• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Likes:
    Malazan Book of the Fallen
    Wheel of Time
    Paintball
    Zombie Apocalypses
    Melee Weapons Combat
    Groundation (Jah Jah Know), google it...
    Marvel Comics
    Batman and Superman
    Throwing Knives
    Mel Gibson
    Grooveshark
    My Cutlasses

Dislikes:
    World of Warcraft
    Larping
    Vampires (and their Diaries)
    Romance (of any kind)
    Harry Potter (he's a dweeb)
    Elves (and Dwarves)
    Country Music
    Elves Playing Country Music (taylor swift)
  • The True North Strong and Free

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:15 AM

RIght near the end, in Malaz Bay, some guy gets reeled in off a fisherman's line, and springs awake and demands to be taken to Unta.
Do you have any theories?

The first thing that came to my mind was Ruthan Gudd. How amazing would it be to have him appear in Unta and rally some force to send aid to Tavore Paran in Kolanse by warren.
Another thought was perhaps it was Rillish, sent home by Devaleth, but that seems a dramatic way to travel by warren, waking up half dead in some fishing boat in Malaz Harbour does not sound a lot to me like the kind of transportation an Imperial Fist would be privy to.
Greymane perhaps? The description did not name him a remarkably big man, just a man. Thats why I lean towards Ruthan Gudd.
'lo there do i see my father. lo there so i see my mother and my sister and my brother. lo do they bid me to come to them and take my place, in the hallowed halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.'

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:22 AM

Rillish. The Stormriders took him there, then he made his way home. Yes, I thought it was cliched as all hell too.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:24 AM

Ditto. From Unta to his house where Talia, he, and his baby boy all come together to group hug.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:48 AM

i dont remember rillish talking to the stormriders tho...I thought it was graymane, but then why would he want to go to unta?
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#5 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:58 AM

nobody talked to the stormriders, at least not on screen, which honestly would have made the book better. rillish wants to go to unta becoz he is untan. talia and the small farm that we see him leave at the start of the book can't be far from there
edit: just realized that you were referring to when greymane was given the sword. even still.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 09 January 2011 - 03:01 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

Just restating upthread but it was definitely Rillish.

The how and why of it... it seems unlikely he was just carried there by mundane currents and whatever given how frikkin cold it was supposed to be, so I go with a Stormrider save, either as general gratitude for the Malazan invasion, or at Greymane's request.

It seems we're unlikely to get the specifics, altho i was surprised to see Rillish again post-RCG, so maybe he'll pop up in a future ICE book and fill in the blanks.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Iccarium 

• Recruit

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 January 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

Just restating upthread but it was definitely Rillish.

The how and why of it... it seems unlikely he was just carried there by mundane currents and whatever given how frikkin cold it was supposed to be, so I go with a Stormrider save, either as general gratitude for the Malazan invasion, or at Greymane's request.

It seems we're unlikely to get the specifics, altho i was surprised to see Rillish again post-RCG, so maybe he'll pop up in a future ICE book and fill in the blanks.

Because actually explaining stuff is not what ICE does :D

This post has been edited by Iccarium: 11 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

#8 User is offline   Quint 

• Recruit

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:26 AM

am i the only one who thought it was Hiam...

#9 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:43 AM

would hiam know where unta was?
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#10 User is offline   Quint 

• Recruit

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

probs not... when he jumped off the wall tho he did say he was gonna die but not for her, im not sure if he meant there and now or in the long run, as if he was going to seek revenge.

#11 User is offline   Raatchi 

• Corporal
  • Interests:booze.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

surely Rillish came back on the same boat/fleet as Suth? (though why the Malazan army didn't stay to finish the new conquest I couldn't fathom)

I vote for Greymane. He knocked down the stormwall so I reckoned the Stormriders saved him
"we've come on holiday by mistake"

#12 User is offline   Quint 

• Recruit

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:43 AM

nah greymane was definately seen by those guys in the ring under the water holding that sword. dead or alive i dont know

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

View PostQuint, on 13 January 2011 - 05:43 AM, said:

nah greymane was definately seen by those guys in the ring under the water holding that sword. dead or alive i dont know

Agreed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

View PostRaatchi, on 12 January 2011 - 10:05 AM, said:

surely Rillish came back on the same boat/fleet as Suth? (though why the Malazan army didn't stay to finish the new conquest I couldn't fathom)

I vote for Greymane. He knocked down the stormwall so I reckoned the Stormriders saved him

after the landslide, rillish somehow got within the sphere of the little girl avatar of the lady's power and ended up being pitched off the side of the cliff.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#15 User is offline   Raatchi 

• Corporal

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

@Quint: re-read that bit with the guys in the Ring and yeah, that sounds like Greymane. agreed.

But don't remember Rillish being pitched off a cliff, will re-read that bit again. I'd just assumed he went home with the rest of the expeditionary force.

#16 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

Yup, Rillish was knocked into the sea because he touched the girl who was possessed by the Lady, and got a bit supernaturally buggered, to put none too fine a point on it. He fell into the Fist Sea, and Peles got angry and went a bit beast-mode on the Chosen she was fighting.

And since he had been given back his family lands near Unta in return for returning to the army, it could probably be assumed it was Rillish - how the hell he floated all the way to Malaz Island, however, is another question entirely........
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#17 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 14 January 2011 - 03:04 PM, said:

Yup, Rillish was knocked into the sea because he touched the girl who was possessed by the Lady, and got a bit supernaturally buggered, to put none too fine a point on it. He fell into the Fist Sea, and Peles got angry and went a bit beast-mode on the Chosen she was fighting.

And since he had been given back his family lands near Unta in return for returning to the army, it could probably be assumed it was Rillish - how the hell he floated all the way to Malaz Island, however, is another question entirely........

He obviously floated north towards Dorik, got swept down that river into the Pirate's Sea, floated north some more, somehow avoiding the coast and going through the narrow strait there to enter Reacher's Ocean, then floating north-west, clearing or going round the Storin reef and finally washing up on Malaz Island. See? Totally plausible. :p Nah, I assume the Stormriders gave him a little push, directing him by said route or more likely just depositing him there by warren. That's a long time to not be conscious by regular travel. Since they couldn't know where he lived, only knew he was Malazan, and were probably still situated mostly around Reacher's Ocean and the Sea of Storms, I imagine they simply deposited him in the one place they had encountered the Malazans on land before - Malaz Island.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#18 User is offline   Raatchi 

• Corporal

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

i guess he must have had a map. a waterproof map. with ocean currents on it and everything

#19 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

Finished this last night and I think it was Rillish. The fisherman also indicates seeing something bright flash beneath the boat before Rillish pops up. He does'nt think it's a stormrider because it's " not the season".

The idea that it's Hiam is interesting, but what's tickling my pickle at the moment is the interrogation of Suth by Devaleth and her inquiry as to whether anyone actually touched the chest, not the girl. Before he topples over the edge Rillish's eyes roll and he mongs out. This could be due to him touching the chest and may come into play later. On a more sinister note WTF happened to Faro after he greased the priest ?

As Rel's claw presence on the expedition is there a chance he touched the chest, or even tampered with it ? There was a lot going on and anything could have happened. Devaleth's insistence on finding out exactly what happened may have only been for Peles' - im sure she had the hots for Rillish- benefit, however Faro was a sneaky bastard with an agenda and Gheven saying he still felt The Lady's presence may not have been just referring to Skinner and his chums doing the old switcheroo at The Tower.
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#20 User is offline   Onos 

• Fist

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

View Postmasan, on 14 January 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

Finished this last night and I think it was Rillish. The fisherman also indicates seeing something bright flash beneath the boat before Rillish pops up. He does'nt think it's a stormrider because it's " not the season".

The idea that it's Hiam is interesting, but what's tickling my pickle at the moment is the interrogation of Suth by Devaleth and her inquiry as to whether anyone actually touched the chest, not the girl. Before he topples over the edge Rillish's eyes roll and he mongs out. This could be due to him touching the chest and may come into play later. On a more sinister note WTF happened to Faro after he greased the priest ?

As Rel's claw presence on the expedition is there a chance he touched the chest, or even tampered with it ? There was a lot going on and anything could have happened. Devaleth's insistence on finding out exactly what happened may have only been for Peles' - im sure she had the hots for Rillish- benefit, however Faro was a sneaky bastard with an agenda and Gheven saying he still felt The Lady's presence may not have been just referring to Skinner and his chums doing the old switcheroo at The Tower.

Interesting thought I didnt come up with on my own that Rillish may now be a sleeper agent for the lady...

So either
A) Stormriders take him there in some form of gratitude and make for the happy cheesy ending
B ) The Lady drags him out of danger to return to his former life only to later be used for some 'evil' purpose since he touched the chest when no one was supposed to.

This post has been edited by Onos: 18 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users