Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gate to Our World Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Bale 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

I didn't see another post on this, so hopefully I am not speculating on something everyone already knows...

However, when Cafal, Setoc and Torrent escape through the gate that immolates Talamandas, did anyone notice that they gated to our world? Specifically:

(1) Setoc notices that the last of the wolves was extinct centuries ago;
(2) They all notice the air is polluted, and the stars are fuzzy as a result;
(3) The trees were cut down with even cuts, unlike anything an axe could perform;
(4) When Setoc summons the ghost of the wild animals to open the gate to escape, buffalo are described. Not bhedrin.

Just thought it was interesting.

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

welllll, that depends what period of time they've travelled to. wolves aren't extinct in our world. not in the slightest. unless they go extinct sometime in the future... but thats fantasy again and how could we tell if it is our world? also, saws aren't really that much of a technological advance. plenty of other worlds could have invented them.

don't get me wrong, it could very well be our world, but the evidence you give doesn't make that strong a case for it imo
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   Bale 

• Recruit

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 11 January 2011 - 12:12 AM, said:

welllll, that depends what period of time they've travelled to. wolves aren't extinct in our world. not in the slightest. unless they go extinct sometime in the future... but thats fantasy again and how could we tell if it is our world? also, saws aren't really that much of a technological advance. plenty of other worlds could have invented them.

don't get me wrong, it could very well be our world, but the evidence you give doesn't make that strong a case for it imo

I live in Virginia. According to some folks from around these here parts, there used to be wolves in the outlying hills. Centuries ago. No longer.

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:56 AM

View PostBale, on 11 January 2011 - 12:31 AM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 11 January 2011 - 12:12 AM, said:

I live in Virginia. According to some folks from around these here parts, there used to be wolves in the outlying hills. Centuries ago. No longer.

well that raises another issue. depending on where your from, there might or might not be wolves. of course in virginia there are no longer wolves, it's in the middle of a highly urbanized area, but in canada there's still plenty of unspoiled wilderness, and wolves are, if not common, at least not extinct. i dno, i just think it's a big leap to make on the small amount of evidence that scene gives us.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:22 AM

I actually remember thinking the same thing when i read this.
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

I think they travelled through time, not space.

#7 User is offline   Thel Akai 

• Corporal

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

It was certainly an industrialized world, and one with buffalos and not bhedrin.. it did look a bit like our world, but the difference is that it had ghosts of animals all over the place and our world don't have any ghosts (unless you believe in dualism). :D

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

I think SE's intent was a world analogous to the 'real world' in some respects, not an actual 'this is Earth' thing.

While it got a little fuzzy, i did enjoy that sequence. It gave Setoc a lot of interesting context.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

Yup, IMO they went into SEīs future version of Earth, same idea struck me during reading...and after forgettin during reread :D
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#10 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

View PostAbyss, on 11 January 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

I think SE's intent was a world analogous to the 'real world' in some respects, not an actual 'this is Earth' thing.

While it got a little fuzzy, i did enjoy that sequence. It gave Setoc a lot of interesting context.
It could have been Earth, but it could easily have been a parallel world with similar levels of apex predator extinction and industrial pollution. I don't think it was a future Wu, though, as there's little to no evidence I can think of in Erikson of magic allowing physical, as opposed to spiritual, travel in time within a world without recourse to an external Warren, i.e. it usually goes Wu - time-bending Warren - Wu, rather than Wu - Past/Future Wu. It's not even really time travel really, just inter-Warren time distortion.

This post has been edited by D'iversify: 19 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

I am the Onyx Wizards

#11 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

View PostD, on 19 January 2011 - 09:01 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 11 January 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

It could have been Earth, but it could easily have been a parallel world with similar levels of apex predator extinction and industrial pollution. I don't think it was a future Wu, though, as there's little to no evidence I can think of in Erikson of magic allowing physical, as opposed to spiritual, travel in time within a world without recourse to an external Warren, i.e. it usually goes Wu - time-bending Warren - Wu, rather than Wu - Past/Future Wu. It's not even really time travel really, just inter-Warren time distortion.

Attached File  1246025206435.jpg (11.01K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by dktorode: 19 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#12 User is offline   iRFNA 

• Lieutenant

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:51 PM

What about the eres'al? She be rapin' errbody through all of time. Sounds pretty physical.

#13 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:48 AM

but she's an anomaly, if Ruin can be believed, nobody knows how teh feck she does that shit

- Oscar Levant

#14 User is offline   chaosek 

• Sergeant

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:19 AM

Hmm, if wolves go extinct in the (Malazan) future and nature gets a beating presumably by humans, it makes you wonder which side the wolves of winter are on.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users