Malazan Empire: Towers Of Midnight eBook cover art folks! - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Towers Of Midnight eBook cover art folks!

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

LINKY!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, the ebook covers are generally fucking awesome. Cases in point.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 14 January 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

Awesome. Some of those are really fucking good.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 14 January 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

Great link Illy...and totally agreed. They really need to (once the series is done) re-release all the books with the new eBook covers....cause they are so gorgeous.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   aginor 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:33 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 January 2011 - 09:24 PM, said:

Well I think we can all agree that those cover are all vastly superoir to the regular artwork of the books. Why that shitty cover scheme has still been accepted is beyond me...

Probably in the artist's contract or agreement with TOR. I'm looking forward to a another release of the series myself.

#6 User is offline   Unlucky Mancy 

• Recruit
  • Interests:BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS! also angry music (punk rock mostly), and beautiful music (Simon and Garfunkel comes to mind at the moment). Drinking good beer/whiskey and long trips in the backcountry flip my switch.
  • P.S. Cormac McCarthy is my messiah.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

I have always had an abiding loathing for the steady cover art of WoT in the U.S. It seems like the artist has no concept of what the proportions of actual human physiology consists of, especially the cover of The Gathering Storm, a completely inconsequential moment poorly drawn. The cover of the U.K. version of Reaper's Gale, and my first editions of the Dune trilogy are my favorite cover art at this point.
"Only through new words might new worlds be called into order." - Saul Williams

#7 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

View PostBriar King, on 14 January 2011 - 09:24 PM, said:

Well I think we can all agree that those cover are all vastly superoir to the regular artwork of the books. Why that shitty cover scheme has still been accepted is beyond me...

Most of us like consistency.

#8 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

even if its consistently shit? those new covers illy linked are gorgeous. since i haven't looked at some of the books, like path of daggers and winters heart in years i forgot just how bad the covers are. god i wish they would rerelease them
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#9 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 15 January 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

even if its consistently shit? those new covers illy linked are gorgeous. since i haven't looked at some of the books, like path of daggers and winters heart in years i forgot just how bad the covers are. god i wish they would rerelease them

Especially if it's consistently shit. There are those of us that hate it when the style of an extended series is screwed with partway through the series. Cases in point are the US Malazan covers now shipping with the shitty UK art(my opinion), the various series(Dresden and Codex Alera for example) that go halfway with one MMPB size and then start getting published with the taller MMPB. When series style is altered partway through, it ruins the consistency of said series. Now it doesn't look right on the shelf - like there are two different series up there and not one great one.

The WoT has reached the point where its shitty covers are tradition and if they changed the cover for aMoL to be some beautiful art, it would ruin the overall feel of the books on the shelf.

I'm well aware of how obsessive and compulsive all of that sounds, but that doesn't change the fact that it's how many people feel. Personally, all of the bitching about the crappy covers is getting old. It's WoT tradition! :-)

#10 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

View PostTarcanus, on 15 January 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 15 January 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

Especially if it's consistently shit. There are those of us that hate it when the style of an extended series is screwed with partway through the series. Cases in point are the US Malazan covers now shipping with the shitty UK art(my opinion), the various series(Dresden and Codex Alera for example) that go halfway with one MMPB size and then start getting published with the taller MMPB. When series style is altered partway through, it ruins the consistency of said series. Now it doesn't look right on the shelf - like there are two different series up there and not one great one.

The WoT has reached the point where its shitty covers are tradition and if they changed the cover for aMoL to be some beautiful art, it would ruin the overall feel of the books on the shelf.

I'm well aware of how obsessive and compulsive all of that sounds, but that doesn't change the fact that it's how many people feel. Personally, all of the bitching about the crappy covers is getting old. It's WoT tradition! :-)

I only have the WoT covers in the Black with symbols on the front. I far preferred them to the artwork they have on some of the books.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#11 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

Yeah, same here. The old-style US ones were ridiculous. Little House on the Prairie WITH THE DARK ONE.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#12 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

I love the section of the BWB that has the cover art in it. It's called 'Some Narrative Paintings of Questionable Authenticity'. The more we bitch, the worse Sweet makes them, probably as revenge (he never braves WoT book signings any more, I've noticed - he was at DragonCon 2005 and it probably scarred him for life). TGS was ridiculously bad. TOM seemed like an improvement, but LOOK.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#13 User is offline   Punchy Pete 

• Assassin

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

I'd forgotten just how crappy those covers were. They never looked good, I have no idea what lead me to buy the first book, which I did shortly after its paperback release. Now I've switched to e-books. It'll save me hunting through endless boxes in the basement looking for older books and looking at crappy cover art when I want to re-read something!

#14 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

Those new covers are a great reminder that pretty much every youngish/ageless female in the books is insanely hot. Jordan wasn't pulling any punches when he set out to make a sexual fantasy world.

But I don't blame him, if I could make my own fantasy realm the chicks would all be hotties too.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users