Malazan Empire: Side Jobs is my favorite Dresden book of all time. OF ALL TIME! - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Side Jobs is my favorite Dresden book of all time. OF ALL TIME!

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

Finally got around to reading Side Jobs over Christmas and what a pleasure it was.

I'll not lie, after becoming a die hard fan of the Dresden series, Changes - and Turn coat before it to a lesser extent - had let me down a bit and my enthusiasm for the series had lowered. But Side Jobs certainly reminded me why I like the series so much.

For some reason the small novelette type of story actually fits Butchers style very well. He's sort of forced to get right down to it with out all the build up which works fine in my opinion.

I'd only read a few of the older stories so most of the book was new to me.

I think "It's my Birthday, too" was my favorite story of the lot. Harry and Molly drive to a Mall to hand Thomas a present and get into a fight with a couple of Black Court Vamps. The thing that really got me with that story, besides a great fight, was the meeting with the Shoe Elves. I can't remember when I last laughed that hard reading a book. It's these little nuggets where Butcher takes old fairy tales and myths and incorporates them so well into his universe that the series really shines.

Generally I liked the addition of several new faces and names to the world building. The Grendelkin, the frog people, The Bassaria Goddess, The Oblivion war, etc. Lots of good stuff in there. I was also wondering about the reference to Billy and Georgias wedding in an earlier book.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:25 AM

I rather liked how Billy and Georgia's relationship from engagement through wedding to 'expecting' advances through many of the stories.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

You just gotta get "Even Hand" too, more goodness guaranteed.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

I actually meant to break down the books content for discussion but I was too lazy originally, so lets have at it:

A RESTORATION OF FAITH: I'd already read this one along with Vignette via Butchers forum. I like it very much. He gives it a lot of criticism but I don't see the big difference in skill or style compared to the newer stuff.

My favorite thing is when Butcher picks up old myths and legends and fairytales and incorporates them into this Urban Fantasy world of his. I loved the notion of Trolls existing and really living in or around bridges. That they have a supernatural right to naughty girls via the Unseelee accords. And that trolls apparently are made up of lots of even smaller trolls.

I also thought that the story of "Faith" was a touching story all of its own.

Among all the stories in the book this one is one of my favorites.

I wonder what ever happened to Nick and Ragged Angel Investigations. Seeing as Butcher has never touched down upon how that relationship ended I can't help but wonder if it may have ended badly.

VIGNETTE: It's a nice little glimpse of Harry and Bob having fun, but not much more.

SOMETHING BORROWED: This was a good story. Can't remember which book it was in where Dresden mentioned that the Winter Court had made a move at Billy and Georgia but I always wondered what that was about, so this was enlightening.

What I really liked in this one was that we got one of Dresdens patented tongue lashings. I love it when he gets all annoyed and lets his mouth get the better of him or any one else in his vicinity. The exchange with Billy Stepmom had me guffawing.

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY, TOO: Probably my favorite story.

I liked that we got another look at the Black Court vamps. From the look of it, even the low level BC Vamps are way more scary than the Red court or White court. No wonder they were such a threat in the olden days.

My favorite bit was getting to meet the shoe cobbs. This was Butcher at his best. The description of the cobbs affection for shoes and their terror when Dresden threatened to dump the shoes was gold. I would love more of this stuff.

And as always the interaction between Thomas and Harry is heartwarming in all its bro love glory.

HEOROT: Another good one.

This was a straight up info dump for Gard which I guess was foreshadowing that we were destined to get some more info (In changes). Gard, when you get in under the armor, proves to be a very likeable albeit distanced character.

I thought the story was a bit too reminiscent of "Something borrowed" when you'd just read it a hand full of pages earlier, and the story of the Grendelkin could have used a bit more creativity, but over all it was cool. It was nice meeting another ancient horror and seeing how out of class that kind of creatures leaves Dresden.

I think my favorite moment was when Gard went all "VALKYRIAN BESERKER SMASH". The desciption of her roar and the Grendelkins answering roar was awesome. And Mouse reaction was perfect.

DAY OFF: Funny little story that could actually have been a bit more interesting.

I loved how the chaos just kept mounting but I must admit, what really had my interest was that bunch of amateur witches that had a beef with Dresden. I think that bunch could actually have been fun meeting in a regular size story. I really wanted to see them shit bricks if/when Dresden lost his temper and threw a fire ball at them.

BACK UP: ohh A Thomas centered story. Interesting.

I know Dresden only had a certain amount of pages to play with, but when we finally had the oppertunity I would have liked to have learned more about Thomas and his hunger, likewise some nods to the Erlking could also have been interesting.

That said, I liked the concept of the Oblivion war and how it is actually the complete opposite angle to Wizards publication of the Black Courts weaknesses. If I'm not completely wrong these Stygians are the first "lizard" people we have met.

THE WARRIOR: A bit too cute punchline for my liking, but still a good story.

It was nice to see the ugly side to the war being waged by the church. Loved seeing Michael back in action. I was some what surprised to see him up and around though. From what he went through on the island I would have expected him to have been wheel chair bound and more damaged. And yet, I can't really say that I disapprove. The big guy deserves his retirement.

Had some great moments as well:

Loved the demonstration of just how good he was in melee combat though. Imagine him in his prime.

The scene where he loses his temper in priests private quarters and both the father and Dresden are taken aback at Michaels profanity.

The last scene where Dresden demands payment from Uriel was gold.

LAST CALL: Silly story, but still an interesting one.

I actually got a bit curious at one point where Molly examines Macs beer and finds among other things a compulsion that makes the beer more enjoyable and urges the drinker to buy more. While the spell could just be Bassarias doing, I would have loved the outrage of Mac actually using magic to addict people to his beer. I always thought all the praise was a bit... fishy.

Anyway. Loved the notion of the drinking gods actually still being around and active. I would like to hear more from this angle.

LOVE HURTS: Didn't really like this one.

It felt like a cheap play to get Murphy and Dresden to hook up. It fely way cheaper after having read Changes.

Also, it was a bit too Dr Evil a scheme for a vampire I think.

AFTERMATH: Ahh the story we were all waiting for. I could have used the story half a year ago though.

I loved seeing Murphy's world view and her approach to handling super natural danger. Sort of demonstrates why a swarm of pissed of mortals is something to fear even for the biggest baddy.

I have to say, this little side story had potential. What were these frog people up to? Is there supernatural civilizations on the bottom of the sea? Cthulhu!? IA IA!

Man I really can not wait to see what the hell happens in Ghost Story.

I wasn't fond of Changes, but this collection of short stories had really got me back on track.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users