Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

K'Chain Che'malle: Living or dead? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Zalexis 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

When the K'Chain Che'malle made their first appearance in Memories of Ice, I remember them being described as undead. In what manner were they undead? Similar to the T'lan Imass? Were they resurrected by the leader of the Pannion Domin?
How are the Che'malle in DoD related to the ones from MoI? They are living, breathing beings, correct?

#2 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

It was my impression that in MoI, the undead K'Chain Che'Malle were being animated by the matron (sort of like puppets and therefore not as effective as the real ones) where as in DoD, the matron gave birth to a whole lot of them (way more than normal apparently) and that practically drove her crazy.

#3 User is offline   Zalexis 

• Corporal

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

I wonder why the matron chose to use undead warriors in MoI if they're less effective? I've always found the K'Chain Che'malle to be fascinating, but I've basically ignored that whole undead thing since I did not understand it.

#4 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

She could only use undead warriors because there were no male K'Chain around to breed with, whereas that was not the case in DoD. Think of it like a hive of bees. The queen needs male drones to bang if she wants more bees.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Was it ever actually said that the undead were less effective? I've seen people on this board claim so, but don't recall it saying that in the book. Sort of like how a lot of people here think Imass would be better fighters than T'lan Imass, even though it never said so.

#6 User is offline   ShadowRaven 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 24 January 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

Was it ever actually said that the undead were less effective? I've seen people on this board claim so, but don't recall it saying that in the book. Sort of like how a lot of people here think Imass would be better fighters than T'lan Imass, even though it never said so.

I think it was Kallor or Korlat in MoI who says or thinks that the alliance at least has a chance against the K'ell Hunters because they are undead instead of the real thing. The passage is there, I'm sure of it as I finished a reread less than a month ago, but I don't remember who says it.

#7 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

View PostShadowRaven, on 24 January 2011 - 01:48 PM, said:

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 24 January 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

I think it was Kallor or Korlat in MoI who says or thinks that the alliance at least has a chance against the K'ell Hunters because they are undead instead of the real thing. The passage is there, I'm sure of it as I finished a reread less than a month ago, but I don't remember who says it.

Aye it was definately said but don't have the book for quote fu

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Wasn't it Bauchelain?

In any event i agree with the upthread posts re why the Kell were undead in MoI but there were live Kell, Vegath and so on in RG and fwd. Alos, the Pannion's pet Matron was bugnuts from millenia in the gate at Morn, while the Matron in DoD started sane, developed a master plan and everything, and kept popping out Vegath even after she lost it and her Shigal ate her brainz.

Consider that in MoI the Grey Swords were able, with difficulty, to take out one Kell, but early in RG a Kell and a Matron daughter took out an entire regiment with barely any injury.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

Apologies for doubting, then.

#10 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

It's more on the fact that undead the Kell were way slower than they would have been if alive( probably because dead flesh is heavier or somesuch). And it's either Kallor or Bauchelain who says it.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#11 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that the undead Kell were considered to be not as fast and effective as their live counterparts.

Korlat : ‘K’ell Hunters, fortunately undead rather than enlivened flesh. Likely not as fast as they would have been. ' (MoI UKTpb, p.435)

So the Matron who was freed from the Rent enlivened the dead Kell - for reasons posted above.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users