Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oponn a bit confused

#1 User is offline   nitroholic 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:45 AM

i never really understood what was Oponn's role in Bonehunters was. What were they doing? and what happened to them?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:44 AM

Another word for Oponn when they get involved in convergences could be Chaos and Mayhem.

They simply intended for it to get as bloody as possible for their own amusement (or some more constructive purpose that is not revealed).

They were going to get the Bonehunters destroyed if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately for them, they'd chosen a very grumpy and very powerful mage's tower as their their vantage point, which got them a very solid boot to their behinds, Team Rocket style.

It's actually disappointed me how little Erikson has utilised Oponn in the books. As a force and as entertainment, you would think that Oponn could not have helped themselves from getting involved in the various events across the Malazan Empire. Of course you could argue that Oponn as an aspect is always involved in any outcome, anywhere and every where, but I would have loved to have seen Oponn get directly involved and have some more screen time. But then again, maybe Paran or Rake or somebody told them to keep their fingers out of things or else.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 28 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

#3 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

Well, since in GOTM, they actually lost their Coin, their token (pun not intended) of influence in the world, so I imagine they're forced to be either far more subtle (standard luck), or extremely direct.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

It was just an imbued item, that gave the user certain benefits with some potentially fatal risks. It's not like the gods are some kind of ephemeral entities with only a tangible connection to earth. The gods are physical, they are earth bound, they don't need a token to tie them to reality, if one of the Twins wanted to they could walk right up to you and stab you in the face for shits and giggles. They could make a hundred new coins if that is what they wished to do.

The problem they had when they lost... was it the coin as well as the sword? ... well, when they lost those invested items, they risked exposure. These items contained a sliver of their power, and as such a rival god could possibly use these items to hurt them in some way or gain some level of control perhaps.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 28 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:30 AM

Could Oponn walk right up and stab someone? Is that not denied them by their very nature?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

I would like to use an example of another ascendant who's actions are dictated by its nature who is able to act outside of their limitations, but that is a discussion for a later book.

#7 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:09 PM

IMO fun in their game is from "not directly doing" bad stuff...
"hey, look like WJ bone snapped, that was hilarious"
- "Yeah, pity it wasnt us"

And players were always too hard for them. Usually it involved Rake (MoI and TtH storyline) or Elder Gods (Lether Line). It was all "Fallen One, Poliel...no fun with tiny mortals, just powerouses". IMO:)

This post has been edited by Ulrik: 28 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#8 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

i think ST and Cot owning their sword chance is a big check on their games. St and Cot can scheme and plot just as well as oponn i'm sure, and with the sword they have a line straight to oponn... how do you think ST knew they were on obo's tower that night?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#9 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

Because Obo's tower has a different reflection in Shadow, doesn't it? Making it somewhat unique?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10 User is offline   Jaghut Engine 

• Recruit

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

From what I can remeber in HOC , Oponn (they) were thrown into the House of Chains by a mage and somehow ended up at Hoods gate ; similar to some other characters in the series have transcended (if that's the right word!) into somewhere or someone slightly different, I think they (Oponn) do make some more appearences later on in the series....
"My cactus is restless.."

#11 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:56 PM

I think it's safe to say that Oponn (and for that matter, other ascendants) has placed its signature on events and been indirectly involved in things even if they weren't being featured directly and exclusively in the way that they were throughout GotM. We can assume this is true of a variety of ascendants at various convergences (eg the Queen of Dreams has very few actual appearances / confirmed, overt maneuvers, but you can be pretty confident that she has her eye on things and is making some moves "off screen" that are in her interest.)

Take Corrabb for example. It's pretty clear that Oponn holds him (at least in HoC and BH) in some kind of regard for some means or end, even if we don't see them talking about it on screen ala GotM.

Their "flavor" is there. I think even when they don't get face time, this can be inferred.

This post has been edited by Ciceronian: 02 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#12 User is offline   Fereydoon 

• Corporal

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

View PostAdjutant Stormy, on 28 November 2010 - 10:04 AM, said:

Well, since in GOTM, they actually lost their Coin, their token (pun not intended) of influence in the world, so I imagine they're forced to be either far more subtle (standard luck), or extremely direct.

And I am wondering what exactly was the implication of Ganoes Paran giving Cottilian their sword? The book gave the impression that this would be an ominous development for Oppon,.

#13 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

well there is the little matter of ST getting them blown off a tower roof in malaz city
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users