• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adjutant Stormy

#1 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

Friendly mod types, could you please move the Illy and D'rek versions to the HOF-thread please? Thank you. :w00t:

And without further ado, get to know youre resident Adjutant!

1) 1) How were you introduced to the Malazan series?

My identical twin brother was reading Gardens of the Moon, which I thought was some D-list pulp science fiction book about terraforming the moon (since I’d never heard of it). I gave him crap for it, but his rebuttal was simply to hand the book over to me. And the rest, as they say, is history.

2) What brought you to Malazan Empire forums?

I’m pretty sure I was most of the way through MoI, and really, really, really wanted to share how awesome it was to someone other than my brother. And lo, one measly google-search later, I landed here. I do remember spoiling the crap out of myself accidentally (because I hadn’t read the part indicating that the MoI forum is for MoI spoilers, d’oh) RE: Silverfox and some other plot points, but I remembered it not bothering me that badly.

3) Are you a member of many other forums?

A few Diplomacy forums, and intermittently on the forums for one or more ancient games that I still pick up now and again (in order to troubleshoot for new operating systems).

4) Do you remember your first post? What was it and who responded?

I’m pretty sure my first post was in MoI, but I can’t for the life of me remember what about, or who responded. Sorry L Probably raging at .

5) Which members do you feel a special connection with?
I fondly remember the Religion subforum wars with CI and Gem, and HD is a constant figure of reason, as well. Apt and Bubba rarely fail to produce additions for the funny pictures thread, and for that, I am in their debt. Last but not least RLY, definitely, for getting me on the quitting-smoking horse. That was awesome.

6) Is America on it's way out, like the Roman Empire?

Not until we start engaging in convict-fueled theatrical bloodsport. Or go bankrupt. But I’m currently hoping for bloodsport.

7) What fantasy series would be your second choice behind (obviously) MBotF?

Tough choice. I’d go for (a cheap shot) Tolkien. The Fellowship of the Ring was the first book I ever chose to read (after learning how). My dad used to read us Tolkien as bedtime stories.

For modern fantasy, Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files. Pretty awesome.

8) Can you hold your drink, and what's your drink of choice?

I have the unfortunate ability to hold substantial drink, but if I’m drinking (and not broke) it’s gotta be bourbon. If I’m broke, I’m drinking cheap beer, but I won’t stoop to Pabst or Natural.

9) What members would you particularly like to meet in real life (who you have not met previously)?
I sadly haven’t had the chance to meet any malazanites, since the West Coast population is fairly minute.

Logistically speaking, staying inside continental North America would be best (don’t have a valid passport), so perhaps a long roundabout roadtrip to see RLY, Rodeo, and HD. Perhaps Bubba too. My malazanite geography sucks, please correct my inaccuracies and absences.

10) So, what exactly are you doing with your life?

A fantastic question. I’m currently (fingers crossed) going to be graduating from UC Berkeley in Chemistry this spring. After that I’m applying to a masters program, and I’ll eventually be teaching science in (hopefully) highschool. (The Master’s is for the payscale bump). Teaching is one thing that I absolutely adore doing.

11) If you were stranded on a desert island with only one MBotF, which one is it?

The Bonehunters. REALLY close tie between BH and MoI.

12) If you met Steven Erikson and you could only ask one question, what would it be?
Can it be in the form of a command? Like: Publish a Malazan GURPS setting?

13) Who is you favorite character from the series?
Fiddler has got to be my favorite character. He’s the link that ties the old guard to the new. He invented sapper tactics. He’s a crazy Deck reader. He’s got a beard. He’s not particularly subtle (Strings? COME ON).

The Fid+Kalam+QB triumvirate probably are my top 3.

14) In a crime drama, are you the cop, victim, lawyer or the perp?
To be completely honest? The perp. I’m such a rule-bending criminal at heart. I’m just not patient enough to be the rule-bending criminal with the law degree.

15) Who wins?

Gotta be Apt.

16) You seem to have pretty strong opinions. Those ever gotten you in trouble?

All the time. I try to keep discussion on an even keel, but there are some times (like with complicating factors like drink or sleep-deprivation) that I get really short with people who disagree with me. I never back down from a fight, which just makes the conflict even worse. I’m a total empiricist, too.

17) Do you do any creative writing yourself?

I had an entry for one of the Short Story contests, but my computer died and I lost the copy. I’ve written a lot of philosophical drivel, but if I were to answer honestly, I’ve produced nothing particularly good.

18) When not reading MBotF, what are you typically curling up with?
A lot of Sci-Fi. David Brin is a fairly continuous quality companion, (except for the Second Uplift Trilogy, which was fucking terrible), and of course the Big Three, Heinlein, Asimov, and Clarke.

Recently got into the Caine series (kudos Abyss, for the recommendation), and I’m impressed so far.

19) Do you keep a personal library, or do the books just cycle through your possession?

Enormous personal library. Mitigated by the fact that I share most of my collection with my brother. So, it amounts to a moderate-to-large sized library, for each of us. I constantly lend books, and so the book-attrition (accidental, usually) rate keeps the library from overflowing.

20) Please bare one random little known fact about yourself for the peanut gallery please.
I have slept with a Nobel candidate’s daughter, AND a Field’s Medal winner’s daughter.<br style=""> <br style="">

This post has been edited by Shinrei: 20 September 2011 - 06:17 AM

You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#2 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

Thanks Stormy.

One thing I might suggest, as it was suggested to me when I was an education major thinking about teaching in schools, was to go out and teach for a few years BEFORE the masters degree. The schools have to give you the pay bump with that degree, and that can actually be an obstacle to you getting hired. This is because they have to pay you more despite your lack of actual teaching experience. Teach for a bit and get the masters later, or do the masters while teaching.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

View PostShinrei, on 28 January 2011 - 12:54 AM, said:

Thanks Stormy.

One thing I might suggest, as it was suggested to me when I was an education major thinking about teaching in schools, was to go out and teach for a few years BEFORE the masters degree. The schools have to give you the pay bump with that degree, and that can actually be an obstacle to you getting hired. This is because they have to pay you more despite your lack of actual teaching experience. Teach for a bit and get the masters later, or do the masters while teaching.

:w00t:
This.

Also, only reasonable when sober.

Good interview!

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 28 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

View PostShinrei, on 28 January 2011 - 12:44 AM, said:

15) Who wins?

Gotta be Apt.

NooOOOoooo.

18) When not reading MBotF, what are you typically curling up with?

...Recently got into the Caine series (kudos Abyss, for the recommendation), and I'm fucking impressed so far.

Fixed as for all things Caine.
And you're (fucking) welcome.

Good interview.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:56 AM

Ahhhh bourbon.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:50 AM

Yeah, I'm debating the Masters right now, I don't really have the funds to do it, so I will probably end up teaching a few years anyhow.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#7 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:39 AM

Wow, that's quite similar to what I want to do. I wonder if they have to give a pay bump for Master's degree holders over here...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:39 AM

Why isn't your twin a forum member?

I'm sure one of the mods can give him the name "Gesler".
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#9 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:45 AM

View Postamphibian, on 28 January 2011 - 03:39 AM, said:

Why isn't your twin a forum member?

I'm sure one of the mods can give him the name "Gesler".

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:56 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 28 January 2011 - 03:45 AM, said:

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

We have another Gesler?

#11 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:15 AM

Twin on the forum.

#12 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:22 AM

What's the forum ratio of good to evil twins?

#13 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:45 AM

View PostRodeoRanch, on 28 January 2011 - 04:22 AM, said:

1 to beer-thirty.

#14 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

View Postamphibian, on 28 January 2011 - 04:45 AM, said:

View PostRodeoRanch, on 28 January 2011 - 04:22 AM, said:

1 to beer-thirty.

Honestly, he's probably never going to show up on the forum. He worries that it will raise his nerd-level far beyond 'ever-getting-laid' or some such nonsense.\

HOWEVER: he is definitely the evil twin.

EDIT: ALSO, #4 SHOULD READ: Probably raging at(MOI Spoiler)
Spoiler
Typos abound, and much editing intervened.

Mod Edit: No spoilers in the inn please.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#15 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

Good interview! (Noble candidates can reproduce? They have time for it?)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#16 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

Nice interview, as always. Also, I wanted to rep you, but hit the wrong button and gave you neg-rep :w00t: . Sorry
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#17 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

Yeah, sorry stormy about deleted bit. I couldn't find the "spoiler tag" so that's why I deleted that spoiler from inside the interview itself, and then you went and rewrote it! :w00t:

#18 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

View PostAdjutant Stormy, on 28 January 2011 - 02:50 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm debating the Masters right now,

So you freely admit to being a master(de)bater?

couldn't resist. Good interview though. Also, you're in North America and don't want to meet Abyss? I think that's a first.
meh. Link was dead :(

#19 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc
  • Interests:Rugby, Darts, Quality Beer, Heavy Metal... Hard Rock in general

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

Good interview, but pardon my ignorance but "wins" what exactly? I've see this question in many of the interviews and never really got the context.
Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
Murphy: Aye.

Boondock Saints

#20 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

View PostMuttonChops, on 28 January 2011 - 09:29 PM, said:

Good interview, but pardon my ignorance but "wins" what exactly? I've see this question in many of the interviews and never really got the context.

Simply put, wins. everything. Its something of an adopted meme here on Malaz.

Briefly, anything that is good "wins"
Conversely, anything bad "fails"

A brief history of Win on the forum:

a couple of forums back there was a rep war based on the fact that Abyss reached a rep of 100 before anyone else and announced that he, therefore, won.

Apt took exception to this, and began something of a revolt.

Other members of the phoenix inn got involved in a protracted and ridiculous slagging match that rapidly degenerated into a descriptive orgy of ultra violence which, while often rude, never particularly veered into vulgarity.

Also, at some point it was in this thread of ridiculousness and insanity (I miss it a little bit) that it came to light that in an interview SE himself mentioned that he thought Abyss was funny.

Abyss, naturally, took that as confirmation of his Win.
Apt declared it was filthy lies.
and the madness continued.

Good times :w00t:
meh. Link was dead :(

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users