Malazan Empire: Knife Of Dreams - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Knife Of Dreams

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

So I started this yesterday and I'm almost halfway through the 96Page Prologue (what is it with these long ass prologues?)Wasxn't the prologue in tEotW like 10 pages or sumthin?

Anyways, I digress. So far it's pretty good (read: leaps and bounds better than tPoD and CoT). I'm so pleased at this point to be able to hate Suroth so fully and completely that having Semirhage put her in her place repeatedly and then I get to watch her reaction to the Empress and her family and nobles and friends are dead...and your country is at civil war...was priceless.

Is it me or is Galad a little TOO good for his own good?

That's the only comments I have so far. I am quite chuffed to be so close to being caught up in this series.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   SilenceYourTongueAndWitness 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 December 2010 - 01:45 PM, said:

So I started this yesterday and I'm almost halfway through the 96Page Prologue (what is it with these long ass prologues?)Wasxn't the prologue in tEotW like 10 pages or sumthin?

Anyways, I digress. So far it's pretty good (read: leaps and bounds better than tPoD and CoT). I'm so pleased at this point to be able to hate Suroth so fully and completely that having Semirhage put her in her place repeatedly and then I get to watch her reaction to the Empress and her family and nobles and friends are dead...and your country is at civil war...was priceless.

Is it me or is Galad a little TOO good for his own good?

That's the only comments I have so far. I am quite chuffed to be so close to being caught up in this series.

Theres so so much i wanna say here, READ FASTER FRIEND lol. to avoid spoilers i will say NOTHING muahahahahaha
"Think you got a spine, Corporal?"
"Spine? I'm a f-f-f-fucking tree, and you ain't the wind to b-b-b-blow me down. " (Master Sgt Pores to Corporal Tarr)

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

Haha, working on it. Once I get into the actual chapters of these books I normally plow through them (if they aren't tPoD or CoT...LOL!) My plan is to be free to read TGS and TOM (both of which I received for Xmas) in January.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

Galad...do you mean he's too good in the moral sense, or with the sword? Both ideas have been developed for some time now...but Galad is explored a little more thoroughly in book 13.

As the series goes on, RJ starts to use the prologues mainly for important side plots. It's not that there aren't any side plots in the main parts of the books, but the prologue bits are typically less connected to the main characters. Ituralde, for example. He becomes very important later on, for obvious reasons. The Black Ajah hunters are another prologue staple; they're not really connected to either Elaida or Egwene for the most part, so in the prologue they go.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

View PostTerez, on 28 December 2010 - 06:13 PM, said:

Galad...do you mean he's too good in the moral sense, or with the sword? Both ideas have been developed for some time now...but Galad is explored a little more thoroughly in book 13.

I meant his moral compass is totally north, even if it would be optimum to be otherwise.

Nearly done the prologue now, and I am surprised to find the Darrell Sweet cover image depicts something that occurs in said prologue and not the main book. Interesting. I can't recall if any of the other books do this...

Still, nearly 100 pages in and KoD is doing just fine clicking along at a much better pace than...CoT *shiver*....

:)

#6 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:05 AM

Didn't you finish it yet? :wub:

There it is.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

View PostTerez, on 03 January 2011 - 08:05 AM, said:

Didn't you finish it yet? :wub:

Haha, no, not yet. I've got a few books on the go right now. Trying to chew through all of them. I'll let you know further thoughts as they occur to me though. B)

#8 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'm just rushing you so you can join us in harassing Brandon on Twitter. Do you even use Twitter?

There it is.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

View PostTerez, on 05 January 2011 - 04:56 PM, said:

I'm just rushing you so you can join us in harassing Brandon on Twitter. Do you even use Twitter?

I have a twitter acct for Iceberg Ink. You can look for it on there if you like...I have Sanderson on my twitter. His comments on some of the stuff on his re-read is awesome!

Yeah, I am SO aware that I am only like 2 1/2 books behind now....getting very exciting again!

#10 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 January 2011 - 06:10 PM, said:

View PostTerez, on 05 January 2011 - 04:56 PM, said:

I have a twitter acct for Iceberg Ink. You can look for it on there if you like...I have Sanderson on my twitter. His comments on some of the stuff on his re-read is awesome!

Yeah, I am SO aware that I am only like 2 1/2 books behind now....getting very exciting again!

Cool, I will find you and follow you. I needs more people to follow, but I get frustrated with following people who talk about a bunch of stuff I don't care about. Basically I use it for WoT only. I don't mind so much the talk about books I don't care about, though. I've been tempted to unfollow Tor a few times because they spam your feed at least once daily on weekdays with tons of tweets about various things, but there are WoT nuggets in that, so... Anyway, I wouldn't recommend following me until after you're done because I don't ever think about spoilers. I just blab about WoT indiscriminately.

Here's a funny non-spoiler exchange from yesterday (irt the locked Tar Valon thread) (notables: Matt Hatch is webmaster of Theoryland, Richard Fife is a novelist and tor.com blogger, and Felix is the raving lunatic of the WoT fandom):

Twitter said:

Brandon on Twitter - 4 January 2011

Yes, early WoT is very Tolkien influenced. But several original things really stood out to me when I was younger.

Brandon

1) The magic. 2) Strong female protagonists. 3) A woman 'wizard' figure who was far more human than others I'd seen. 4) Tam lives.

Bryce Nielsen

What about Polgara? :p

Brandon

Polgara was awesome. Belgarath was pretty cool too, but Moiraine always feels slightly more real than either one to me.

Brandon

But that's modern Brandon. Teenage Brandon might have thought differently.

tadbo

The females in The Wheel of Time are among the most two dimensional in the history of fantasy.

Brandon

I disagree. Case in point: Tolkien's female protagonists. (Which was the comparison I was making.)

Brandon

But even beyond that, you have to remember, this is a society with some skewed gender relationships because of the way magic works.

Brandon

But Moiraine is hardly 2-d. Neither is Nynaeve. They can be annoying, yes, but that's not the same as 2-d.

tadbo

They scheme, they argue, they tug on their skirts and stamp their feet, or they fall at Rand's feet. Really?

Brandon

Aviendha is very distinctive. Tuon is very distinctive. Min is very distinctive. Many of the Aes Sedai act as you say, but...

Brandon

...I see this as an intentional effect of the society they live in.

Zeerak Waseem

Don't you get annoyed with the females in WoT? The female lead I prefer is Aviendha, the rest are full of themselves.

Brandon

Oh, I didn't say they didn't annoy me at times. I said they were strong, and I'll add that they are interesting.

tadbo

Final note. I would argue that Jordan's female protagonists are MAIN characters, whereas Tolkien's are mainly supporting.

Brandon

The Tolkien point is valid. However, remember what started this conversation. I was saying things about the WoT that impressed me.

Brandon

One was a large cast of female main characters, something a lot of fantasy by men I'd read was lacking.

Terez

WoT females are caricaturish, sometimes stereotypical, but not 2-d. (This from a female.)

tadbo

Yes, caricatures. A better description than 2-d.

Brandon

Well, different people read things differently. If WoT's women didn't work for you, I understand why, though I don't feel the same.

Brandon

You're not the only one to feel that way.

Terez

The fact that I see them as caricatures helps me to enjoy them as characters more. It's RJ's own type of dry humor.

Brandon

I view them more of products of a society where social norms are different, and women have something 'machismo'-like.

Brandon

It makes them act similar in places, even though when you see into their souls, there is something deeper.

Terez

IMO this is also true, but the caricature part is an important aspect of accepting ALL WoT characters as they are.

Terez

They, like the story itself, are ubertropes. There is more to them than that, just as there is more to the story.

Felix

It's as if RJ's sense of humor was written for a theater company on stage. Bombastic, perhaps?

tadbo

I don't know if I ever saw it as 'dry humor'. The Aes Sedai scared the crap out of me in high school.

Terez

Well, maybe now that you're a big boy... :p RJ said he'd rather hunt leopards...

tadbo

True enough. XD

Terez

I mean, have you SEEN the map of Tar Valon? It's supposed to be funny, people. And serious at the same time, of course.

James Furlong

Haha! Just clicked on, never noticed THAT before. Hoho!

HBFFerreira

LOL Never noticed it before either.

Karen Baskins

LOL! In nearly 20 years of reading WoT, I never took notice of the Tar Valon map. Thank you for the laugh. I needed that. :-)

Brandon

I've wondered about the map for Tar Valon. That..well, that can't be an accident. I've never asked Team Jordan, though.

Brandon

Needless to say, it wasn't something I noticed when I was a teen.

Terez

Someone asked RJ about it. Sort of. His answer was hilarious. http://bit.ly/g9vV0O

RJ quote:

Eventually Mr. Jordan turned to his quest of finding females that wanted some questions answered and got a good one when a lady asked why the most powerful women in the world get their power in a pale, white shaft. The answer was "If you can't grasp the symbolism, my dear… Because I thought about having them have their center of power be a hole in the ground and I thought it wasn't really going to be as significant. It wasn't going to stand out and have people say 'Wow, Gee… look at that on the horizon' You sorta have to walk to the edge and say 'Welp, don't wanna fall off into that, now do you?' "

Richard Fife

Ya know, for some odd reason, I never really /saw/ the map of Tar Valon. Now I'll never unsee it...

Terez

Indeed, it cannot be unseen. :p

Matt Hatch

...wow, this really changes how I view the siege, harbor, and the iron chain becoming cuendillar.

Terez

You are such a perv, boss.

Matt Hatch

Showed my wife the map. Her immediate reaction: "Oh, Jim Rigney." Big smile.

Brandon

You'd never seen that before?

Terez

He had. Was just inspired by the moment to show it to his wife. And he'd never seen the quote. :D

Matt Hatch

I'd seen it...it was a while back; I remember thinking "really???" This reminded me and the quote made it hilarious.

Terez

Could give a whole new meaning to 'Rand had daydreamed over Master al'Vere's old map...'

Terez

'...half the boys in Emond's Field had daydreamed over it.'

I got a bunch of followers out of that little exchange, including Brandon. I'm still squee'ing about that like a silly fangirl (hence this post among others). The timing cracked me up (he followed me right after I linked to the RJ quote), but I have to point out that it was a cumulative effect in his case probably. I have been trying to impress him with my cleverness for some time now...

There it is.

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

that's way cool about him following you. I was actually involved in the first bit of that twitter convo and commented...bout the female wizards cause I love Moiraine so much....

Yeah, when I read that book and showed the map to my gf's sister, and she INSTANTLY said "Dirty!" LOL

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

#12 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, sadly I don't catch a lot of the replies to Brandon's posts because I don't see them unless he responds, or unless they @ me (which is, of course, rare). Just added a bit:

Twitter said:

Nicholas Brown
To the blind... what am I seeing? I see a fish or a submarine. Is there something else?
Brandon
Hm. How to do this without going places I don't care to go... Maybe a link will suffice. http://bit.ly/gMSLt6

Nice way to end it. :D

There it is.

#13 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

I started used Twitter specifically to follow Sanderson's tweets. Really enjoying the #wotrr stuff, even got a comment in there of mine about the names being too realistic (though I think he thought I was being serious with the Blixbop, ah well). Anyway, I'm monkeysandles, but there's not a lot going on so don't get your hopes up :D
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#14 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

haha, that was you? Awesome. I remember thinking...Blixbop? WTF is this dude ON? lol..

There it is.

#15 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Seriously though, I've never liked the realistic names thing. I know the reason but it's just so... dull. I've always wondered if Rand was originally called Randal Thor and his editor made him change it.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

View PostYellow, on 05 January 2011 - 07:45 PM, said:

I'm monkeysandles,

-Followed.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

View PostYellow, on 05 January 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

Seriously though, I've never liked the realistic names thing. I know the reason but it's just so... dull. I've always wondered if Rand was originally called Randal Thor and his editor made him change it.

There is so much win in this sentence. LMAO!!

baaaahaaaaa...Randal Thor. LOL

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

Also on the names topic: I suggested that when and if my gf and I have kids we could name a girl Nynaeve....and was not only roundly rebuffed, but she was like "Stop trying to name future children after fantasy characters!" LOL I am holding Moiraine in reserve though I don't have high hopes she'll go for that one either.

LOL

In all seriousness though, I dunno if I could ever seriously name my kid after a fantasy character.

Maybe Randal Thor. LOL!!

#19 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

lol, there's another website I go to called Piano Society, and I met a hardcore WoT fan there (though he's not the type to get into discussing the books online). Anyway, his kids are named Matrim, Therin, Aryth, and Moiraine. :D

There it is.

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

View PostTerez, on 05 January 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

lol, there's another website I go to called Piano Society, and I met a hardcore WoT fan there (though he's not the type to get into discussing the books online). Anyway, his kids are named Matrim, Therin, Aryth, and Moiraine. :D

Dude, that's awesome.

LOL

I actually DO know a couple who named their son Bran, after Bran Stark from ASOIAF, but that's as close as I've heard about fantasy-named children.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users