Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New MISTBORN novel in 2011 Allomancy + gunfights

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

Brandon Sanderson is publishing a new MISTBORN novel in 2011. The new book, as yet unnamed, is a stand-alone, short novel (of about 60,000 words, probably more once it's done) set about 200 years after the end of the first trilogy and will feature allomancy and firearms coexisting.

This was supposed to be a short story Sanderson would work on during his downtime from WHEEL OF TIME, but it's gotten a bit more ambitious than that.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

Bullets and steel-pushing and pulling.... Why not just shoot yourself and get it over with?

I'll read it.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

So it looks like next year we'll be getting this, Scribbler, and if we're lucky AMoL.

Edit: I guess Scribbler is still scheduled for early 2012, even though it should be finished way before then.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 09 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

#4 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

How can he produce so many novels so fast and still have time for a "downtime" 60000 word novel.

The man is a machine.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#5 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

Is this the "Untitled Project" on his blog?
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#6 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:21 AM

Scribbler and A Memory of Light are both early 2012 releases. The chances of either getting out in 2011 are slim to none, especially AMoL which he hasn't even started yet and won't until January (the first two took about 14-16 months each, but he ended up writing a lot of ToM during the writing of TGS which helped speed things up). He also wants to go straight from AMoL into Highprince of War (the sequel to The Way of Kings, although it sounds like the title will change) to get that out in late 2012 and then Book 3 a year later, although if that's as big as The Way of Kings I think it's unlikely to happen.

I think, in theory, Scribbler could be a 2011 release, but apparently it's the first in a trilogy of short novels, basically meant to replace his short Alcatraz novels in his writing schedule. So if he got it out in 2011 it might be a while before he can get to the second one and wants to have a shorter gap between them.

Still, 13 novels in six years. Some of them are short-ish, but still, the guy is a nutter. One of the few guys in the industry that makes Erikson look slow :)
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:42 AM

He's just going to write 30 novels and then retire to live off the royalties, clever bastard.

#8 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:55 AM

It might be more than 30 - the man seems to have his writing schedule for the next 10 years mapped out already. From his blog entry here http://www.brandonsa...on-Future-Books

BOOKS YOU WILL SEE SOON

• Towers of Midnight (November 2.)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens (December 2010.)
    —A note on Alcatraz. This is the fourth and final of the Alcatraz books in my contract. I do plan there to be more in this series, but I don't have time for them right now. And so, for now, this is going to stand as the ending of the series. I'll do Alcatraz Five eventually, I promise.
  • Scribbler (Early 2012)
    —A note on Scribbler. This is a shorter steampunk book I wrote in 2007, just before I got the call about The Wheel of Time. It's quite good, and Tor has decided to purchase it. It involves chalk-based magic and a boy who is the son of the cleaning lady at a school for people who learn the chalk magic. I haven't had time to give it a revision, but will likely use some of the time in my free months between now and January to do a draft of it. If I turn it in January or February, you won't see it until a year after that, due to scheduling.
BOOKS YOU WILL SEE SOMEWHAT SOON

• A Memory of Light (March 2012.)
  • Stormlight Archive Book Two (Late 2012 or early 2013.)
  • Stormlight Archive Book Three (One year after Book Two.)
ANTICIPATED SEQUELS

• Alcatraz Five (Indefinite hiatus.)
  • Elantris Two (Planned to be written after Stormlight Three.)
  • Second Mistborn trilogy (It's coming someday, I promise.)
  • Nightblood: Book two of Warbreaker (Coming someday.)
    —Some notes here. Elantris has three books in the series, but they are loose sequels of each other. This means that side characters in one become main characters in the next. So while you'll see Raoden and Sarene in the second book, they won't be main characters. (Kiin's children will be.) Warbreaker is two books. Mistborn is a trilogy of trilogies, with the second trilogy in an urban (20th-century-level technology) setting. For Stormlight, I'm planning a pattern of two every three years, with a different epic—a standalone, or one of the sequels mentioned above—in between. Thus the Elantris sequel is next in line after Stormlight Three, which would be followed by Stormlight Four and Five.
MAYBE COMING SOMEDAY BUT ONLY PARTIALLY WRITTEN

• Dark One (YA dark fantasy.)
  • Steelheart (Superhero apocalypse.)
  • The King's Necromancer
  • The Silence Divine (Shardworld novel, standalone.)
  • White Sand (Shardworld trilogy.)
  • The Liar of Partinel (Shardworld novel, one of two.)
  • Dragonsteel (Major Shardworld epic. Won't be written until Stormlight is done.)
POSSIBLE PROJECTS FOR MY TIME OFF

• Mistborn short story (Looking likely.)
  • Unnamed urban fantasy (This is what I'm working on right now. Watch Twitter/Facebook for updates on this story. It involves a necromancer pizza deliveryman as a protagonist.)
  • Scribbler revisions (Will almost certainly be done.)
  • Finishing one of the unfinished novels mentioned above (Not likely, but you never know.)

Even if he only finishes the series he has gotten published that's another 9 Stormlight, 6 mistborn, 2 Elantris, 2 Alcatraz and 1 Warbreaker. So 20 planned novels, plus other side projects between his epics. The same blog post talks about how his writing pace is probably going to slow after A memory of light because a lot of the novels he released recently were written years ago and just needed a bit of revision to be published. That aside, the man definitely sets himself a demanding pace.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

I'll read this. Ah, who am I kidding...I'll read anything Sanderson writes. The man is awesome, and a new Mistborn book sounds like a blast!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

Holy fuck! We should splice his motivation DNA into GRRM ... :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

THE ALLOY OF LAW cover baby!

HOT!

Posted Image
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Have I mentioned how much I love Steampunk? I fucking love Steampunk. My breaches are shivering just looking at those goggles,

#13 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

My thoughts exactly, Apt. I love the steampunk look on the cover.

#14 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

The color version:

Posted Image

I haven't read the trilogy yet, but I love the idea of following up a high fantasy trilogy with 300 years of technological advances.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#15 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

View PostBriar King, on 17 March 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

The main characters name is "Waxillium"

Really? sounds a bit Greek to me ;)
meh. Link was dead :(

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:15 PM

Meh, I think he wanted something he could shorten like Vin....and Wax by itself (not shortened) is rather lame as a name, at least Waxillian sounds noble-ish.

#17 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 March 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

Meh, I think he wanted something he could shorten like Vin....and Wax by itself (not shortened) is rather lame as a name, at least Waxillian sounds noble-ish.

Makes me think of "Maximillian".
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 18 March 2011 - 04:12 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 March 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

Makes me think of "Maximillian".

Yeah, that's what I was thinking and what it seems he's going for.

At any rate, is Waxillian any better than Nynaeve or Tanakalian...nah, they are fantasy names. We accept they are weird.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users