• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stonewielder and Blood Follows Spoilers for BF! Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:45 AM

Isn't it just mentioned that it's 'decades ago'? If so 1167 (is that the year we're going with?) back to 1149 is still 18 years.

This post has been edited by MTS: 25 January 2011 - 04:46 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#22 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:53 AM

View PostMTS, on 25 January 2011 - 04:45 AM, said:

Isn't it just mentioned that it's 'decades ago'? If so 1167 (is that the year we're going with?) back to 1149 is still 18 years.

That is true, we might be able to squish the supposed 30 years since the first invasions into closer to 20 years and still have it work well. BF generally indicates that it's a decade since the Malazan invasion, but it's not only vague, but there could be slight differences between the timings of landing on Fist and Theft (though we should avoid anything drastic in that department if possible). Likewise, the quote from NoK is:

"...word from the south was one of ferocious local resistance, casualty rates high enough for official denial, and almost no advance made since the inital landings half a decade ago"

Which is also vague enough that it could just as easily be 7 years rather than 5.

I think I was going crazy and forgetting how far after BF SW is or something.

Amending my previous dates:

1111 - Emancipor born
1129 - Emancipor is 18, a soldier, battle of Estbanor's grief
1130 - Emancipor is 19, marries, begins sailing (twenty years as a sailor, during which his kids were born)
1147 - Initial landings in Theft and Fist (roughly half a decade before NoK, according to NoK)
1150 - Emancipor is 39, finishes sailing
1154 - GotM Prologue (Paran is 12)
1154 - NoK - The Return
1155 - First year of Laseen's rule
~1157ish - Greymane is court-martialled, Hemel takes over the Malazan forces on Fist (and Theft?), Rillish leaves Fist (said to be almost 10 years before SW)
1160 - BF - Emancipor is 49, he's been married about 30 years, his oldest kid is about 14, and he joins B&KB
1163 - GotM (Paran about 20)
1163/64 - MoI - B&KB&E in Darujhistan/Capustan
1164/65 - tHD - Emancipor is 53, has been with B&KB for 4 years, his son is about 18 (4 years after BF)
1167/68 - SW (20 years after the first landings?)

I'll have to double check the time references I've seen in SW so far and finish the re-read, but this looks pretty promising!

This post has been edited by D'rek: 25 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#23 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:05 AM

Yes, let's forget the mention in HoC of Greymane possibly being 'recalled' from the Korelri campaign. :p

Other than that though, looks good. Dunno if Greymane being court-martialled (with Hemet 'Et Kalal taking over) and Rillish leaving would mesh though. The campaign went on for a while after Greymane left, and him being there ten years seems odd to me, as that only leaves him with the sword for ten more years. IIRC it was only until Yuell became commander that the Sixth mutinied.

This post has been edited by MTS: 25 January 2011 - 07:08 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#24 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

View PostMTS, on 25 January 2011 - 07:05 AM, said:

Yes, let's forget the mention in HoC of Greymane possibly being 'recalled' from the Korelri campaign. :p

Speculation by uninformed soldiers!

View PostMTS, on 25 January 2011 - 07:05 AM, said:

Other than that though, looks good. Dunno if Greymane being court-martialled (with Hemet 'Et Kalal taking over) and Rillish leaving would mesh though. The campaign went on for a while after Greymane left, and him being there ten years seems odd to me, as that only leaves him with the sword for ten more years. IIRC it was only until Yuell became commander that the Sixth mutinied.

Well, we don't know how long the Imperial Governor Hemet was in charge for. The mutiny could've been only a few months later. I think Fist Udara, between Hemet and Yeull, could've been part of the mutinied Sixth, as well, rather than starting with Yeull, but again she could've been in charge for a really short time.

I think there is deliberately some confusion regarding who was in on the mutinee. The court-martial was rushed, with flimsy or faked evidence, and I think Rillish speculates that they might have already been planning the mutiny at that time. Rillish was sent back with evidence that the command of the 6th was going rogue. That could have been right after Greymane's court-martial, or a while later, hard to judge.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users