• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wikileaks VS the World's Governments. The digital David vs Goliath

#61 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

Michael Moore has come forth in support of Assange, which really isn't much of a surprise I guess;

http://www.michaelmo...ting-bail-money

Why I'm Posting Bail Money for Julian Assange
Yesterday, in the Westminster Magistrates Court in London, the lawyers for WikiLeaks co-founder Julian Assange presented to the judge a document from me stating that I have put up $20,000 of my own money to help bail Mr. Assange out of jail.

Furthermore, I am publicly offering the assistance of my website, my servers, my domain names and anything else I can do to keep WikiLeaks alive and thriving as it continues its work to expose the crimes that were concocted in secret and carried out in our name and with our tax dollars.

We were taken to war in Iraq on a lie. Hundreds of thousands are now dead. Just imagine if the men who planned this war crime back in 2002 had had a WikiLeaks to deal with. They might not have been able to pull it off. The only reason they thought they could get away with it was because they had a guaranteed cloak of secrecy. That guarantee has now been ripped from them, and I hope they are never able to operate in secret again.

So why is WikiLeaks, after performing such an important public service, under such vicious attack? Because they have outed and embarrassed those who have covered up the truth. The assault on them has been over the top:

**Sen. Joe Lieberman says WikiLeaks "has violated the Espionage Act."

**The New Yorker's George Packer calls Assange "super-secretive, thin-skinned, [and] megalomaniacal."

**Sarah Palin claims he's "an anti-American operative with blood on his hands" whom we should pursue "with the same urgency we pursue al Qaeda and Taliban leaders."

**Democrat Bob Beckel (Walter Mondale's 1984 campaign manager) said about Assange on Fox: "A dead man can't leak stuff ... there's only one way to do it: illegally shoot the son of a bitch."

**Republican Mary Matalin says "he's a psychopath, a sociopath ... He's a terrorist."

**Rep. Peter A. King calls WikiLeaks a "terrorist organization."

And indeed they are! They exist to terrorize the liars and warmongers who have brought ruin to our nation and to others. Perhaps the next war won't be so easy because the tables have been turned -- and now it's Big Brother who's being watched ... by us!

WikiLeaks deserves our thanks for shining a huge spotlight on all this. But some in the corporate-owned press have dismissed the importance of WikiLeaks ("they've released little that's new!") or have painted them as simple anarchists ("WikiLeaks just releases everything without any editorial control!"). WikiLeaks exists, in part, because the mainstream media has failed to live up to its responsibility. The corporate owners have decimated newsrooms, making it impossible for good journalists to do their job. There's no time or money anymore for investigative journalism. Simply put, investors don't want those stories exposed. They like their secrets kept ... as secrets.

I ask you to imagine how much different our world would be if WikiLeaks had existed 10 years ago. Take a look at this photo. That's Mr. Bush about to be handed a "secret" document on August 6th, 2001. Its heading read: "Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US." And on those pages it said the FBI had discovered "patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings." Mr. Bush decided to ignore it and went fishing for the next four weeks.

But if that document had been leaked, how would you or I have reacted? What would Congress or the FAA have done? Was there not a greater chance that someone, somewhere would have done something if all of us knew about bin Laden's impending attack using hijacked planes?

But back then only a few people had access to that document. Because the secret was kept, a flight school instructor in San Diego who noticed that two Saudi students took no interest in takeoffs or landings, did nothing. Had he read about the bin Laden threat in the paper, might he have called the FBI? (Please read this essay by former FBI Agent Coleen Rowley, Time's 2002 co-Person of the Year, about her belief that had WikiLeaks been around in 2001, 9/11 might have been prevented.)

Or what if the public in 2003 had been able to read "secret" memos from Dick Cheney as he pressured the CIA to give him the "facts" he wanted in order to build his false case for war? If a WikiLeaks had revealed at that time that there were, in fact, no weapons of mass destruction, do you think that the war would have been launched -- or rather, wouldn't there have been calls for Cheney's arrest?

Openness, transparency -- these are among the few weapons the citizenry has to protect itself from the powerful and the corrupt. What if within days of August 4th, 1964 -- after the Pentagon had made up the lie that our ship was attacked by the North Vietnamese in the Gulf of Tonkin -- there had been a WikiLeaks to tell the American people that the whole thing was made up? I guess 58,000 of our soldiers (and 2 million Vietnamese) might be alive today.

Instead, secrets killed them.

For those of you who think it's wrong to support Julian Assange because of the sexual assault allegations he's being held for, all I ask is that you not be naive about how the government works when it decides to go after its prey. Please -- never, ever believe the "official story." And regardless of Assange's guilt or innocence (see the strange nature of the allegations here), this man has the right to have bail posted and to defend himself. I have joined with filmmakers Ken Loach and John Pilger and writer Jemima Khan in putting up the bail money -- and we hope the judge will accept this and grant his release today.

Might WikiLeaks cause some unintended harm to diplomatic negotiations and U.S. interests around the world? Perhaps. But that's the price you pay when you and your government take us into a war based on a lie. Your punishment for misbehaving is that someone has to turn on all the lights in the room so that we can see what you're up to. You simply can't be trusted. So every cable, every email you write is now fair game. Sorry, but you brought this upon yourself. No one can hide from the truth now. No one can plot the next Big Lie if they know that they might be exposed.

And that is the best thing that WikiLeaks has done. WikiLeaks, God bless them, will save lives as a result of their actions. And any of you who join me in supporting them are committing a true act of patriotism. Period.

I stand today in absentia with Julian Assange in London and I ask the judge to grant him his release. I am willing to guarantee his return to court with the bail money I have wired to said court. I will not allow this injustice to continue unchallenged.

P.S. You can read the statement I filed today in the London court here.

P.P.S. If you're reading this in London, please go support Julian Assange and WikiLeaks at a demonstration at 1 PM today, Tuesday the 14th, in front of the Westminster court.

#62 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:56 AM

On a related theme that encompasses the wikileaks situation, did anyone in the UK just watch John Pilger's new film " The War you don't see" on ITV tonight ?

It is essentially a damning critique of the modern media with references to WW1, WW2, Iraq, Afghanistan and the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. It also includes a very interesting interview with Assange some of which is included in the link below. Pilger basically grills the modern media (inc the head of the BBC and ITV's news dept, Dan Rather, Rageh Omar etc) and accuses them of a sort of fear driven sycophancy and embedded style of media representation that merely mirrors the official line.

Whilst acknowledging subjectivity and objectivity within the realm of "news reporting", and feeling safe in the knowledge that I am in no way naieve to the way the world works, after watching this I was left with feelings of incredulity, anger and a sort of frustrating shame.

It is grim watching and unsurprisingly not favourable towards the US, UK and Israel. That said however, I cannot recommend it highly enough and it should be required viewing for anyone wanting to to sing the merits of FOX News !

I'm sure it will be available in full before too long, but until then.....

Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#63 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:24 AM

Yah. while it's no shock that news providers froth at the mouth for war and war-makers, it's still heart-breaking then mind-numbing how it iterates time and again with such willful stupidity and downright evil.

On a lighter note, here's a look at the apparent WIkileaks headquarters:

http://www.archdaily...e-of-wikileaks/

Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#64 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:46 PM

ummmm....ahhhhhh........whaaaaat? wut?

That settles it, Assange and his goons are evil villains who are out to take over the world!

Otherwise they wouldn't live in a supervillain lair
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#65 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

James Raynor: "It's funny... It seems like yesterday Arcturus was the idealistic rebel crusader. Now he's the law, and we're the criminals."

So... here's some news on Assange and threatening informants.

Disappointed much?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#66 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:59 AM

Arise! Arise Dead Thread from your long winter!

Julian Assange was arrested today by the British Government after Assange had been living at the Equadorian Embassy for years.

What happens next?

Five years ago I would have been rooting for Assange but now a day's it seems like WikiLeaks is less of a champion of Truth and more of a political vehicle.

#67 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:50 AM

Yep he's a Trump supporting Russian puppet douchenozzle so he deserves whatever is coming.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#68 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:06 AM

I was reading the news and I had to stop and try to remember if Assange is supposed to be good or bad. So he's bad now, right? From a liberal person perspective that is. Rape guilt aside.

It's not easy being a bleeding heart liberal. I need a list.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#69 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

Not a huge shock. Ecuador has been tryin to shove him out the door for a year. They just realized it would look bad politically in their future dealings if they didn't honour their promise of asylum. So they signaled, thy made life complicated, they placed restrictions and then looked for the excuse to say he violated them and revoked it.

That said I don't really feel anything or have an opinion. I forget the details of the rape allegations (but was never overly inclined to think it was a government conspiracy).

#70 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 11 April 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

I was reading the news and I had to stop and try to remember if Assange is supposed to be good or bad. So he's bad now, right? From a liberal person perspective that is. Rape guilt aside.

It's not easy being a bleeding heart liberal. I need a list.

He's always been pretty bad, depending on who you are.

Wikileaks was one of the first groups to really latch onto 'this is the truth, look what we are showing you, everyone else is lying' to drive their narrative. This whole Q-Anon and even 'Fake News' is a response to how successful wikileaks was in driving their narrative in the way they did.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#71 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

Was that what they were doing? You can argue that they were deciding what to expose and what to conceal, but the stuff they did leak was damning material, like the civilian casualty stuff.

WikiLeaks weren't leaking fake documents (as far as I am aware) so they're kinda the opposite of fake news. They're raw news. Tons of unfiltered unprocessed information.

#72 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:08 PM

Lol @ Keaton as Assange on SNL!

Is there a bathroom around here? Because I really have to take a wiki leak.

Priceless!Posted ImagePosted Image

#73 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

View PostAptorian, on 11 April 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

Was that what they were doing? You can argue that they were deciding what to expose and what to conceal, but the stuff they did leak was damning material, like the civilian casualty stuff.

WikiLeaks weren't leaking fake documents (as far as I am aware) so they're kinda the opposite of fake news. They're raw news. Tons of unfiltered unprocessed information.

Yes that is what they were doing. They were deciding what to expose and what to conceal, to drive their narrative.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users