Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch aka 'Midnight Riot' in the USA

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Peter Grant is a probationary constable in the London Metropolitan Police Force who hasn't decided yet on what branch of the force he wants to serve in. A glorious career in the Case Progression Unit - who do the tedious paperwork other branches don't want - appears to be on the cards until a terrible murder takes places and Grant ends up taking a witness statement from a ghost.

Assigned to Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale - who deals with all the 'X-Files stuff' no-one else in the Met wants to touch with a bargepole - Grant finds himself tracking down a mystical serial killer with an old axe to grind...

Rivers of London - published under the somewhat less evocative title Midnight Riot in the USA - is the first original novel by Ben Aaronovitch, better-known to SF fans as a writer on the final two seasons of the original Doctor Who (and as the writer of the excellent Remembrance of the Daleks and its impressive novelization). It's the first in a recurring series featuring Peter Grant and Thomas Nightingale as the Met's supernatural experts, with Moon Over Soho due in just a few months and Whispers Under Ground due early next year. It's a rather lazy comparison, but this looks like it could be the closest we have to a British version of The Dresden Files, with the notable exception that whilst Dresden takes a few books to bed in and really take off, Rivers of London is superb from the very start.

The book opens with Grant being dragged into the investigation into a spate of killings and random violence erupting across London. This leads him to becoming the apprentice to Thomas Nightingale, both the Met's resident supernatural expert and apparently the last proper wizard in all of Britain. Grant's education in the ways of magic and mysticism is played out in sporadic scenes alongside the developing plot, as he learns how to create balls of light, levitate things around and so forth. This is also an effective way for Aaronovitch to set out the rules of magic in his world: magic generates a sort-of EMP field that reduces silicon components back to their natural state, making it difficult (but not impossible) for magic and technology to coexist.

Aaronovitch makes the interesting choice to have Grant as someone who is very much aware of the SF&F genre, hence references to things like Doctor Who, The X-Files, the Twilight novels (vampires have a cameo in the book, but no more than that, thankfully), D&D and Cthulu. This could come across as a bit too knowing and a bit too nod-nod, wink-wink, but it actually feels pretty natural and works well. Aaronovitch also has that ability to make the story humourous one moment, dramatic the next and genuinely horrifying the next, spinning the story around and sending it off in a new direction just as you thought you knew what was going on, but always ensuring that everything makes sense.

The book takes its title from its main subplot: whilst Grant and Nightingale are hunting down the mystical killer, they are also tasked with repairing relations between the warring god and goddess of the Thames, using their tributary stream spirits (personified as the deities' sons and daughters) as intermediaries. This is a clever storyline which personifies parts of London as actual people in a similar manner to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, and is just as successful. Given that Rivers of London is also the title of the whole series (according to a couple of listings sites, anyway), I'm guessing these characters will return in later books, particularly the Lady Tyburn, whom Peter develops an antagonistic relationship with.

It's difficult to think of negatives. Perhaps the characters accept the existence of magic a little too readily, and maybe there's a few underdeveloped elements (some more info on Molly would have been nice). Otherwise, the book progresses along at a brisk pace, but is not rushed. Characterisation is strong, and Aaronovitch juggles the humour and horror very well. At one point he even trumps A Game of Thrones to provide the most shocking defenestration in the history of modern fantasy. His depiction of London is also excellent, painting the city and its history with affection without whitewashing the darker parts of its past (or showing any hesitation in reducing well-known streets to warzones). Also, whilst this is a complete novel, Aaronovitch seeds in some unresolved elements for later novels to pick up and develop.

Rivers of London (****½) is a page-turning, relentlessly entertaining novel which injects some vigour into the urban fantasy subgenre. It's available now in the UK and, under its dubious alternative title, in the USA.

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the review Wert, I seen this in Waterstones today and it had a recommend for any fans of Jim Butcher, I certainly will be picking this up along with Abercrombie's "The Heroes" at the end of the month!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

noted.
interested.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

Yep, thanks for the review Wert. Sounds like it is right up my alley sir. Excellent!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

Is it just me, or could London-based urban fantasy almost be its own sub-sub-genre? Apart from Mike Carey's Felix Castor series, which could really be set anywhere, about every London-set series treats London as almost its own character, moreso than others I'm aware of (though to be honest it's the London ones that draw me most) - Neverwhere predates the current craze by a bit, and now there's China Mieville's UnLunDun, Kraken and King Rat, Kate Griffin's Urban Magic series, this...

I'll defo be picking this up, after this review and five stars from SFX.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#6 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Just finished this, good stuff. Engaging read and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

It lacked a bit of tension sometimes perhaps - I wouldn't put it at Castor/Griffin levels yet, even just comparing first novels, but then as Wert pointed out, the king daddy Dresden Files took its while to get going and this is probably a stronger (if less instantly addictive) first book than that. It's defo worth the time of any urban fantasy fans.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 18 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

#7 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

I ordered this today, because I found an old amazon voucher that had some credit left. Never really got into the Dresden stuff, but have a bit more of a connection with London than Chicago, so definitely looking forward to it :unworthy:
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#8 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

I'm currently reading this, I'm 120 pages in and so far I think the Dresden comparisons are a bit misguided.If I were to compare it to something I'd say that it's far more like a lighter version of Kraken. But it is very much its own thing. A word to non Brits though, it is very, very British - and not the Britain of commonly held stereotypes, more the Britain that those of us who live here know (the protagonist, for instance, is mixed race)
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 19 January 2011 - 09:50 PM, said:

A word to non Brits though, it is very, very British - and not the Britain of commonly held stereotypes, more the Britain that those of us who live here know (the protagonist, for instance, is mixed race)

Tbh while there were a few touches in the setup of this I don't think it's entirely the case- it's definitely a London recognisable to people who have never been there but seen the films and postcards. I was making the mental comparison while reading it that while it's a lot more London than Mike Carey's Felix Castor series, which could be set anywhere, it's considerably more accessible to outsiders than the London of Kate Griffin's Urban Magic, which if one hasn't been there is probably something like reading China Mieville's New Crobuzon books.

That's more the setting than people and attitudes, though.
I think the Dresden comparison comes more from the general idea than the specific vibes- the Castor series is a lot closer to Dresden in actual tone, but there isn't a great deal of unique 'Britishness' in it. This has similar ideas in some ways but the attitude itself is, as you say, very British.

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:30 PM

Here's my review. I flat out loved this book and couldn't put it down.

http://icebergink.bl...iot-by-ben.html
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:46 AM

And I've got the review done now after quite a while. All my issues with the US version aside (which include Americanization and cover art white-washing that I go into on the blog), this is a fun novel that I don't hesitate to recommend.

An excert is below:

Peter Grant is a wonderfully believable rookie cop. He’s not cool or terribly exciting – really more of a bland guy that may not be suited for police work, but at least he has a sense of humor about it. But when he discovers that he may have a talent for magic he gets a bit cocky and over confident – not very much, but enough to make him feel even more real. In short, he’s the sort of guy that’s easy to cheer for. And I really enjoy the extra bit that Peter is a bit of geek, making Midnight Riot just self-aware enough to be extra amusing.

So, I’m jumping on the bandwagon with this – Midnight Riot/Rivers of London is a great read. Sure, you don’t want to think too much about it because it all may just fall apart, but it is a fun take on the supernatural detective and captures the atmosphere of London wonderfully. This pulp-ish urban fantasy has a bit of an old-school vibe – just how I like it.
Full Review

#12 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

Book 2: Moon Over Soho

Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last government-sanctioned wizard in Britain and the guy who handles all the weird stuff the Met is clueless about, and his apprentice Peter Grant are on a new case. The body of a jazz musician is found with strong evidence that he was killed by magic. Grant, whose father is an influential 'almost made it' jazz musician in his own right, finds himself drawn back into his father's troubled life as he hunts down the murderer in Soho.

Moon Over Soho is the sequel to the recently-published Rivers of London (called Midnight Riot in the USA for reasons that have never been adequately explained), which made an impressive splash when it was released just three months ago. This series has been described as a British take on The Dresden Files and though there are vague similarities, the main difference between them is cultural: Aaronovitch lives and breathes London, its history and culture, and that comes out in his writing (not just here; anyone who's seen his Doctor Who TV serial Remembrance of the Daleks can see it there as well). London in his books, even this alterno-magical London of river spirits, chimeras and emotional vampires, is as much a character as Grant, Nightingale and the slowly-expanding recurring cast of semi-regulars.

As with the first novel, this is good stuff. The plot unfolds at a cracking pace, there are intriguing backstory revelations about Nightingale and the history of magic, and the characterisation is very strong. There's some effective moments of true horror, and Aaronovitch doesn't brush the consequences of events in the first book under the table. There's some simmering subplots (like Grant's awkward relationship with the river spirits, most notably Lady Tyburn who is in danger of becoming his nemesis) and the introduction of a presumably recurring villain, no doubt sowing the seeds of a multi-book ongoing storyline. In fact, this series is screaming out for a TV adaptation, so applicable is the structure of a stand-alone main plot with ongoing subplots combined with interesting characters.

There are some minor negatives: one plot twist - where Grant's judgement takes a jump out the window as he gets involved with a potential suspect - I assumed was the result of Grant being bewitched or put under a spell, but it appears not, so is just inexplicable. One bunch of characters - who have the potential to be a sort of jazz-playing equivalent of the Lone Gunmen from The X-Files - are introduced who appear to be important to the plot, but then don't do much here (I assume they'll be back later on). Nightingale has some key scenes but generally sits a lot of the book out. In this sense the TV correlation is less successful as there's a fair amount of loose ends left flapping around where their establishment doesn't accomplish much in this book (whilst others, like the setting up an ongoing villain, work much better). Still, we don't have too long to wait for the third book: Whispers Under Ground will be out in November this year.

Moon Over Soho (****½) has a more focused plot than the first novel but also feels a little more unresolved, so it evens out. It's still a relentlessly entertaining, fast-moving and enjoyable urban fantasy with intriguing hints of greater depth waiting to be explored. The novel is available now in the UK and USA.

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#13 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

I've read the first one, really enjoyed it, and the second one is sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read as soon as I finish The Crippled God (yes, I know, I'm way behind times).
*casting the shaved knuckle*

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

On the strength of the upthrrad, bought and read RIOT RIVERS OF MIDNIGHT LONDON, totally enjoyed it. SOHO is standing by in the TRP. Thanx forumites.

#15 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:51 AM

I just posted my review for Moon Over Soho. I liked it - a great follow up. An excerpt from my review is below:

The plot of Moon Over Soho owes a lot to traditional pulp mysteries. I don’t want to spoil anything, so I’ll just say that much is predictable, but it doesn’t really matter since it’s fun and engaging. I find I’m much less interested in the immediate plot on hand than the background. What is the history of Peter’s boss Nightingale? Peter’s own evolution as a wizard. Just how is magic operating in a modern London? And frankly, Peter is just a fun guy to follow and the ‘real’ London that Aaronovitch creates is addicting. Peter isn’t perfect – he’s a rookie that makes mistakes and doesn’t know all that much. And it’s always a relief to have a character who doesn’t miraculously become an expert in everything – even if Peter does have the occasional miraculous leap.

In many ways, the conclusion to Moon Over Soho was both hugely disappointing and quite satisfying. The original mystery on hand is resolved, however other introduced issues are not. More resolution would have been great – but I’m also very intrigued by the possibility of an ‘arch-nemesis’ being introduced. And the future of The Folly is going to get quite interesting.

This is another fun entry in what is fast becoming one of my favorite ongoing urban fantasy series. I may not be able to physically travel to London near as often as I’d like, but at least I get a tour that the tourists don’t when I read about Peter Grant’s London. Thankfully, the wait for the next entry won’t be long because Whispers Under Ground is coming in May, 2012.
Full Review

This post has been edited by kcf: 28 January 2012 - 03:52 AM

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

Am reading bk 3 - WHISPERS UNDERGROUND.
Series discussion thread created HERE.

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

Read Rivers of London this weekend. Great book. One of the most enjoyable reads I've had in years. I'll definitely be moving the sequels up my "To read" list of books.

I thought the book started stronger than it finished but over all it's been a while since I encountered a new author that managed to create such a rich tapestry of characters and fantasy elements. I think part of my enthralment may simply be the British setting. As a counter to something like Dresden it was quite refreshing to get an urban fantasy story with all the British bells and whistles. I am really interested in seeing where he takes this series.

#18 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

An excerpt of my review of Whispers Underground:

First – ignore the description on the back cover of the book. It’s one of the worst I’ve ever read – it does not in any way reflect actual events and feelings in the book. Yes, there is an American FBI agent and yes she seems to be a conservative Christian. However, that is a tiny tangent and not really much of an issue at all – in fact, she’s rather likeable and I wish the synopsis had not made me predisposed to disliking her. It’s really unfortunate that the publishers did such a disservice to the book with this synopsis.

In Whispers Underground Peter is called to investigate the murder of an American art student and the son of a US Senator. The murder takes place in a subway tunnel, which of course leads Peter deep into the Underground, often guided by a particularly untrustworthy informant. The murder plot itself is not terribly interesting and the eventual solution is a bit unconvincing. However, the strength of Aaronovitch’s writing is more in the police procedure and the interlacing of the supernatural with the reality we all think we know as told from the point of view of a well-created and out-right interesting main character. In many ways the murder simply doesn’t matter as the main investigation and a few tangents further real the reality of Aaronovitch’s London.

Whispers Underground continues in the direction that Aaronovitch has set for the series – it may be focused around a single investigation, but further groundwork is laid for growth of the Folly (the team of ‘supernatural’ investigators), for future confrontation with a particularly nasty bad guy, growth of Peter and Leslie’s (potential?) relationship, and more hints of the wider world of magic.

Full Review

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users