• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So how did the Stormriders figure it out? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Stonearrow 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

Longtime reader, first post!

By the end of SW we've seen the Stormriders destroy 2 out of the 3 pieces of the Lady/CG. My question is, assuming that the Lady is a manifestation of pieces of the CG which fell in Korel as many have posted on here, how were the Stormriders able to destroy pieces of the CG when the most powerful ascendants in the Malazan universe were forced to simply chain him to Burn rather than destroy him outright?

#2 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

do we actualy see them destroy the pieces or do they just bubble out of view?
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#3 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:06 AM

Personally I think they (the gods etc) could have destroyed him but chained him up to drain his power, while the Stormriders just hate the CG/Lady.

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:10 AM

i'd say that in their element, ie the ocean, the stormriders are probably pretty formidable. i was also under the impression that the gods wanted to drain his power
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

What I don't understand is why Rake didn't just Dragnipur the bastard. Would've made a rather sizable contribution to the effort of pulling the wagon.

I don't actually think the gods tried to drain him of his power, the only tangible evidence for Ascendant powers trying it comes in the guise of the Elder Gods, particularly Kilmandaros, Setch and Errastas, who are using it to deliver justice on the world/regain their former dominance. I think trying to drain his power would attract too much distrust and scheming. How would they share it all? I can't see any of the gods willing to come to an equitable arrangement on that score. I believe the gods and Ascendants came together because they had a mutual enemy, and it was in everybody's best interests to curtail the CG's influence and ambition. Take a look at the opposition the FA and the KCNR are receiving amongst the Ascendant powers now. ST/Cotillion, Rake, Hood, QoD, K'rul, Mael, Fener, Trake, Burn and D'rek, off the top of my head. There's probably others I'm forgetting. Then look at the scheming over Dragnipur that took place at Rake's fall. I can't expect a peaceful arrangement occurring even if they did try and siphon his power.

This is the main evidence we have for it:

That god was brought down to the surface of a world. And chained. His power torn apart and secreted in minuscule, virtually lifeless warrens

As for the Stormriders, it's rather ambiguous, really. We don't know why they wanted to reach the Lady. Greymane mentions it as maybe being some sort of ancient obligation or holy pilgrimage or some such, but he doesn't get the whole gist of it(of course :unworthy:), and the Lady mentions this:

The ancient enemy. They have followed me even unto here.

As the Stormriders are an alien force (possibly originating from OP), and so is the CG, who is an Elder (thus gaining power from blood), it makes sense in a way. But we don't know the cause of this apparent enmity, so it's tough to speculate on their purpose. Since the gods couldn't destroy him, it's unlikely to me that they managed to. Who knows what they did with them, I guess we'll have to wait to find out (or not).

This post has been edited by MTS: 21 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#6 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

View PostMTS, on 21 January 2011 - 07:14 AM, said:

What I don't understand is why Rake didn't just Dragnipur the bastard. Would've made a rather sizable contribution to the effort of pulling the wagon.

Draconus: Yay, Rake has sent us another soul to pull the wagon! Let's see what we've go... oh.. oh.. a fucking cripple. A bitter angry cripple. Thanks Rake....
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#7 User is offline   Tellan 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

View PostKanubis, on 21 January 2011 - 08:47 AM, said:

View PostMTS, on 21 January 2011 - 07:14 AM, said:

Draconus: Yay, Rake has sent us another soul to pull the wagon! Let's see what we've go... oh.. oh.. a fucking cripple. A bitter angry cripple. Thanks Rake....

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

A bitter angry cripple who wouldn't mind if chaos succeeded.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users