Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Enigmatic, Oft Underestimated Characters Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

There are several characters I find are often underestimated and portrayed as 'weak' despite the fact that they are quite the contrary. These are:

1. TEHOL. This Letheran has a GOD as a servant - and not just any ascendant but MAEL himself. And MAEL is considered as singularly one of the most powerful ascendansts out their. Plus, TEHOL's schemes are the epitome of intelligence.

2. KRUPPE. The person who withstood the wielder of Burn's Hammer. An enigma who we have, as yet, not understood what exactly he is. A member of Krul's House (that's obvious), the EEL and possibly even an ascendant in his own right.

3. ISKARAL PUST. He singlehandedly defeated the Diver's that was released by the Nameless Ones (forgot its name). Magus of Shadow (with Shadow being the most devious and powerful house - as far as i am concerned).

4. GANOES PARAN. To me, he is possibly the most powerful ascendant - he is the Master of the Deck of Dragons. As seen by what Errastas can do, it is logical that Paran can do better - and as MAEL states PARAN is even more powerful than ERRASTAS. His powers are regularly downplayed, and quite frankly speaking he himself has yet to full gain some confidence.

5. BOTTLE. Yet another Quick Ben - possibly even more powerful.

6. OLAR ETHIL. I was disappointed - at first talk from the Elder Gods states that she is extremely powerful (as BURN and countless others) but then she cannot defeat someone like the White Crow. Why?

What do you think?
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#2 User is offline   chill 

• Child of Malkav

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

Erm, I don't know where you found them portrayed as weak... As far as I remember, both in the books and in this forum the people you listed are given great significance.

Maybe you find them described as weak because they don't show off with their power (Mael, Pust, Bottle, Olar Ethil), or because they're plagued with doubts (Paran), or they choose to appear unsignificant (Kruppe and Pust).
Kif: Sir, remember your course correction?
Captain Zapp: No.
Kif: Well, it's proving somewhat more suicidal than we'd initially hoped.

#3 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

Well, the way Torrent is able to literally bitchslap Olar Ethil without reprecussions doesn't do her much credit, you have to admit.
QBFTW!

#4 User is offline   TheSurvivor 

• Captain
  • Interests:Reading and Writing pretty much dominate this section.

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

It's the fact Torrent did it that caused her pause. She could have killed him, could have made him suffer like Toc did or even worse but she was treated to a little humility. One must remember that it wasn't Silchas who was the true threat, at least not the entire, but was actually Rud Elalle. A man who is being played as quite possibly the most powerful soletaken alive and he's still young by human standards. So, not only did Torrent save Olar from a serious beatdown that she may or may not have come out as the victor but probably more importantly Olar was surprised that Torrent would even consider striking her. It leaves her stunned. Why didn't she kill him? Look at all the ascendants that have let humans live just because after all the time they've lived they see no point in killing someone that can't truely hurt them. Like Raest and Kallor; both have shown they can kill but at the same time they've shown a 'why bother' side.

As for everyone else, I agree with chill. Tehol, Kruppe and Iskaral want everyone to see them as weak and insane because it helps them from being noticed. One thing that constantly comes up in the series is that there are three kinds of poweful characters - those that are so strong and confident that they don't care who knows it, those that are insane, and those that don't want to draw attention to themselves. Bottle falls into the third category as well but not because he's insane, only because he doesn't want anyone to start questioning him and demanding things of him. It was a big part of his pov in DoD. As for Paran, he does doubt himself practically all the time until the last book in the Bonehunters. Still my favourite character though.

For the life of me I can't think of anyone who is underestimated. At this point in the series we've seen or heard second-hand the potential of every character. Some are simply not that great and others are walking barrows.
The world needs hypocrites...unfortunate but true.

#5 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:41 AM

Underestimated? Not by the readers, but definitely by other characters in the story at certain times. Weak? Not in the slightest.

I'm sure Olar Ethil is powerful, but part of it is surely megalomania.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#6 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:55 AM

"As for Paran, he does doubt himself practically all the time until the last book in the Bonehunters. Still my favourite character though."

Which is part of his personality, the need to constantly self-evaluate and dissect his feelings/actions.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#7 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:21 PM

View PostOtataral Toblakai, on 31 October 2010 - 10:24 AM, said:

There are several characters I find are often underestimated and portrayed as 'weak' despite the fact that they are quite the contrary. These are:

What do you think?

WEAK???? OMG who could say they are weak???:( Only in wielding sword, maybe.
You are defending those, who doesnt need defense. Well, except OE, she is too proud to confess, that Telann ritual stole her powers...or rather froze them. IMHO Kilava will kick her bony ass. And Silchas has two buffs (except fakt, that OE didnt want to fight him) - he is weakened equal of God and he has uberpowerhouse at his side.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#8 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

View Postchill, on 31 October 2010 - 11:59 AM, said:

Erm, I don't know where you found them portrayed as weak... As far as I remember, both in the books and in this forum the people you listed are given great significance.

Maybe you find them described as weak because they don't show off with their power (Mael, Pust, Bottle, Olar Ethil), or because they're plagued with doubts (Paran), or they choose to appear unsignificant (Kruppe and Pust).

I think he meant that unlike some players who violently and explicitly show their bad-assitude throughout the series, 'Rake, 'Karsa' ect ect. he's thinking of people who aren't as aggressively showy in their prowess. Bottle is shy and very worried throughout seeming to not really fully understand how terrifying he was. Olar Ethil I think was overstated a little by Erikson. She was frightening throughout it seemed (and a bitch) but never really unveiled. Kruppe and Iskaral I kind of see on the same level of power/odd especially in their dialogue in TTH which I find hilarious. I think they hint to their strength without frequently showing it. Aside from the few rare moments (Iskaral vs Dejem Nabrahl and Kruppe shrugging off Caladan Brood)

Tehol isn't powerful in a huge muscles, look at my warrens kind of way. His power is in his genius, and I actually think that SE put that across quite bluntly. He is an absolute financial genius and a holy terror to any economic system.

I pay special mention here to chars such as Amby Bole ;) and Urko woot woot

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users