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:38 PM

With scimitar, you want to be closer and rolling lots more than you probably are. It's a good sword.

#677 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:02 PM

I just took an entertaining detour.

Having no transient curses left, I went to get myself properly cursed, on purpose. And yes, BK, you can get to a stage where you just walk over everything - I walked into the depths, killed everything on the way, and killed the Gaping dragon on the my first go. Bit risky as I had 10k souls but he's not nearly as bad as some of the others.

Then I got myself fully cursed - although I had to take some armour off for it to build up enough! So now I have half health but I can kill ghosts, so I go back into New Londo, kill a bunch, get a load more transient curses, and get the guy on the roof to remove my full curse. Lowered the lift, found a titanite chunk in a box, and started upgrading halberd towards 15.

Now I need to farm some chunks. (Also just realised that I have about 50 humanity from those dead babies in TotG's. Used some for health as estus was running out quickly when I was cursed.)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

#678 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:10 PM

Definitely worth trying all the movesets before upgrading. Some weapons just feel right.

I'm having fun with a halberd, but if you miss you stagger a bit, and the initial time it takes to attack is often too slow against the fast stuff. Plus, running up to hit the Stray Demon and the Gaping Dragon, the main attack would just.. miss. I'd have to do a running attack to do an overhand. Kills most things pretty easily though.

Currently upgrading furysword and halberd; pyro flame is now +15. Picked up the fog ring too, it's often useful.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 22 March 2016 - 11:21 PM

#679 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:06 AM

Just two all game. Dark Souls 2 has four ring slots, so they figured out that people like those things.

You can get armor/clothes that boost magic in particular.

You cleared the church area and found the badass bodybuilding blacksmith pounding that anvil over and over again?

#680 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:25 AM

View PostBriar King, on 23 March 2016 - 02:43 AM, said:

On rings and 2 slots is there any item you can get to allow for a 3rd ring or just 2 all game? I like Havels ring and atm I'd be kinda fucked if I un equipped it. The 20 xtra lbs it gives is awesome but I lost my fast roll with Hal and Bal armor.

If you keep investing in stamina, you get to a point where you'll still be mobile without relying on Havels.

I prefer the two ring system - it keeps things simple, but at the same time you can win or lose a boss fight depending on what rings you have.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

33 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users