Malazan Empire: Rilk: awesome transforming weapon of smashing, crushing and. ..blending - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rilk: awesome transforming weapon of smashing, crushing and. ..blending Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   HeWhoEatsBabies 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

Quick question, what is Rilk, the weapon carried by Ublala Pung?

Now this may seem a touch petty (and it is i guess), but well I always say if you're going to go to the effort of giving a weapon it's own name and history it only seems fair you're consistent in what it actually is.

Admittedly, this mostly comes from weapons playing a pretty big role in other series, from Druss' Snaga the Sender to Rands Callandor and Richard Rahls sword of truth. And possibly excessive amount of WoW/Diablo/Baldurs gate in years past. Mostly though I thought it was about time someone went around smashing peoples' heads in with a Mace for once. But then it became an axe, very disaapointing L

To the passages in questions, DoD page 534 Rilk is a Mace :

"Ublala brought up the mace first. Two-handed, the haft a thick, slightly bent shaft of bone, horn or antler, polished amber by antiquity. A gnarled socket of bronze capped its base. The head was vaguely shaped to form four battered bulbs – the ore was marled mercurial and deep blue."

By by DoD page 1003 it's a battleaxe,

"His Bleary, raw eyes settle on the battleaxe and he scowled. It wasn't even pretty was it. 'Smash,' he mumbled. 'Crush. Its name is Rilk, but it never says anything. How'd it tell anybody its name?"

Anyone think it's intentional? If not, i thought i'd put in my vote that when Rilk finally makes contact with someone's face it's a mace again. Good against undead are maces.

If this turns into a debate of which weapon is cooler so be it.

This post has been edited by HeWhoEatsBabies: 10 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

#2 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

Maybe its rather neolithic (eneolithic) mace, partly axe, more mace... It suits me for it is supposed to be old weapon from ancient Toblakai times.

something like this (but much more complicated and nice)

Posted Image
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#3 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

Another quote states it as a mace... could be an error...

"The ghost says there's a name for that armour," said Harlest, "even as the mace is named. First Heroes were wont to such affectations. This particular one, a Thelomen, haled from a region bordering the First Empire – in a land very distant – the same land the first Letherii came from, in fact. A belligerent bastard – his name is forgotten and best left that way. Take that armour, and the mace."

I speculated elsewhere that the armour that Ubala inherited could be the armour of the toblakai that was chained in the well in HoC

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

put it this way - Ublala isn't ther most sophisticated of champions and the distinction is lost on him. :)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

With only 4 blades it would be axe like...

Posted Image

since its old and fucked up.....the 4 bulbous shapes would probably be more like this

Posted Image

so yea....mace/axe
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#6 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

Yeah, lots of weapons could be both a blunt side to and a bladed side and be both. Especially if we are accepting, as Ulrik did, that it's preisthoric-type weapon.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#7 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

View Postdktorode, on 10 November 2010 - 02:37 PM, said:

With only 4 blades it would be axe like...

Posted Image

since its old and fucked up.....the 4 bulbous shapes would probably be more like this

Posted Image

so yea....mace/axe

I absolutely cant stop watching the Gif avatar of yours. the little person dancing is oddly mesmerizing.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#8 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

Was going to create a thread on this but found this one, good to see I'm not the only person that gets annoyed by things like this!

It took me a while to get an image of Rilk in my head, I searched online for some stone age mace heads, given as SE's an archaeologist I'm guessing this is where the inspiration for Rilk came from.

These are what I found and seems to be pretty close to the four bulbous shapes he mentions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Except made of blue meteorite or something instead of stone.

Was pretty chuffed for a while then BOOM, it's now a battleaxe. Raging.

"Crush or smash" doesn't seem to fit too well for a battleaxe... Do we just assume that Ublala is a brain donor and has no idea what it is?

This post has been edited by Wolfdrop: 21 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users