Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

About clash in tent

#1 User is offline   Severian 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:28 AM

hi, after dassem wounded in the tent while temper and ferrule fighting claws temper got a knife and tried to stab dassem why did he do that?

#2 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

Because Dassem reflexes to to danger are able to kick in even if unconscious. It was the only way to wake him up
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#3 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

Exactly. Weakened as they both were, they couldn't take on all those Claws by themselves; they needed Dassem to wake up, and it was the quickest way to do it.

This post has been edited by MTS: 22 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

Because Dassem is badder than the whole army, and stabbing him to death would only serve to wake him up angry from a deep sleep, and Temper wanted a fair fight = 3 vs. army

See earlier thread devoted to this subject, as well
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:35 PM

link fu: http://forum.malazan...?showtopic=8841
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

Actually as far as I recall, the theory was that Hood sent Dassem back to life.

The last thing he wanted was Dassem dying and showing up on his doorstep in ascendant ghost form in super pissed mode. So, when Dassem was about to die, he got bumped.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

i still go with Dassem being so opposed to Death that he has a reflex power-up to avoid it when Temper stabs at him.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Yeah, the notion that Dassem would resist his soul going to Hoods realm, was the other theory. I guess the notion that Dassem insta healed himself is more probable.

#9 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

Well, it's either Hood intervened a la Whiskeyjack's leg, Dassem is so opposed to death he gets a 'reflex power-up', or it's just plain old preternatural reflex. I'm willing to go with plain-old reflex - no power-ups involved - since Possum (Jade?) screams to stop Temper immediately beforehand. There's enough time inbetween that Temper gets hit by a Claw, so Dassem had time to react to that. Doesn't need to be anything mystical.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#10 User is offline   Severian 

• Corporal

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

İt seemed to me that dassem Has a skill against sneaky attacks granted by Hood maybe?

#11 User is offline   Luzburg 

• Master Exploder

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

Severian, on 26 December 2010 - 02:01 PM, said:

İt seemed to me that dassem Has a skill against sneaky attacks granted by Hood maybe?

Not likely seeing as thats exactly what put him there. I presume could be explained by the fact he was totally single minded in attacking the Grand Champion that he couldn't detect the claw attack. OR he ascended in the tent!!!

#12 User is offline   Mock 

• Recruit

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:10 AM

I kind of think that this IS the moment that Dassem ascends, although Temper's cryptic comments about Dassem "fluttering at death's door" (284) and having "sworn then rejected" (284) his soul to Hood complicate things. It almost seems like Surly is doing her best to keep Dassem barely alive. There is also something about the scene where Ferrule, Dassem and Temper part after their journey that suggests Dassem has already changed.

#13 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:41 AM

Nah... Dassem didn't ascend in the tent.

Also, Surly keeping Dassem barely alive served her greater plan. If Dassem would have died outright, the loyal soldiery (who witnessed the "Sword" defeat Surgen Ress in a battle that will be remembered in song and legend) would have mutinied. In other words, Surly gave the impression that she was doing all she could to heal Dassem, while all along the plan was for him to die. Temper and Ferrule ruined that plan.

#14 User is offline   Jingospice 

• Corporal

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

Im almost positive that Dassem ascended way before the tent. I agree that his powers were granted by Hood, but he turned his back on Hood after Hood stole his daughter (does this mean killed?). Thats why Dassem has so much beef with Hood.
Quote from MOI
"Dassem Ultor, who was broken by Hood's taking of his daughter at the time of the Chaining......Dassem his champion - Dessembrae- had grown to rival his power"

So its clear that Dassem was already an Ascendant before this battle. I think his ascendant powers just allowed him to realize that he was in danger.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

I have zero doubt Dassem was already an ascendent at that point in the tent, since the split from Hood had already happened.
That said, i think he had not yet advanced to god-status. I think 'Dessembrae' came later.

#16 User is offline   Ben Delat 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

There is more to Dassems ascendancy than his relation to Hood.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Bubba: 08 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

#17 User is offline   iixiong 

• Recruit

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:28 AM

Spoilers maybe

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Abyss: 09 January 2012 - 03:08 PM
Reason for edit: LATER BOOK SPOILERS MODGOD'D OUT OF EXISTANCE

#18 User is offline   Ben Delat 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

Spoiler

In the end I think it can be majority agreement it was the impending danger of being stabbed that evoked Dassem's instincts/reflexes to wake him up in the tent. Whether they were mortal,ascendant or god-like reflexes can be argued forever, in the end I dont think it mattered, any of the three from mortal dassem to god dessembrae would have reacted to it, so it doesn't matter which stage he was at at that point IMO.

This post has been edited by Ben Delat: 09 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users